5th Year transfer/ JUCO point guard? | Syracusefan.com

5th Year transfer/ JUCO point guard?

OrangeBlood

Starter
With Ennis leaving, that leaves Joesph as only true ball handler and PG on the team. We all saw how having only one ball handler hindered the offense this year. It's no guarantee that Joesph is even close to as good as Ennis, if he struggles we are in trouble at guard.

Why not get some insurance and take an expirenced kid who can handle. Not a super star or anything just a depth guy.

Thoughts?

OrangeBlood said:
With Ennis leaving, that leaves Joesph as only true ball handler and PG on the team. We all saw how having only one ball handler hindered the offense this year. It's no guarantee that Joesph is even close to as good as Ennis, if he struggles we are in trouble at guard. Why not get some insurance and take an expirenced kid who can handle. Not a super star or anything just a depth guy. Thoughts?

They tried to bring in someone last year. They failed. I don't have high hopes. It would have to be a juco or fifth year senior.

With Ennis leaving, that leaves Joesph as only true ball handler and PG on the team. We all saw how having only one ball handler hindered the offense this year. It's no guarantee that Joesph is even close to as good as Ennis, if he struggles we are in trouble at guard.

Why not get some insurance and take an expirenced kid who can handle. Not a super star or anything just a depth guy.

Thoughts?

did having 1 ball handler hinder our offense?

its not like we had to issues. we couldnt score. that has little to do with the amount of ball handlers.

They tried to bring in someone last year. They failed. I don't have high hopes. It would have to be a juco or fifth year senior.

If you're talking about G, I'm failing to see how he failed. He had to mold to 3 positions in order to keep our exhausted starting lineup alive.

Unless Boeheim plans on playing that ball handler with Kaleb, it doesnt matter. Our issue wasnt a second ball handler to back up Ennis, it was a second ball handler to play with Ennis.
But when was that actually an issue in a game? The only time that comes to mind for me is the 2nd Duke game.

Thoughts?
Agree with this 100%. Need another handle.
But Kaleb will shine next year either way. Still. He needs a depth guy to compliment him.

But when was that actually an issue in a game? The only time that comes to mind for me is the 2nd Duke game.
We had one guy who could dribble drive, Ennis. Its tough when your 2g's are shooters who cant shot...and cant dribble drive, although G shows signs.

Our outside shooting was bigger culprit though, nowhere to drive to when noone on the team can shoot outside of 10 feet.

If you're talking about G, I'm failing to see how he failed. He had to mold to 3 positions in order to keep our exhausted starting lineup alive.
I think he meant the staff tried to recruit another guy but couldn't get it done.

Thoughts?
The main thing that hindered our offense was having nobody who could regularly put the ball in the basket.

Directly related to having only one player who could get there with just his dribble.
yup.. Couldnt agree more.. not very hard to guard an offense with such one dimensional players on offense which was the EPITOME of this offense.. Cooney-Couldnt create for the dead.. Fair-Didnt pass the whole year... Grant-No Jumpshot, not a creater, just Driver... Just not a big variety in the offense this year

Our offense was going to be better next year with our without Ennis. Honestly, in five years he will be remembered as much as Donte Greene probably.
Nah, the shot against Pitt makes certain that he'll be remembered.

Directly related to having only one player who could get there with just his dribble.
Look at the games we lost and you'll see Many shots within 3-8 feet that didn't go down. And I'm talking about quality shots.

That's not what I took from "ball handler" in the 1st post.

Antonio Barton?

I cannot for the life of me believe that he made the right choice. Think about what he must have been thinking in Feb. We were 1 and the talk of the country. They were a sub par sec team.

Now?

I just threw up

That's not what I took from "ball handler" in the 1st post.

I was adding on simply saying that problem also was the reason we struggled to score. Having only one guy who can legitimately handle it and take it to the rim and finish means you rely too much on that one guy along with a lot of jumpers. When CJ was hot that worked well and same for when grant had a bigtime mismatch in his favor.

did having 1 ball handler hinder our offense?

its not like we had to issues. we couldnt score. that has little to do with the amount of ball handlers.

Tougher to run an effective motion or dribble drive offense without multiple players who can handle the ball. Also makes teams more vulnerable to the press and less able to convert transition baskets when only one player has a good handle.

I expect us to bring in a grad transfer. I definitely can't see us taking a mid major level pg that will hold up a scholarship for 4 years. Not sure what kind of level of JC player we can get at this point. Grad transfers are the way to go.

I was adding on simply saying that problem also was the reason we struggled to score. Having only one guy who can legitimately handle it and take it to the rim and finish means you rely too much on that one guy along with a lot of jumpers. When CJ was hot that worked well and same for when grant had a bigtime mismatch in his favor.

oh, i think you've been spot on with your analysis in both posts.

oh, i think you've been spot on with your analysis in both posts.

We can talk till we are blue but sitting here watching dayton- stanford... I freaking hate not having cuse playing right now. Makes college hoops suck...