A few thingies | Syracusefan.com

A few thingies

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
Did we hire Penn and Teller as consultants during the off-season? Shrader's sleight of hand on the two naked bootlegs was the finest I've ever seen.

I hope Boiler fans respected the classiness of Shrader going down at the end when he could have scored. Not only was it great sportsmanship, it was smart. Sort of like a great point guard pulling the ball back out and killing clock at the end instead of scoring a meaningless basket. With fans of both schools taking out their ire re: the officiating on the other school, I hope that gesture didn't go unnoticed. Not every QB would have done that.

Speaking of which, how 'bout those officials?! What an outstanding example of guys who should be unemployed. Over 230 total penalty yards, some insane calls/no calls, and head-scratching decisions. The failure to call the PI in the endzone was absurd given some of the other calls they made, and to be fair, they screwed the Boilers a few times too. As usual, we made our own share of undisciplined mistakes, but I am running out of hope that our dumb penalties will go away.

A quiet 80 yards by Allen. We have to get more multi-dimensional in the running game or opposing DC's will have an easy decision to make; "penalties be damned, we are going to hit Shrader as hard as we can, and with as many guys as we can, until we make him go away." He may be a QB that is the size of Larry Csonka, and he may take fewer chances that Dungey, but he isn't physically indestructible either. We did let Shrader take what they gave him on the ground, but we can't expect to do that every game.

Not the WR's finest night. We knew we would miss OG, and we did, but those guys CAN make those catches. They will have to. Some of the passes were uncatchable but we have to clean it up.

How bout the D? We gave up 400 yards but fewer points than 400 yards should have resulted in. Love the swagger too.

Solid road win and the rest of the ACC is not looking as formidable as they were a few weeks ago.

Did we hire Penn and Teller as consultants during the off-season? Shrader's sleight of hand on the two naked bootlegs was the finest I've ever seen.

I hope Boiler fans respected the classiness of Shrader going down at the end when he could have scored. Not only was it great sportsmanship, it was smart. Sort of like a great point guard pulling the ball back out and killing clock at the end instead of scoring a meaningless basket. With fans of both schools taking out their ire re: the officiating on the other school, I hope that gesture didn't go unnoticed. Not every QB would have done that.

Speaking of which, how 'bout those officials?! What an outstanding example of guys who should be unemployed. Over 230 total penalty yards, some insane calls/no calls, and head-scratching decisions. The failure to call the PI in the endzone was absurd given some of the other calls they made, and to be fair, they screwed the Boilers a few times too. As usual, we made our own share of undisciplined mistakes, but I am running out of hope that our dumb penalties will go away.

A quiet 80 yards by Allen. We have to get more multi-dimensional in the running game or opposing DC's will have an easy decision to make; "penalties be damned, we are going to hit Shrader as hard as we can, and with as many guys as we can, until we make him go away." He may be a QB that is the size of Larry Csonka, and he may take fewer chances that Dungey, but he isn't physically indestructible either. We did let Shrader take what they gave him on the ground, but we can't expect to do that every game.

Not the WR's finest night. We knew we would miss OG, and we did, but those guys CAN make those catches. They will have to. Some of the passes were uncatchable but we have to clean it up.

How bout the D? We gave up 400 yards but fewer points than 400 yards should have resulted in. Love the swagger too.

Solid road win and the rest of the ACC is not looking as formidable as they were a few weeks ago.
Played a lot of zone with a two score lead. Gave up yards but nothing over the top.

Solid road win and the rest of the ACC is not looking as formidable as they were a few week
Those Shrader fakes reminded me of some McNabb did back in the day. The reverse we ran against Rutgers his senior year was perfection. He held the ball on his hip while staring at McIntosh and he held that position as Johnson came around and imperceptibly took the hand off from him.

Those Shrader fakes reminded me of some McNabb did back in the day. The reverse we ran against Rutgers his senior year was perfection. He held the ball on his hip while staring at McIntosh and he held that position as Johnson came around and imperceptibly took the hand off from him.

Yes. Statue of Liberty. Reminded me of that play.

His bootlegs were so entertaining to watch. I knew he had the ball the whole time on both but it was hilarious to see how hard the D bit. He did a fantastic job there.

I think Dino or Beck recently said this was Clemson's strategy last year. Crash on the RB, force Shrader to keep it so they could then hit him over and over.

I give the WRs credit for their blocking downfield on a rough first night without their leader. They need to put it behind them and get their swagger back this weekend.

I was watching the ACC huddle this am, will put my notes here. Have to say, they did a piss poor job of our highlights. Showed Gareth's fourth TD twice, instead of the first TD which is a great highlight, didnt bother to get the name for DB's catch, (they knew who May was throwing to for North Carolina). Highlights are not a tough job, not impressed, but at least easier to find a summary of the game there than the national show.

Also, sounded like FSU got bailed out with a call. Anyone see if it was a legit call?
Coach did give our defense a shout out.

MasterofIllusion_cover.jpg

His bootlegs were so entertaining to watch. I knew he had the ball the whole time on both but it was hilarious to see how hard the D bit. He did a fantastic job there.
Next time, throw it deep

If you get a chance to watch the replay, look at the band on the first bootleg. Even they thought Allen had even as Shrader walked into the endzone. You just don't see bootlegs like that anymore. Loved it.

If you get a chance to watch the replay, look at the band on the first bootleg. Even they thought Allen had even as Shrader walked into the endzone. You just don't see bootlegs like that anymore. Loved it.
It's a lost art.

Yeah you never see that anymore.

I was watching the ACC huddle this am, will put my notes here. Have to say, they did a piss poor job of our highlights. Showed Gareth's fourth TD twice, instead of the first TD which is a great highlight, didnt bother to get the name for DB's catch, (they knew who May was throwing to for North Carolina). Highlights are not a tough job, not impressed, but at least easier to find a summary of the game there than the national show.

Also, sounded like FSU got bailed out with a call. Anyone see if it was a legit call?
EJ Manuel was very complimentary of us, they were talking about who could be considered the 2nd best team in the conference behind FSU(yesterday didn’t help their case for automatic number one but I digress) and EJ said we need to be in that mix after how we played last night and because Shrader is such a weapon

On a Sunday morning Loves me some (legendary) DickinMich posts!

We gonna see you this year?

That first bootleg was second only to Barton Hall, May 1977

I always felt that Alex Van Pelt at Pitt was the best I had ever seen at those ball on the hip fakes. Shrader was great at them last night. Good for him. Good for Beck for developing that wrinkle.

It was a face mask

On a Sunday morning Loves me some (legendary) DickinMich posts!

We gonna see you this year?
Unlikely. My 50th SU reunion is this Fall but I won't be coming back for it. If I'm back home this Fall, it will likely be an in and out trip during the week. More likely will be a trip back for a basketball game but we'll see.

On the other hand, I don't want to miss my last chance to see the Shrader Show so who knows.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.

Unlikely. My 50th SU reunion is this Fall but I won't be coming back for it. If I'm back home this Fall, it will likely be an in and out trip during the week. More likely will be a trip back for a basketball game but we'll see.

On the other hand, I don't want to miss my last chance to see the Shrader Show so who knows.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.
Would love to finally meet you. I enjoy reading your posts

Really good post Dick, per usual. Kudos for the Penn and Teller reference.

ACC defenses will do exactly what you note regarding defending and hitting Shrader, especially now that they don't have to account for/bracket OG. LQA will become even more important (rushing AND receiving) as we enter ACC play. We will also need to hit the deep ball more consistently to make Ds pay for scheming to stop Shrader from running. Ds will try to defend our WRs without help over the top.

Some of that yardage was prevent defense

Really good post Dick, per usual. Kudos for the Penn and Teller reference.

ACC defenses will do exactly what you note regarding defending and hitting Shrader, especially now that they don't have to account for/bracket OG. LQA will become even more important (rushing AND receiving) as we enter ACC play. We will also need to hit the deep ball more consistently to make Ds pay for scheming to stop Shrader from running. Ds will try to defend our WRs without help over the top.
That's why I would like to see if Perry can catch the ball. He would terrify Linebackers, and defensive backs.
You couldn't defend him with one man, too big and fast.

I always felt that Alex Van Pelt at Pitt was the best I had ever seen at those ball on the hip fakes.
lucy van pelt also could show you ball and then tuck it away fooling everyone. you even knew it was coming.

Some of that yardage was prevent defense
Very aware of that. My point was that our D allowed them to move but not score.

In addition, they also moved the ball but then our D forced turnovers. Either way, lots of activity without productivity on the part of the Boilers.

Purdue played like they were being paid to throw the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom