49% FG, 38% 3PT in conference play for JJ | Syracusefan.com

49% FG, 38% 3PT in conference play for JJ

I think him and Moore will be a very good combo splitting time at 2G. But I do not want to see him running point. People expecting him to learn how to use his left hand over the summer are delusional. You either develop that skill by 8th grade or it’s not happening.

We're now getting the JJ we thought we would get. His form is getting tighter and tighter. Way less out and then up double motion. JJ and Gmacs extra time in the gym is working. You can see his confidence growing game over game...giddy up!
He got his shot back about 5 games ago. His injuries probably caused him to compensate for them and once that occurs he had to regain his old form which he has done. I can't wait to see him next season as I believe he has All ACC talent. So happy for him as im sure he has put in an enormous amount of work to get back to this point.

I’m just waiting for this group to have Westry playing. He loves to pass the ball and this team needs this. If he can play this year, give him a chance. Even with a medical redshirt, I doubt he hangs around college for four more years. Working him up to speed will be the hardest thing. Matt Park did say he was doing drills at practice on Friday.

The best thing for this team is JJ being the back court scorer and Judah being back court distributor who also scores. It’s clear over the course of the season that the staff has been pushing for this. However, it took longer because JJ struggled to shoot early in the season. It’s hard to expect Judah to keep passing to a guy who’s shooting 38 & 10.

JJ is certainly a different player when he’s shooting like this. When he struggled early on, it put a lot of pressure on the rest of his game. Most of those mental/pressing mistakes have gone away.

I think fans make a couple of general mistakes when evaluating players. The first is that we expect them to perform to the best abilities that we have seen at all times. This is of course, completely unrealistic, especially with young players. The second is that we get down on them too easily after bad games. I am as guilty of this as anyone. Fan is short for fanatic.

Last edited:
He got his shot back about 5 games ago. His injuries probably caused him to compensate for them and once that occurs he had to regain his old form which he has done. I can't wait to see him next season as I believe he has All ACC talent. So happy for him as im sure he has put in an enormous amount of work to get back to this point.
He's actually been very good since Dec 1st but I don't think many realized because he dug himself such a hole with his shooting in Nov and entered Dec as a .050 shooter from three. He shot 45% for three in December and is shooting 40% from three overall since Dec 1 and is just now getting over .300 for the season because of his start. He's been solid the last 2 months but you can definitely see the confidence growing of late. When he plays like this we are a tough team to beat.

In the last 11 games (since Cornell) JJ is 20/50 from 3 for 40%. During that same time Judah is 3/20 for 15%. If you told me that was going to be the case over the last 11 games I would have said no way! Good on JJ for this turn around, he deserves major props (along with Gmac) for all the work he’s been putting in! And it has been much needed with Judah’s outside shoot struggling, as teams now can’t sag off of both guards.

In the last 11 games (since Cornell) JJ is 20/50 from 3 for 40%. During that same time Judah is 3/20 for 15%. If you told me that was going to be the case over the last 11 games I would have said no way! Good on JJ for this turn around, he deserves major props (along with Gmac) for all the work he’s been putting in! And it has been much needed with Judah’s outside shoot struggling, as teams now can’t sag off of both guards.
Judah never takes an in rhythm jump shot. He’s always hunting fouls. It hurts his shooting.

I’m just waiting for this group to have Westry playing. He loves to pass the ball and this team needs this. If he can play this year, give him a chance. Even with a medical redshirt, I doubt he hangs around college for four more years. Working him up to speed will be the hardest thing. Matt Park did say he was doing drills at practice on Friday.
He’s not “practicing” but he worked out before practice and looked pretty good. I don’t think he’s full speed yet but he looks damn good. He’s going to be fun.

Judah's mechanics are definitely off on jump shots from distance.
It’s like that scene in the Exorcist where the priest absorbed the bad shooting mechanics and cured Regan.

It’s like that scene in the Exorcist where the priest absorbed the bad shooting mechanics and cured Regan.
Yeah, I'm sure that's the image that immediately comes to mind for most...

Judah's mechanics are definitely off on jump shots from distance.
It looks like he almost sidearms the shot.

Which, uh, is unusual in basketball.

It looks like he almost sidearms the shot.

Which, uh, is unusual in basketball.
I know what you mean. But it's more that he rotates his elbow away from vertical slightly. The longer the jumper the more he rotates it out. That imparts the sideways spin. That is likely a habit from when he was younger and needed to get more behind the shot to reach. It's a very tough habit to break.

Attachments

• 1706476234972.png
    1706476234972.png
    404.8 KB · Views: 25
Judah never takes an in rhythm jump shot. He’s always hunting fouls. It hurts his shooting.
If Judah could be a little more selective about when he hunts for fouls & use those opportunities to instead get a good shot off, he'd really accelerate his game.

I know what you mean. But it's more that he rotates his elbow away from vertical slightly. The longer the jumper the more he rotates it out. That imparts the sideways spin. That is likely a habit from when he was younger and needed to get more behind the shot to reach. It's a very tough habit to break.
That's a a great observation. It does look like a kid's form that's shooting outside of their natural range.

We're now getting the JJ we thought we would get. His form is getting tighter and tighter. Way less out and then up double motion. JJ and Gmacs extra time in the gym is working. You can see his confidence growing game over game...giddy up!
Just another reminder that we had multiple posters on this board comparing Starling to Louie freakin McCroskey, saying he was the worst shooting guard we had since McCroskey, and expressing little faith he would improve this season and no faith that his shooting would improve at all. Even though the kid was a McDonalds All American and rated as a top 10 transfer, they lost all faith less than a month into the season. JB hanging on for several years past when he should have retired really broke large parts of this fanbase. We have a first year head coach and a team comprised of mostly sophomores and there’s still so much negativity. This is a very young team and the fanbase needs to try to have some patience. The last time we had two sophomores leading the team in scoring was 1954-55!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom