4 and 3 with a bye week and 5 more games | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

4 and 3 with a bye week and 5 more games

How about competing for a conference championship? Maybe try being competitive against good teams and God forbid we actually beat a good team more than once every 5 years.I hope our goal isn’t to be 6-6 and go to the Bahama Mama turd bowl every couple years.

Whoa bud, we don't unlock the ability to contend for a Conference Championship until we've gone to at least 8 consecutive Pinstripe Bowls.

Well then you aren’t one of many that screamed for an easier schedule because it would make bowl eligibility easier and that’s what it is all about.
Honestly, we lucked out with this years OOC schedule. We catch some of the other Purdue, WMU, and Army squads of the last couple years and we could have been looking at a 2-2 start.

Whoa bud, we don't unlock the ability to contend for a Conference Championship until we've gone to at least 8 consecutive Pinstripe Bowls.
Obviously you’re making a joke and i’m not missing your sarcasm but we haven’t even been to 8 bowl games since the turn of the century. If we had 8 consecutive winning seasons we probably would be in a position to compete for a conference championship lol. Winning leads to better recruiting which leads to better results. I just don’t see how a team that is massively struggling to recruit and even gain bowl eligibility on any kind of consistent basis should have an intermediate goal of winning a conference championship. Seems we have quite a few hurdles to clear before that.

For so many years people complained that we had to lighten up the OOC enough so that we had 4 wins baked in to help become bowl eligible. Well you got what you wanted this year and now it’s a negative because we haven’t beaten anybody.

people just keep moving the goalposts because "just get to bowl games, get 7 wins" These 7 wins aren't good enough for me!! Our ACC record stinks, we aren't good in November, etc etc. 7 wins is clearly good enough for Dino's boss so why don't we just wait and see before CousCous is on zillow looking to see what Dino listed his house for

How about competing for a conference championship? Maybe try being competitive against good teams and God forbid we actually beat a good team more than once every 5 years.I hope our goal isn’t to be 6-6 and go to the Bahama Mama turd bowl every couple years.

The fact of the matter is; when one/anyone sets their bar at a minimum/mediocre type level (which is what the university/Wildhack has done with 6-6 and bowl eligible) more often than not, even this relatively low bar will fall short of its mark.

IMO, just about as shameful as it can be. And, why, until the leadership changes its paradigm, I'm no longer interested in contributing funds in support of same.

Obviously you’re making a joke and i’m not missing your sarcasm but we haven’t even been to 8 bowl games since the turn of the century. If we had 8 consecutive winning seasons we probably would be in a position to compete for a conference championship lol. Winning leads to better recruiting which leads to better results. I just don’t see how a team that is massively struggling to recruit and even gain bowl eligibility on any kind of consistent basis should have an intermediate goal of winning a conference championship. Seems we have quite a few hurdles to clear before that.

For sure. Won't happen overnight. But I did think we would be a hell of a lot closer than we are in year 8 of Dino.

What was it, second half of year two we were supposed to see his offense take off like a rocket? Hopefully he meant second half of year eight.

For sure. Won't happen overnight. But I did think we would be a hell of a lot closer than we are in year 8 of Dino.

What was it, second half of year two we were supposed to see his offense take off like a rocket? Hopefully he meant second half of year eight.
Oh I absolutely agree, which is why I’m more than ready to move off Dino. We’ve clearly seen his ceiling and if we do want to be able to compete for conference championships I think he has to go. We know what he is.

"Third year, fourth game."

That malarkey utterance of his is long past. For me, nowadays, there isn't anything that can come out his mouth relative to his football related utterances, abilities, etc. that is worth a grain of salt.

people just keep moving the goalposts because "just get to bowl games, get 7 wins" These 7 wins aren't good enough for me!! Our ACC record stinks, we aren't good in November, etc etc. 7 wins is clearly good enough for Dino's boss so why don't we just wait and see before CousCous is on zillow looking to see what Dino listed his house for

Perhaps. Still not as bad/shameful IMO as the university's actions have been with setting such a low bar (18-42 peer/conference record) where finishing this year again with a losing conference record of 3-5 probably keeps the coach's job. Moreover, the brass campaigning for continuing contributions, etc. from folks while maintaning this same low level of performance/expectations.

Dino to the board if the team wins out

1697564754303.gif

Perhaps. Still not as bad/shameful IMO as the university's actions have been with setting such a low bar (18-42 peer/conference record) where finishing this year again with a losing conference record of 3-5 probably keeps the coach's job. Moreover, the brass campaigning for continuing contributions, etc. from folks while maintaning this same low level of performance/expectations.
It's called living in reality and if you don't like it then sure stop contributing. And while a school like Kansas has hired a really good coach, what do you think their true ceiling is? I mean people can blow as much smoke as they want.

After the 5 win season in 2021, Wildhack said that going to bowl games is the expectation for the program, most accepted that as a decent expectation. The last 3 games have been horrific there is no disputing that but lets see how the last 5 play out before we just pack it in on Dino. If he falls short or only wins 6 then sure I could definitely see the University going another direction and hey that would probably be best

I think lost in the conversation is that hiring and firing coaches every 2-3 years takes donor $ to pull off. At the end of the day there isn't a ravenous type fanbase to pull this type of stuff off if you think that's not accurate I just don't know what to tell you. The University and the athletic department has to live in reality and they also have a responsibility to try and stay sound financially regardless of what the internet says

Last edited:
We weren’t as good as we were when we were 4-0 and I don’t think we are as bad as we seem at 4-3.

This team can go 8-4. Less than that, and particularly 6-6, Dino doesn’t survive a 2-6 ACC season.
We weren't that good when we were 4-0. We are worse now. 4-0 record looked good, but to me the way we played on offense during those games, foretold of future problems once we hit ACC play. I was on record stating that beyond our 4th game, we would become incredibly one dimensional, relying solely on the legs of Shrader. Our defense would be worn out due to the offense going 3 and out constantly, and I saw nothing from the wide receiver group in those games that really stood out.
We win 2 more games.

Maybe. But if we lose we'll have a lot of folks here saying that they "expected" us to lose in that hostile environment.

More likely, the pendulum would swing the other way. Win, and a lot of folks will say, "so what, we were 'expected' to win anyway... doesn't change that we weren't competitive in the last three games..."

That’s moving the bar again. For THIS year everyone talked about being bowl eligible again or winning 7 games etc. I don’t remember anyone saying the only measuring stick was conference record.

7 wins is all that matters. Not sure why people are in such a hurry to say the next game seals his fate, it 100% does not. They have given him 8 years, they will wait until after the Wake game to do anything unless he goes into the Wake game at 4-7, then maybe
Not sure why people are acting like they sat in Wildhack's office and knows exactly when he plans to pull the trigger.

The fact of the matter is; when one/anyone sets their bar at a minimum/mediocre type level (which is what the university/Wildhack has done with 6-6 and bowl eligible) more often than not, even this relatively low bar will fall short of its mark.

IMO, just about as shameful as it can be. And, why, until the leadership changes its paradigm, I'm no longer interested in contributing funds in support of same.
The school decided this back in the early 2000's

Since 2010, only 3 of the 14 ACC teams have won a conference title - one of those was Pitt in an incredibly weird season. All the rest are Clemson and Florida State.

Let’s say they get 8 wins 4-2 over the last 6 including bowl (something that’s happened only 4 times in the last 24 years) and they increase their win total for the third-straight year. To me, I’m happy with the progress if that’s how it works out…. Even when P had us in the national conversation, 8 wins was considered a good year (McNabb senior year was an 8-4 team and I think everyone fondly remembers that team)

Depends on how we play. If we get crushed again and only win 6 i think hes gone. Most likely will depend on remaining buyout of Dino and staff
Rumor has it the Yankee Stadium $ from moving the Pitt game covers the buyout/remaining year of the contract. I didn’t like the move at first, taking the home game away, but if it was done as insurance for a payout after a firing, it's not such a bad idea.

Last edited:
Since 2010, only 3 of the 14 ACC teams have won a conference title - one of those was Pitt in an incredibly weird season. All the rest are Clemson and Florida State.

Let’s say they get 8 wins 4-2 over the last 6 including bowl (something that’s happened only 4 times in the last 24 years) and they increase their win total for the third-straight year. To me, I’m happy with the progress if that’s how it works out…. Even when P had us in the national conversation, 8 wins was considered a good year (McNabb senior year was an 8-4 team and I think everyone fondly remembers that team)
You mean back when we were competing and beating ranked teams?Back then I felt confident we could win playing top 10 teams , but I have zero confidence nowadays playing the big boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom