88% | Syracusefan.com

88%

B

Brooky03

If Cooney is an 85%+ FT shooter, what's the argument against him driving a lot more and creating contact with big men?

In my opinion, this is what our offense lacks, a second guard who can drive. Gbinije is too far behind the 8 ball to make a big difference most likely, but Cooney has shown that he can dribble and he has a strong enough build to take the punishment. Triche would annoy me pretty often but at least he was another threat to drive from the perimeter. Fair and Grant drive to the rim pretty well, but it's one thing to get there from 12 feet away vs. getting there from 18 feet away. With the way guys close out on him, he should be able to beat most perimeter defenders and he doesn't even have to be a great finisher, he just has to get into some bodies so he can get to the line. Sure, it will result in some turnovers and some blocked shots (probably some charges too); however, the benefit to our offense would outweigh the negatives as I see it.

I'd like to see it.

He's not finishing particularly well, but the same could be said about everyone on this team.

Really would like to see him go around his defender on his quick turn arounds when he catches the ball behind the 3pt line. His defenders are always eager to jump into him to make sure he doesn't shoot, so he just passes it back to Tyler. He's quick and big enough to make a move to the middle of the floor, and he's shown this year he has the handles.

If Cooney is an 85%+ FT shooter, what's the argument against him driving a lot more and creating contact with big men?

In my opinion, this is what our offense lacks, a second guard who can drive. Gbinije is too far behind the 8 ball to make a big difference most likely, but Cooney has shown that he can dribble and he has a strong enough build to take the punishment. Triche would annoy me pretty often but at least he was another threat to drive from the perimeter. Fair and Grant drive to the rim pretty well, but it's one thing to get there from 12 feet away vs. getting there from 18 feet away. With the way guys close out on him, he should be able to beat most perimeter defenders and he doesn't even have to be a great finisher, he just has to get into some bodies so he can get to the line. Sure, it will result in some turnovers and some blocked shots (probably some charges too); however, the benefit to our offense would outweigh the negatives as I see it.
I have been saying he needs to drive, and shoot the jump shot, when Devo missed a couple 3's early he drove , and made the 15-17 foot jump shot. Shooters need to see the ball go in, and the shot in the lane is easier. He made that jump shot late, needs to do more of that.

It will be interesting to see what new dimensions Cooney adds to his game this offseason. He's having a good [albeit inconsistent] season for a sophomore getting his first steady dose of playing time. He'll be even better next year, IMO.

I like his defense so far and hes only a sophmore. I really look forward to seeing him and Gbinje on D up top 2 years from now if they have that rautins senior work ethic. :)

I agree completely. Might as well stick someone in Trevor's face all game. He'll never make you pay.

We don't get fouls called on our drives to the basket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom