5 sec. call | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

5 sec. call

Watching live, I thought it was called after 4 seconds. Watching the replay in the video above, it looks like even less. Shocking

Same here. Back when I played in HS, it was 5 secs to be touched in-bounds. Maybe it's a difference between HS and NCAA or maybe they changed the rule at some point since then.
Changed it just a few years ago.

Hmmm. Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the impression is was when a player received it. I've even heard announcers reference similar thoughts (not they are usually bastions of knowledge).

I remember it was when they received it when I was in high school. Got caught on a bomb pass that today would have counted but since it didn't get there within the 5 seconds it was a violation. But that was in the 80s.

It sure looked like CJ was saying TO before the 5 sec. Was not too impressed by the officiating at all.
Gotta call the TO by the 4-second count.

I didn't see CJ call it until about 4.3, right when the whistle blew. If he said before that, i couldn't tell. Very quick count!

Same here. Back when I played in HS, it was 5 secs to be touched in-bounds. Maybe it's a difference between HS and NCAA or maybe they changed the rule at some point since then.

Wow, I never knew that. Seems like a dumb rule to have it that way.

Wow, I never knew that. Seems like a dumb rule to have it that way.
Yep, especially when almost every player is just going to spend that 5th second trying to call a timeout anyways. Might as well make it a 4-second rule.

What's really telling is that when the ref blows the whistle, all of the players FROM BOTH TEAMS start leaving the court matter-of-factly, assuming the TO was called. With the exception of the ref, not one person on the court, including both announcers, was looking for a 5 sec. call.

IMO it was an "anticipation call".

I just finished watching the replay of the game and the ref clearly does a 3 count with his arm and blows the whistle ... aweful call luckily it didn't cost us

Too much contact allowed for the second straight game. Tons of contact on Rakeem's misses (and certainly on the one-handed dunk in the second half). Same deal on many of our guards' shots around the hoop.

Its going to be a rough couple of seasons for officiating. Going away preasant this year and welcoming party next.

Another ugly, half-court ruby scrum with banging and bodies all over the floor ... but somehow the Friars got whistled only 3 times in the second half before fouling intentionally with 1.5 minutes left.

Classic home job ... with one official suddenly becoming deaf and blind while CJ's calling Time right next to him.

Whatever ...

W.

ok.. a couple things.. there is no rule that says no TO after 4 secs. thats more a convention than a rule. Also when the ref is waving his arm thats just temp not an actual count. he could also wave his arm and start at two if he wants..

the reality is that the refs in those closely guarded situations should be bouncing the ball to the player to make it easier to start the count on time.. refs are lazy..

Its going to be a rough couple of seasons for officiating. Going away preasant this year and welcoming party next.
Officials are not conference-affiliated, so there is no conspiracy here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom