44 IS RESTORED | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

Strongly disagree. Look at the list of board members. How many of them are famous FB alumnus?

It's board management 101. Someone needed to reach out to McNabb before the announcement.

If they did and Donovan decided to blow them off, then that's on #5.

I can assure you all of one going, McNabb did not make any friends at his alma mater today...no matter of how it happened. He has essentially ruined the school's PR event.

It certainly is mcnabb's business. He's on the BOARD!
It's not a BOT decision. It's an athletics department/football program decision. His being on the board doesn't matter, if you ask me.

Now, if they wanted to reach out to some of the recent football legends? Fine. But I really don't see how it's a BOT issue.

cuseguy said:
Cue the forthcoming apology from McNabb.

Nah. These days you just say you were hacked.

(by Michael Owens)

do i have to go get my damn phone or is one of you stalkers who post tweets all day long when im at work, yet cant access it...going to post what soupy mcpuke is saying??

is he on my side?? do i have to start writing for him??

Regardless - it's still on #5. He's turned into (or unveiled) some weird persona after he quit playing.
Now again, keep in mind he's my favorite SU player ever, and he's the reason I became an Eagles fan.

That said, I'll never forget my freshman year at SU, a friend of mine worked concessions at the Dome and one of his coworkers, who was a junior or senior and had known McNabb through mutual acquaintances (I got there the year after he graduated) rolled her eyes when I mentioned how much I loved him and went into a rant about what a two-faced jerk he actually was. Always stuck with me, because I never thought it could be true.

I'm not saying it is, either. But his post playing career is making me think she may not have been as far off as I wanted to believe.

KaiserUEO said:
do i have to go get my damn phone or is one of you stalkers who post tweets all day long when im at work, yet cant access it...going to post what soupy mcpuke is saying?? is he on my side?? do i have to start writing for him??

I'd link them here from my phone if I knew how. It's about a 4 tweet rant. He talks about tradition but then he clearly doesn't know our school colors anymore (I think he referred to them as Orange and Blue, no mention of Gray or White).

jekelish said:
It's not a BOT decision. It's an athletics department/football program decision. His being on the board doesn't matter, if you ask me. Now, if they wanted to reach out to some of the recent football legends? Fine. But I really don't see how it's a BOT issue.

I will assume you've never worked in an organization with a board before, right?

Not being snarky, just asking.

I will assume you've never worked in an organization with a board before, right?

Not being snarky, just asking.
Yes, I have. I work in college sports. I've worked with both an athletics specific board, and a BOT. This is a decision that would be decided by our athletics specific board, not the BOT, at my college.

If Syracuse has an athletics alumni board, and McNabb is on it? Okay. But otherwise, at my college, he'd have no say in an athletics specific decision.

Sweet assumption, though.

You know what the important thing is here? Syracuse football is on the front page of ESPN.com's college football section as one of the main headlines for a very positive reason.

And we've got a famous alum shooting his mouth off about it, trying to kill the buzz. It's absurd. And no, I will never think it's his place to talk about it unless it's made explicitly clear that the BOT was actually consulted (and I don't think they should have been).

Yes, I have. I work in college sports. I've worked with both an athletics specific board, and a BOT. This is a decision that would be decided by our athletics specific board, not the BOT, at my college.

If Syracuse has an athletics alumni board, and McNabb is on it? Okay. But otherwise, at my college, he'd have no say in an athletics specific decision.

with all due respect, and i still like your site despite your homage to me in its infancy for theres some good stuff there...youre wrong on this, just like you wrong on that.

you got to look at the big picture and stop thinking small.

soupy really shouldnt be out there, whether i agree with him in some respect or not.

What happened to mom's old rule: "If you don't have something nice to Tweet, don't Tweet at all."?

You simply don't diss your friends and family in public.

Last edited:
I have as well. And there is no way in hell I would have made a football related PR move without at least knowing what Mcnabb's opinion was and managing that issue to prevent tonight's events from playing out as they have. Someone should have known.

Not saying it's his decision. But saying it's not his business is, well, naive and wreckless PR management.

Now the schools big PR move has been wrecked by its most famous football playing Board Member.

If you going to walk away and say "it is what it is and it was none if his business anyway"...really?

You're splitting hairs, he's in university leadership to the average follower.

You're splitting hairs, he's in university leadership to the average follower.
I'm not really, though. I'm saying I don't believe he should have a say, because I don't view this is a board of trustees matter. It's an athletics department and football program matter.

I'm not really, though. I'm saying I don't believe he should have a say, because I don't view this is a board of trustees matter. It's an athletics department and football program matter.

Yeah but most people don't know the difference.

He just does goofy stuff sometimes, like this move.

I have as well. And there is no way in hell I would have made a football related PR move without at least knowing what Mcnabb's opinion was and managing that issue to prevent tonight's events from playing out as they have. Someone should have known.

Not saying it's his decision. But saying it's not his business is, well, naive and wreckless PR management.

Now the schools big PR move has been wrecked by its most famous football playing Board Member.

If you going to walk away and say "it is what it is and it was none if his business anyway"...really?
I think it's overstating things to say it's been "wrecked" because more people are thinking "man, McNabb looks like an idiot" than anything, and that's IF they are even paying attention to what he said.

And all I'm saying is that in my opinion, I don't care what he thinks, and don't believe he really had a say in the matter to begin with. Until I'm told that the board of trustees was actually a part of the process that'll continue to be my stance. Period.

Yeah but most people don't know the difference.

He just does goofy stuff sometimes, like this move.
Now that I can agree with. It's probably part of working in athletics, it's given me a different perspective, where people in athletics tend to think of BOT decisions as it impacts athletics as meddling (and that's not me, it's from talking to coaches, administrators, etc, over my 12 years working in college athletics), since most people on the BOT don't tend to really know much of anything about athletics (I'm speaking from first hand experience here) and even if they do, they're more concerned with big picture matters that impact the entire institution.

Either way, it was incredibly poor form for McNabb, particularly after Brown and Little both supported the move.

I think it's overstating things to say it's been "wrecked" because more people are thinking "man, McNabb looks like an idiot" than anything, and that's IF they are even paying attention to what he said.

And all I'm saying is that in my opinion, I don't care what he thinks, and don't believe he really had a say in the matter to begin with. Until I'm told that the board of trustees was actually a part of the process that'll continue to be my stance. Period.
While that's all true, when you have a BOT member who specializes in a certain industry/specialty it's not crazy to think that when a major decision is announced relating to this industry/specialty that that Trustee would at least be notified in advance... especially when that industry/specialty is as high profile as football. Maybe even more so when said Trustee has a history of speaking out. That said, I believe it was simply up to Donovan to keep quiet.

Last edited:
McNabb is in the "look at me business"

I guess he missed the whole fiduciary duty to the institution as a board member briefing. He let his personal interest trump his duty to the school.

He should resign.

Moontan said:
While that's all true, when you have a BOT member who specializes in a certain industry/specialty it's not crazy to think that when a major decision is announced relating to this industry/specialty that that Trustee would at least be notified in advance... especially when that industry/specialty is as high profile as football. Maybe even more so when said Trustee has a history of speaking out. That said, I believe it was simply up to Donovan keep quiet.

Exactly. Ultimately this is on #5. Either he was blindsided, or spouted off anyway. I hope the latter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom