42k seat outdoor stadium between the Thruway, Turningstone, | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

42k seat outdoor stadium between the Thruway, Turningstone,

Personally I think we'll see a new stadium with retractable roof within 10 years within 2-3 miles of center campus. It will be a mixed use project (residential, retail, lodging, entertainment, transportation hub) with state/private/university money. SU isn't just building a stadium for use 6-10 times a year...When you throw in basketball and different configurations I could easily see 40-50 uses a year and possibly up to 100. Remember unlike 115+ other Div 1 FB schools basketball at Syracuse can draw FB sized crowds. Additionally Syracuse is leaving millions of dollars a year on the table with naming rights and luxury boxes in the Carrier Dome. Plus removing the Dome from Main Campus will allow several new buildings to get built next to the quad.

The air supported Dome is obsolete...how many are left? not too many.

To really be New York's College Team, starting next season we will only have one game in Syracuse. We will play the rest of our games in Ralph Wilson Stadium (Buffalo), Sahlen's Stadium (Rochester), Metlife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ), University Field (Albany), and the Watertown Fairgrounds (Watertown.)

i like the one they use now, but dont use enough.

the one just west of NYC with the built in train station, right next to the airport, with unbelievable amounts of onsight parking.

theres a lot of suites for fundraising and multiple bars, restaurants and lounges...all with views of the action.

they need to play there at least 2x a year, maybe 3x.

you mean the one in nj where the nj pro teams play?

Philly guys are so salty, 4 rings to none.

The Dome will be around for as long as all of us here are.

you mean the one in nj where the nj pro teams play?
theres 5 Lombardi's housed there.

we will lend, hell...GIVE...you the jets one, that way you philly folk can see what one looks like.

Oh Lord

On campus stadiums are ALWAYS superior to off-campus stadiums. Especially stadiums located in the middle of nowhere on an interstate highway next to a trailer park (or RV park).

Can I "Like" this twice?

The air supported Dome is obsolete...how many are left? not too many.
Not sure why it is "obsolete". The roof is air supported and does the same thing any roof will do...keep our rain and other weather. Sure, the technology is not cutting edge but it does work and it's cheap. The new retractable-roof stadiums seem to be all pro stadiums and in many cases, financed (at least in part) by municipalities. They cost in the many hundreds of millions to billions.

You'd be wrong about that because thought has been given to other ideas as to a football stadium and location. In fact, while I won't mention the poster in case they don't want to come forward, a poster here knows of someone that was ay one time thinking about backing such a project with a large sum of money. Was probably 4-5 years ago. So it's not an impossibility.
Go ahead and shoot

If you think student attendance is bad now (and it is), imagine moving the stadium 35 minutes away to the middle of nowhere for noon games.

I grew up not far from the old train station in East Syracuse. That's not exactly where the proposed site was. It was actually where Walmart is now (other side of 290). I was in h.s. and loved the idea then but putting it on or adjacent to the campus is/was the right thing.

Ok... so it won't happen soon but if they were to build a new stadium...why not at Skytop (even if they have to buy some land from the quarry) or plop it on Drumlins?

Not sure why it is "obsolete". The roof is air supported and does the same thing any roof will do...keep our rain and other weather. Sure, the technology is not cutting edge but it does work and it's cheap. The new retractable-roof stadiums seem to be all pro stadiums and in many cases, financed (at least in part) by municipalities. They cost in the many hundreds of millions to billions.

The roof per se is fine...but the stadium was built on the cheap and limits SU's ability to produce revenue.

I'd miss the Dome so much. You know how many kids have been able to say: "Yeah, I played a high school football/basketball game at the Dome"? Kids in Upstate NY dream about there.

I'd miss the Dome so much. You know how many kids have been able to say: "Yeah, I played a high school football/basketball game at the Dome"? Kids in Upstate NY dream about there.
Well...they'd say the same thing about a new dome.

I grew up not far from the old train station in East Syracuse. That's not exactly where the proposed site was. It was actually where Walmart is now (other side of 290). I was in h.s. and loved the idea then but putting it on or adjacent to the campus is/was the right thing.

I agree being on campus is awesome but SU's current plan of building sure suggests at best they will surround the Dome with buildings and at worst they plan to tear it down. I think a South Campus site using 18 holes of Drumlins along with transportation infrastructure improvements might offer a sound alternative.

The roof per se is fine...but the stadium was built on the cheap and limits SU's ability to produce revenue.

how do you figure??

again, football is there only 6 or 7x a year.

you dont need luxury boxes to sell out a Boss concert.

hoop drops 30k in there 2 or 3x a year.

why build something new just for the sake of building it??

the school has got to be in the black on it.

it will be used for 50 more years for football.

hoop may get its on place, seating 20k, but not for the foreseeable future. plus, when JB goes, who the F knows what will become of the program.

Oh Lord

While that's absolutely true, big time recruits don't.

I agree being on campus is awesome but SU's current plan of building sure suggests at best they will surround the Dome with buildings and at worst they plan to tear it down. I think a South Campus site using 18 holes of Drumlins along with transportation infrastructure improvements might offer a sound alternative.

I'll personally take a bulldozer to Hole #14.

Fixed
exactly, but i didnt want to get that spat fired up again.

5x a year is even more of reason to keep the status quo.

Oh Lord

On campus stadiums are ALWAYS superior to off-campus stadiums. Especially stadiums located in the middle of nowhere on an interstate highway next to a trailer park (or RV park).

I'd really love to see them get some land like Oakwood Cemetery and turn that into a proper parking lot. It would also be nice if they widened Comstock, so that traffic could move better between the Dome and parking by Manley and South Campus. Lack of parking is a huge drawback to me, as I get older. Just don't love the walk up that freaking hill especially in the bad weather.

I'm trying to inject some reality into the mess that this place has become. I didn't say there aren't things they can't do to market the product. There are some improvements that they can make to the stadium.

But reality says there are some things that they can't.

1. There are no resources for a new stadium.
2. They can't tie up surrounding real estate for parking to benefit a couple of thousands fans less than 30 days out of 365.
3. There is no ability to replicate a Big10/SEC pre-post game environment here.

When people accept those realities, adapt, move on and make the best of it, they will be a lot happier than constantly complaining about things that aren't going to change.

What about part of Oakwood cemetery ? That's the perfect spot. I don't think people have been actively buried there for quite a long time, although I could be mistaken.

where have they said they are banning tailgating??

tailgating is no longer an option??

if i missed that, then i am truely sorry.

Oh Lord

I know you can't help but be snarky, but if you think parking around the Dome is a good experience, you haven't been paying attention. The few lots that exist are being eaten up for new buildings. They need a new parking option. If they really want people to use Manley and South Campus, they need to get the City to add 2 lanes to Comstock Ave so that the traffic can actually get you to the game in less than 45 minutes. It's ridiculous how backed up it gets if you try to park down there.

and the RV park.

Amtrack line runs right by it.
Get it built on the Fair grounds with state assistance. Great highway system and even better parking. Getting in and out easily is one of the great considerations for many. The hastle of parking and getting away from the exit clog is sometimes maddening. Its gotta be a Dome ,only larger in seating capacity. The walkways must be larger. The slow footed packed egress is /was terrible for little kids and everyone else.Dome officials not wanting to open the maindoorways to avoid loss of air pressure was and I presume still ridiculous.:crazy::confused: