5 sec. call | Syracusefan.com

5 sec. call

JoeSU

All American
I was wondering what everyone's take was on the 5 second call on the inbounds attempt near the end of the game. As things turned out, it wasn't critical, but JB was about as livid as I've seen him get in recent years. It sure looked to me like Fair was attempting to call a TO after about 3-4 secs, but he wasn't very demonstrative about it.

I was wondering what everyone's take was on the 5 second call on the inbounds attempt near the end of the game. As things turned out, it wasn't critical, but JB was about as livid as I've seen him get in recent years. It sure looked to me like Fair was attempting to call a TO after about 3-4 secs, but he wasn't very demonstrative about it.

The fact that they looked at it too. I think once you get past 4 seconds officials are very hesitant to grant you that TO unless you really make a solid effort to call it. I dont know if CJ did that. It was close.

The fact that they looked at it too. I think once you get past 4 seconds officials are very hesitant to grant you that TO unless you really make a solid effort to call it. I dont know if CJ did that. It was close.
Are the officials allowed to reverse a 5 sec call based on a replay? If not, what were they checking at the scorer's table?

watching it live it felt like 5 seconds, but when its that close the refs usually grant the timeout.

these Big East officials are going to try to screw us any way that they can for the rest of the season...that is our going away "gift"...it was a pretty quick 5 seconds

Are the officials allowed to reverse a 5 sec call based on a replay? If not, what were they checking at the scorer's table?

I was pretty surprised that they even looked at it. Normally those calls are either yes or no.

I thought the rule was that you have 5 seconds, but can only call timeout up to 4. Then you have to inbound it (or, as last night, turn it over). Then again, that may be a guideline, as opposed to a rule. Really not sure.

I was at the game, and without benefit of replay, it was awfully close.

I put a link of the video in the articles, count it for yourself

I thought the rule was that you have 5 seconds, but can only call timeout up to 4. Then you have to inbound it (or, as last night, turn it over). Then again, that may be a guideline, as opposed to a rule. Really not sure.

I was at the game, and without benefit of replay, it was awfully close.

I don't understand that. Why would they implement an arbitrary limit of 5 seconds to inbound but then another arbitrary limit of 4 seconds to call the TO?

everyones take should be outrage.

it was ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

it was 3.5 seconds AND fair called a TO.

Borderline, have to reward good defense too sometimes, and they played damn good defense in the last 5 min.

Ranks well below the BMK phantom illegal pick towards the end of the Temple game.

You da man!

According to my stopwatch (and the YouTube clock/timer), from the time the ref hands the ball to Fair, until he blows his whistle, is right around 4 secs.(and Fair called TO before that). And as Corduroy stated, even when it is close to 5, the refs usually grant to time-out.

Terrible call in a critical game situation.

these Big East officials are going to try to screw us any way that they can for the rest of the season...that is our going away "gift"...it was a pretty quick 5 seconds

I felt like there was a lot of that last night. I thought Providence got away with a lot of contact on our drives to the hoop and we get called for ticky tack reaches 30 ft. from the hoop.

We need the cheerleader coach to teach our players how to YELL timeout while making cross-body T with their whole arms.

It was as bad as the call on MCW for brushing shorts on the inbounds. Guy falls down so it must be a foul, right? sheesh

It sure looked like CJ was saying TO before the 5 sec. Was not too impressed by the officiating at all.

It sure seemed like the officials were trying to keep Providence in it. The 5 second call and the MCW foul where he barely touched the guy come immediately to mind.

I am usually very lenient on officials because most things are judgment calls, refs may have poor angles at viewing plays, and I'm viewing things through the lens of a biased fan.

However, a five-second call is one of the easiest calls to make. Orangeyes mentioned the video below. When you review this video, keep your eye on the ref's right hand, which he is using to signal his count. As far as I can tell, he counted to three and blew the whistle. That is a bit troubling.

The worst thing about this was that the refs then turned around and let PC get away with a flagrant 5 sec violation on an inbounds play a minute later. In the final minute or so of the game clock, PC was doing the roll-the-ball trick and didn't pick it up until at least 6 seconds had passed. The ref should still be doing his 5 second count until that ball is picked up.

The worst thing about this was that the refs then turned around and let PC get away with a flagrant 5 sec violation on an inbounds play a minute later. In the final minute or so of the game clock, PC was doing the roll-the-ball trick and didn't pick it up until at least 6 seconds had passed. The ref should still be doing his 5 second count until that ball is picked up.

The count stops once the ball is released by the inbounder, not when it's received by the person he's passing it to:

Section 68 Article 5. A thrower-in shall have five seconds from receiving disposal of the ball to release the throw-in. The throw-in count shall end when the ball is released by the thrower-in so that the ball goes directly into the playing court.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR11.pdf

Hmmm. Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the impression is was when a player received it. I've even heard announcers reference similar thoughts (not they are usually bastions of knowledge).

It was as bad as the call on MCW for brushing shorts on the inbounds. Guy falls down so it must be a foul, right? sheesh
It looked like he turned his ankle and fell. Ref was in the wrong position.

Hmmm. Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the impression is was when a player received it. I've even heard announcers reference similar thoughts (not they are usually bastions of knowledge).

Yeah I'm not even 100% sure announcers even watch the games anymore. I swear there were at least 3 separate times last night where the announcers incorrectly noted that a foul was called when it was something completely different that the refs had called.

Same here. Back when I played in HS, it was 5 secs to be touched in-bounds. Maybe it's a difference between HS and NCAA or maybe they changed the rule at some point since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom