50 points a game | Syracusefan.com

50 points a game

SWC75

Bored Historian
Now that we’ve recruited a 50 point per game high school scorer, I thought I’d review the history of such players at the college and pro levels. Here is a 2015 article listing the top ten high school scoring averages:
Top 10 single-season high school basketball scoring averages, including Bjorn Broman's 7th-place finish - MaxPreps

Bobby Joe Douglas went to Louisiana-Monroe, (it was Northeast Louisiana at the time), and averaged 7.5 points a game over a four year career:
Bobby Joe Douglas College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
He never played in the NBA.

Ervin Stepp went to Eastern Kentucky for three years and averaged 4.6 ppg:
Ervin Stepp College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Johnny Benjamin played for Auburn for one year and scored 6.5 ppg:
Johnny Benjamin College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
He didn’t play in the NBA.

Benny Fuller never played in college or in the pros. Was his deafness a factor?

Neither did Kent Hyde.

The others on the list didn’t average 50 but let’s look at them anyway:

Steve Farquhar played two years for Liberty, averaging 3.2ppg:
Steve Farquhar College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Bjorn Broman will be a senior at Winthrop this year. He actually reached double figures with 10.2ppg last year. He’s at 7.1 for his career so far:
Bjorn Broman College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Tom McMillen played three years for Lefty Driesell at Maryland, averaging 20.5ppg:
Tom McMillen College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
He also played 11 years in the NBA, averaging 8.1ppg:
Tom McMillen Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Ochiel Swaby played one year a U of Miami, averaging 3.7ppg, then transferred to Central Florida, where he starred, averaging 18.3 and 19.0ppg:
Ochiel Swaby College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Steve Blehm never played in college or the NBA.

The point is not that Joe Girard III is likely to be a flop. It’s just that 50 points a game in high school doesn’t guarantee college success.

Now that we’ve recruited a 50 point per game high school scorer, I thought I’d review the history of such players at the college and pro levels. Here is a 2015 article listing the top ten high school scoring averages:
Top 10 single-season high school basketball scoring averages, including Bjorn Broman's 7th-place finish - MaxPreps

Bobby Joe Douglas went to Louisiana-Monroe, (it was Northeast Louisiana at the time), and averaged 7.5 points a game over a four year career:
Bobby Joe Douglas College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Ervin Stepp went to Eastern Kentucky for three years and averaged 4.6 ppg:
Ervin Stepp College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Johnny Benjamin played for Auburn for one year and scored 6.5 ppg:
Johnny Benjamin College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
He didn’t play in the NBA.

Benny Fuller never played in college or in the pros. Was his deafness a factor?

Neither did Kent Hyde.

The others on the list didn’t average 50 but let’s look at them anyway:

Steve Farquhar played two years for Liberty, averaging 3.2ppg:
Steve Farquhar College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Bjorn Broman will be a senior at Winthrop this year. He actually reached double figures with 10.2ppg last year. He’s at 7.1 for his career so far:
Bjorn Broman College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Tom McMillen played three years for Lefty Driesell at Maryland, averaging 20.5ppg:
Tom McMillen College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
He also played 11 years in the NBA, averaging 8.1ppg:
Tom McMillen Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Ochiel Swaby played one year a U of Miami, averaging 3.7ppg, then transferred to Central Florida, where he starred, averaging 18.3 and 19.0ppg:
Ochiel Swaby College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Steve Blehm never played in college or the NBA.

The point is not that Joe Girard III is likely to be a flop. It’s just that 50 points a game in high school doesn’t guarantee college success.
How many of those 50ppg shooters were recruited by the likes of Duke, Syracuse, Michigan, and Notre Dame? I think that might be one way to filter the results...

You also need to look at what level of HS ball those guys played at. If you are really pretty good playing c/d level ball going for 30-50 is pretty easy since you take all the shots. once you get to Higher level ball teams will have athletes to guard you regardless of how good they are at playing the real game..

Scoring is about shooting, you need volume,

if he comes here and takes 3-6 3's a game and avgs 7+ given a decent chunk of minutes then he will have been a success.

A good comparison might be Hal Cohen. Went to Canton High School. Played against somewhat weak competition and averaged 35 points a game (if my memory serves me). Was the third guard on a team that won 100 games over his 4 years here. Good outside shooter who averaged about 6 points a game over his SU career, but that was before the 3 point shot so figure closer to 10 points a game today.

What did JG3 average in EYBL play?

Tough comparison. Most of those mentioned played in a different era when high school games were much more regionalized and AAU was not a factor. Kids play against way better competition nowadays, travel much more to play, and don't just play against their localized peer group. More opportunities, better prepared. Obviously won't average 50, but I also don't think he will completely over his head in college, like some of these players from the 70s & 80s may have been at the next level... Great research, as always SWC

Hopefully he’ll be Gerry, on teams with more consistent healthy supporting talent than Gerry was afforded after ‘03/‘04

I agree that most of the guys on the list played for small schools, (not sure how big Glens Falls is by comparison), and didn't have the challenge of playing against top prospects in AAU ball. I'm not sure who recruited them but we can see where they wound up. I suspect Girard is a better player but I'm not sure that he'll be a star on this level. He could be GMAC or he could be Hal Cohen. But his high school scoring average isn't going to be that meaningful.

Reactions: MGP
I think he ends up being Henry Steele, but hopefully in a good way. Ending up with annette otoole in college wouldnt have been a bad thing though.

I agree that most of the guys on the list played for small schools, (not sure how big Glens Falls is by comparison), and didn't have the challenge of playing against top prospects in AAU ball. I'm not sure who recruited them but we can see where they wound up. I suspect Girard is a better player but I'm not sure that he'll be a star on this level. He could be GMAC or he could be Hal Cohen. But his high school scoring average isn't going to be that meaningful.

Marty Headd 2.0

What did JG3 average in EYBL play?

Replying to myself since I did find the stats.

In 2018 EYBL, Peach Jam, and Bracket Play, he had the following numbers:
11 ppg, shooting 36.8% from the field and 34.9% from 3pt range (making 52 3 pointers in 22 games)
Free Throw shooting was stellar, making 40 of 41 attempts.
His high was scoring 25 points in a game.

Other numbers:
1.7 apg, 1.4 assist to turnover ratio, 0.6 steals per game, 2.1 rpg

I didn't find his minutes per game numbers. The numbers shown are for 22 games against very good national competition. I would say the conclusion is that he projects to be solid but not spectacular (at least as a freshman). He has a good base to develop from and certainly good reason to expect he will be a quality contributor especially as he gets more time in the program. Probably not likely that he is going to have GMac type impact unless he is forced into that by having to carry the team as a Jr/Sr (this looks unlikely based on how rosters are developing).

I returned a punt for 98 yards last night on Madden.

I couldn't find Jimmer Fredette's HS average. 2400 points but how many games?

Marty Headd 2.0

Marty Headd from small local school CBA, averaged 11 points a game shooting 53.8% over his career at SU . This was before you got 3 points for long perimeter shots - his bread and butter. I'd love that career for Girard here too. Hal Cohen was NY's leading high school scorer from Canton, NY when he came here and had a good career at SU.. Not as prolific as Marty Headd but a valuable player while here.

Replying to myself since I did find the stats.

In 2018 EYBL, Peach Jam, and Bracket Play, he had the following numbers:
11 ppg, shooting 36.8% from the field and 34.9% from 3pt range (making 52 3 pointers in 22 games)
Free Throw shooting was stellar, making 40 of 41 attempts.
His high was scoring 25 points in a game.

Other numbers:
1.7 apg, 1.4 assist to turnover ratio, 0.6 steals per game, 2.1 rpg

I didn't find his minutes per game numbers. The numbers shown are for 22 games against very good national competition. I would say the conclusion is that he projects to be solid but not spectacular (at least as a freshman). He has a good base to develop from and certainly good reason to expect he will be a quality contributor especially as he gets more time in the program. Probably not likely that he is going to have GMac type impact unless he is forced into that by having to carry the team as a Jr/Sr (this looks unlikely based on how rosters are developing).
I think solid will be the word used for his entire career here. He won't be the Alpha and if people are expecting that they are going to be disappointed. He is going to be a solid contributor and have a solid career.

Marty Headd from small local school CBA, averaged 11 points a game shooting 53.8% over his career at SU . This was before you got 3 points for long perimeter shots - his bread and butter. I'd love that career for Girard here too. Hal Cohen was NY's leading high school scorer from Canton, NY when he came here and had a good career at SU.. Not as prolific as Marty Headd but a valuable player while here.
Ah memories. Was a student then watching the two of them playing alongside Louie and Bowie at Manley(was at every game including Georgetown fiasco). My 3 friends and I religiously would drink a large bottle of sambuca in a sky top apt in a half an hour right before the game. Fun! Not sure what year they reduced Cuse players on court from 10 to 5 but it was 10 when I watched

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom