44 IS RESTORED | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

GD right !

victory.jpg

I think we should have had a halftime celebration during the CMU game to properly unretire it, closest to the manner in which it was retired.

Pull the jersey down from the rafters, and suspend Dr. and Mrs. Gross up there in its place.
There's no need to take the jersey down.

Moontan said:
There's no need to take the jersey down.

Yes there is. Take down the big ugly one, and put up three individual jerseys with brown, Davis, and little on them. And in 20 years maybe there will be a couple more up there too.

You have mackey, McNabb, up there. Why not just a big 88, or 5? Because, that's why. Take down one giant ridiculous one, and put up one for each of the greats.

This is a must, and the only way that those three are properly enshrined in the dome, as far as horse hanging goes.

The Dome looks weird without people in it, but that doesn't stop us from playing there.

I hope people didn't really think I wanted to take down the jersey and put the Gross family up there in its place.

Actually, at this point, who cares.

I honestly didnt see your post, I was just skimming at work and saw moon's post about not taking it down.

Yes there is. Take down the big ugly one, and put up three individual jerseys with brown, Davis, and little on them. And in 20 years maybe there will be a couple more up there too.

You have mackey, McNabb, up there. Why not just a big 88, or 5? Because, that's why. Take down one giant ridiculous one, and put up one for each of the greats.

This is a must, and the only way that those three are properly enshrined in the dome, as far as horse hanging goes.

I hope they take the jersey down, and replace it with a good-looking jersey (or as bnoro suggested on Twitter, hang three new ones for Brown, Ernie, and Floyd)

I like that too

Best troll ever of RW flips. Just saying.
Thanks for bringing that negative attitude to a good news day. Great work!

"Oh no, everyone is feeling really upbeat about the football program...time to change that!"

RW is not flipping. Can we please squash this crap? And even putting Washington aside, 44 still needed to be restored regardless of whether he was coming to SU or not.

Last edited:
Having proper Brown, Davis, Little, Mackey, Csonka, Morris, McPherson, McNabb, Harrison, Freeney, etc. jerseys is great. I just made the comment to indicate that it's OK to have a 44 on the field as well as having #44 (and/or those who previously wore it) honored in the rafters.

And even putting Washington aside, 44 still needed to be restored regardless of whether he was coming to SU or not.
Agreed, though FHCDM once mentioned to me that a previous recruit was worth restoring 44 for... "he is that good".

The coaches have known for a while that 44 could be a powerful recruiting tool. I'm glad that's once again an option.

KaiserUEO said:
to me...the Tradition was for it to be honored everywhere. which is why they changed the exchange... and zip. its bigger than whether or not a player has it. i dont need to see some kid on the field sporting it...succeeding or not...to make it larger than life. and when its not succeeding...its bad. unwanted publicity for the kid and the school. is for running backs or for the school?? to me, its for the school. DC and Wallace wore it beautifically...they werent running backs.

Unwanted publicity? C'mon. If a kid wears it, they know what's up.

In Football, it goes to a RB.

It can be honored everywhere AND on the field.

Agreed, though FHCDM once mentioned to me that a previous recruit was worth restoring 44 for... "he is that good".

The coaches have known for a while that 44 could be a powerful recruiting tool. I'm glad that's once again an option.

Gus Edwards? Or better?

Bout damn time! Glad smarter heads prevailed up on the hill.

Chip said:
The Dome looks weird without people in it, but that doesn't stop us from playing there. I hope people didn't really think I wanted to take down the jersey and put the Gross family up there in its place. Actually, at this point, who cares.

They should hang statues in its place, since that's kind of our thing now apparently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom