$5 Million Gift to Lally Athletics Complex Honors Floyd Little | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

$5 Million Gift to Lally Athletics Complex Honors Floyd Little

As a member of the Syracuse University band, Howard "Howie" Phanstiel '70, G'71, had an up-close view of the greatness of No. 44 Floyd Little '67, H'16. From his seat on the sidelines, instrument in hand, Phanstiel vividly remembers the speed and determination Little displayed in carrying the football for the Orange. They were contemporaries as students who became friends later in life, bonded by their passion for their alma mater.

Now, Phanstiel and his wife, Louise Phanstiel, are paying tribute to the Syracuse University legend, pledging a $5 million gift to the Forever Orange campaign that will enhance the student-athlete experience in alignment with the vision of the $150 million fundraising initiative recently announced by the Department of Athletics. In recognition of the Phanstiels' generosity, an atrium entryway commonly referred to as the Little Atrium will be named in honor of Little.
You think that’s something, wait until the Mrs. & Mr. Bees gift hits the news. Wow!!!

You can glimpse the signage at the 1:20 mark.
It doesn't knock me out but looking at the video quickly, the quality of the images is so poor it is hard to make any intelligent conclusions.

Here is a still I pulled from just after the 'camera' enters the new facility.

Lally.png

There is clearly going to be a stairway to the second floor not far from the main entrance. I think that is where the new study areas will eventually be..

It looks like there is a greeting area that will be outfitted with a receptionist, a desk, some photos, a clock, some plants, etc. But they just left the area empty for this video.

There is some kind of treatment on the stairway wall. Not sure if there are exposed pebbles, whether this is supposed to some kind of fancy patterned treatment of the wall. It looks, like so much of the video, like hell.

I get it. This isn't supposed to be a faithful depiction of the final product. But there has to be an electronic version of 'house staging' for these fancy athletic facilities. It would have been good to add some staging or at least improve the quality of the imagery before releasing this video.

I have seen a lot of the ACC football operations buildings and none are great looking. I think these buildings are one of the rare times in college athletes where function is prioritized.

Example: here is a look at RU's football operations center. It looks like the back side of a really ugly store that was designed by a tasteless cad.

I love Manley. God Bless the Manley family and all the others who helped make it happen. But it never was pretty either. Trying to throw an addition on that complex and making the whole thing transformative is just not going to happen.

I think when all is said and done, it is going to be very nice and a huge boost for the football program, and all the other Olympic sports as well.

It could be worse. Witness our friends in Piscataway.

Rutgers-Hale-1.jpg

It doesn't knock me out but looking at the video quickly, the quality of the images is so poor it is hard to make any intelligent conclusions.

Here is a still I pulled from just after the 'camera' enters the new facility.

View attachment 224834

There is clearly going to be a stairway to the second floor not far from the main entrance. I think that is where the new study areas will eventually be..

It looks like there is a greeting area that will be outfitted with a receptionist, a desk, some photos, a clock, some plants, etc. But they just left the area empty for this video.

There is some kind of treatment on the stairway wall. Not sure if there are exposed pebbles, whether this is supposed to some kind of fancy patterned treatment of the wall. It looks, like so much of the video, like hell.

I get it. This isn't supposed to be a faithful depiction of the final product. But there has to be an electronic version of 'house staging' for these fancy athletic facilities. It would have been good to add some staging or at least improve the quality of the imagery before releasing this video.

I have seen a lot of the ACC football operations buildings and none are great looking. I think these buildings are one of the rare times in college athletes where function is prioritized.

Example: here is a look at RU's football operations center. It looks like the back side of a really ugly store that was designed by a tasteless cad.

I love Manley. God Bless the Manley family and all the others who helped make it happen. But it never was pretty either. Trying to throw an addition on that complex and making the whole thing transformative is just not going to happen.

I think when all is said and done, it is going to be very nice and a huge boost for the football program, and all the other Olympic sports as well.

It could be worse. Witness our friends in Piscataway.

Rutgers-Hale-1.jpg
Just a couple notes from what I have experienced and what I see. Often these renderings and fly through are done with less design progress than you’d think because they want to get something out to assist fund raising. Too often the render company, and not the architect are providing a lot of these “flourishes”. The pebbles you suggest is really a metal plate guard with a handrail on the inside. It is perforated (Swiss cheese) and we can see the wall beyond which is orange up to the same height as the guard. This is the bit to the left of the image, which is the stair turning into the room.

It will never not be amusing/infuriating to me some of the garbage that goes on architecturally on the Hill when the university HAS AN ARCHITECTURE SCHOOL. Of course, they also have a communications school and routinely screw up press releases, digital communications, signage, jerseys, etc. so I shouldn't be too surprised.
That's how I feel about the Syracuse University signage on Waverly and University Ave.

Extremely tacky. Even the residence halls aren't this blatant with their signage.
Agree. Too big, and the letters should not be orange. I love orange but not in this context, on this building.

It will be quietly removed/replaced within a year.

Agree. Too big, and the letters should not be orange. I love orange but not in this context, on this building.

It will be quietly removed/replaced within a year.

Yeah, that's how I felt about the orange glowing block S in the lobby of the NVRC. Gorgeous building, and then that out-of-context afterthought got plunked into a visible spot.

One gets the sense that intra-institutional politics (or, in the case of donors, other influence) override good design principles in some cases.

Yeah, that's how I felt about the orange glowing block S in the lobby of the NVRC. Gorgeous building, and then that out-of-context afterthought got plunked into a visible spot.

One gets the sense that intra-institutional politics (or, in the case of donors, other influence) override good design principles in some cases.
Haven't seen it but I'll take your word for it.

Agreed. I said this about Einsley, with first hand knowledge

Everything they have been doing the last five years or so has an impermanence. It’s all somewhat plastic

Yup, I've heard that first-hand as well.

Complain all you want about the signage. I'm just happy that we're getting the facilities.
Agreed. It is an enormous step forward, not only for the football team but for all Olympics sports as well. Very glad we are able to finally discuss this project, recent progress and when part of it will finally be completed.