A look at the 2019-20 roster scenarios | Syracusefan.com

A look at the 2019-20 roster scenarios

billsin01

All American
I realize this is purely speculative and thus, perhaps, somewhat pointless but figured I'd take a look at next year's roster and lay out some potential scenarios for the guys we expect to see (assuming something crazy doesn't happen ... which is probably the worst assumption I'll make in this entire post) in Orange next season.

I'll start by saying what has already been said on this board, which is that this roster is one of the stranger groups of players I can remember in that there is a combination of a bunch of veterans and a bunch of young guys and we don't really know what to expect of anyone outside of maybe Elijah Hughes and to an extent Buddy -- both good shooters, whose calling card is likely to be primarily as shooters for as long as they are here. That said, I would guess there is some debate about that as well as some debate about how they fit in next year as well.

Probably the closest we've seen to something with as many question marks was in 2017-18 but that really had more to do with a lack of depth than anything b/c we only really had Chuckwu/Battle/Howard who had even really played and Battle was the only one who had shown anything. This roster has two double-figure scorers returning (if we assume Brissett returns) as well as a third (Buddy) who averaged pretty close to double-figures (9.5 ppg) in the 15 games prior to the NCAA tourney and a total of 82 starts last season among Hughes (34), Brissett (34), Buddy (5), Dolezaj (6), Carey (2) and Sidibe (1). But I'm not sure we actually know too much more about how this all plays out.

So anyway, I'm going to make a couple assumptions and I'm fine if people want to disagree with them b/c I don't have any inside knowledge. I'm going to assume Brissett is back and that JBA/Edwards don't see a whole lot of time. Also, because there is a non-zero chance that Sidibe returns close to healthy (and because I'm rooting for that to happen), I"m going to make the include his upside is a possibility. I admit I'm a bit skeptical of those prospects, but it would be awesome.

So anyway, here goes:

Brissett
What I think we know:
'Disappointing' is probably the word even Oshae might use to describe last season but I thought he played better as the year went on and the kid has a really good combo of size and athleticism, with some legit basketball skill.The best forwards in this system tend to be guys who are athletic enough to cover space on defense, big enough and physical enough to rebound in traffic and versatile enough offensively to score in a variety of ways. Brissett checks all these boxes ... he just hasn't scored in as consistent a fashion as possible.

What I'd like to see: I don't really mind Brissett shooting from outside -- something he cut way back on after 17 or 18 games this season -- but I think he needs to work inside-out with his offense. Get a few touches with his back to the basket first then expand out. Biggest keys to a big junior season for him, in my mind, would be to get out of the habit of either leaning around guys or into guys in the paint (go up strong off two feet) and focus on being one of the best rebounders in the conference (he's a guy who can get 9/game).

Projection: There is a chance he goes pro, I suppose, and a scenario exists where he comes back but oddly ends up in a slightly reduced role (Sidibe and Dolejaz handle the 5, Guerrier bursts onto the scene and Hughes is holding down the 3). But, realistically, I think we see OB come back and be closer to the player we thought we were going to see this year. It may seem odd, but the kid has scored close to 1,000 points, which puts him 64th all time on the SU scoring list (15/game would put him in the top 25) and grabbed 581 rebounds (8/game would put him in the top 15). Not sure he's a guy who threatens 20 ppg but wouldn't be shocked to see a 16-17 ppg, 9 rpg type season from him. If I had to bet money I'd say he's a better player than we saw this year and that would be on display next season in pretty big minutes (35 mpg).

Lingering questions: Offensive efficiency.

Dolezaj
What we think we know:
Dolezaj is potentially a solid shooter, he's a good passer and he is going to make a boatload of hustle plays. Good BBIQ, generally speaking though he's prone to some dumb fouls which would be a bigger issue this year particularly if Sidibe isn't healthy again. We also know he has some offensive limitations and probably will never be big enough to truly bang with the more physical teams we play. Defense was noticeably less effective with him in the middle but he should help us cover the corner three a bit better than Chukwu, who had a tough time getting out there without ending up in the fourth row.

What I'd like to see: A few extra lbs, more production as a shooter and an offense that actually features some movement where not only his passing becomes a bigger weapon, but his ability to finish a play offensively (jump shot/in the paint/at the rim) can be more of a weapon. The idea that he showed off a better jumper but actually saw him numbers decline this season is really disappointing. I really think he's a kid who could be in the 8-10 ppg range and add 3 assists/game as well.

Projection: He's going to play a lot. Not only is he our only proven, truly healthy big man at the moment, he has a good feel for the game and JB loves that. I have to feel he's going to add some weight (not enough, but some) and his offensive production will be improved (it would be hard for it to regress). He should be a good weapon against zones and a really key player if we get more player and ball movement (as JB indicated he believes will happen), but he'll also continue to struggle against true low-post bigs. Either way, he's in line for 30+ minutes.

Lingering questions: Can we take advantage of what he has to offer while limiting how much he's exposed defensively and on the glass on the interior? Not sure this matters a ton b/c I'm not sure we really have any options, but the summer trip and pre-conference slate are going to be really important for him.

Elijah Hughes
What we think we know:
Hughes can shoot and that's clearly a valuable skill in today's game. That said he shoots close to 70% of his shots from three and he doesn't -- or didn't -- add a whole lot else to the overall effort. A few more blocks than you'd expect from a kid of his size, but a negative assist/TO ratio, limited rebounding, doesn't get to the line, doesn't create his own shots, didn't shoot much coming off screens. His scoring dipped in conference play but that's to be expected somewhat. Kid is a good shooter and a decent defender and can make a few plays if he gets into a transition setting.

What I'd like to see: Needs to add variety to his game. Not sure he's ever going to be a big factor rebounding, but a little better handle would help as would more work off the ball if, again, we can get some more ball movement going. Would like to see us get him curling off screens where he can either pull up and get some space for a mid-range J or use his decent athleticism and frame to get to the rim or draw contact and get to the line.

Projection: I see Hughes losing some PT. I just don't really see a way he plays 33 minutes when we lose size and strength at the 5 (with Chukwu moving on) and we're adding a kid who could provide a bit more variety offensively and more prototypical size in Guerrier. It's also a crowded backcourt next year so I'm not sure the 2 works out (particularly with a weaker handle and perhaps not ideal footspeed defensively in that spot). I think we see him 20-25 minutes in a slightly deeper rotation and a bunch of minutes going to Guerrier (more like 20 if Guerrier plays well, 25 or 27 if it takes Guerrier time to get up to speed).

Lingering questions: Can he play the 2 at all? Can he improve his versatility offensively? And, as with everyone, does he look a bit better if we have an offense that functions better?

Buddy
What we think we know:
Buddy is a hot take magnet on this board with a contingent that thinks he's going to be better than Andy Rautins and a group of folks who swore he was only playing b/c his dad was the coach. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Kid can shoot, we know that. He works hard -- we saw him improve defensively the more he played and he played his way through a miserable start to the year shooting the ball. He's not afraid to take the ball inside the three-point line. How good he actually is at that remains to be seen, but he was able to convert at times there, which is a good sign.

What I'd like to see: I'd love to see Buddy improve as a passer -- he had four assists against Pitt in the conference tournament (he also scored 20 in that one -- his best game, imo) and three more in a tough game against Baylor. That was two of the three times he actually recorded more than two assists in a game. But ultimately I think his work in the S&C department and his defensive improvement might be the biggest keys. Can he become a solid defender? Can he do a better job preventing penetration? Can he get a step quicker offensively to help him create more space? Can he consistently shoot coming off screens? Can he move well enough without the ball to consistently get him open looks? Physical man-to-man teams are going to give him issues unless he's able to create space without the ball in his hands. My feeling is that is a combination of experience and work with S&C (as well as teammates who move the ball and set good screens, etc.).

Projection: I see Buddy starting and playing a bunch of minutes. 25+ a game if I had to guess. What I'm not sure of is what kind of versatility he displays and how well he moves -- both without the ball on offense and as part of a defense, particularly when we end up in scramble mode against a team that moves the ball well. But I struggle to see a scenario where he's playing 10-12 mpg when you consider JB has always loved guys he can trust and, well, Buddy is his kid and is, by all accounts, a hard worker.

Lingering questions? S&C, offensive versatility, passing.

Sidibe
What we think we know:
I'm going to keep his write-up brief (rare for me). When healthy, he's a really good post prospect. Think people are sleeping on what a healthy Sidibe could look like. When he's not, he's really not an effective player (understandably).

What I'd like to see: A healthy Sidibe.

Projection: 'Tendinitis', 'knees' and 'big man' are not three words you want to see in the same sentence. If I'm being honest with the projection, I would have to say we see something like we've seen the past couple seasons -- some flashes but a lot of games where we're happy if we're getting a couple minutes. I hope I'm wrong.

Lingering questions: Health.

Jalen Carey
What we think we know:
Carey has the quickness to beat people off the dribble and the creativity to dish the ball to an open teammate. He can also finish at the rim and in the limited time he got, there was a noticeable difference in tempo (when he was playing well) vs. what Frank and Tyus did as the PG. Had a terrible shooting performance and backed it up by not shooting well from the line.

What I'd like to see: Clearly needs to improve his shot but a more confident handle and a commitment to pushing the tempo when he's on the floor would be a really good thing for this team. He also could add some much-needed quickness atop the zone and he's pretty long -- so he feels like he could make some plays defensively too. Was happy to hear JB talk about a good attitude b/c it certainly didn't look that way when we saw him on the bench. Maybe it's just lip service.

Projection: I see Carey as the type of player who plays better with more minutes. The GA Tech/Duke back-to-back stretch feels like the point where the season when off the rail for Carey, but he made things happen against UConn and Oregon and he had some nice moments in extended minutes (played well against G'town with 4 boards and 3 assists; had a couple buckets, 5 boards, 3 assists, a steal and block vs. Northeastern, played well vs. pitt and wasn't terrible vs. duke in the ACC tourney. There's something there. I think Carey is the odds-on favorite to start at the point and play big minutes. If he falters, there are plenty of sharks waiting to steal minutes but even if he's a poor outside shooter, I think he's playing 20+ minutes a game on this team.

Lingering questions: Is he actually happy here? Does he actually like JB? Can he shoot at all? Can he tighten up the handle?

Howard Washington
What we think we know:
Not a whole lot actually. Not a highly recruited kid but looked solid in the little time he got as a frosh. Coming off a knee injury but should be healthy all summer. He's an actual point guard, which makes him interesting, however.

What I'd like to see: Not sure we've seen enough to really critique his game but a healthy washington pushing Carey and whomever else at the point would be interesting.

Projection: Who knows, but the one thing I'll say is that I think he's an afterthought on this board and I'm not sure that's fair. When we last saw him, he moved the ball well and knocked down open shots. That alone is enough to make him intriguing. If we're trying to really put some sort of prediction here, I'd say he doesn't start but could see his role grow as the season progresses if Carey struggles and JGIII isn't a PG.

Robert Braswell
What we think we know:
Bras only played in 12 games and only was on the floor for 50ish minutes. He's still in a spot where he has a pretty significant hurdle or two to climb to get PT if Brissett returns and Guerrier is a really good frosh (Hughes/Guerrier/Brissett). But he's long and athletic with a bit of a Southerland vibe to him with the outside shooting. He's raw, which I think hurts with JB in charge, in particular. The interesting thing with him is how well he played when he got an opportunity (unlike a kid like BJ Johnson, for example). His per-40 numbers (which obviously aren't statistically relevant as a predictive tool since he got only 55 minutes total) tell the story of how well he did when he hit the floor. So, just looking at it as sort of a rate number, had he sustained that play for 40, he puts up ~19 ppg, 7 rpg, 4.4 steals, 3.4 assists on 67/50/75 shooting. Obviously, again, these don't mean much other than to illustrate that he played well when he got the chance. That bodes well, IMO.

What I'd like to see: Again, hard to critique his game but it would be really interesting to play well enough early that we could get him some real run in games. You're talking about a kid who signed late and hadn't played a high level of basketball, yet in his rare opportunities, he looked very comfortable on the floor. He also seemed to demonstrate some offensive IQ passing the ball and getting to the line. We've been lacking that IQ in many ways the past few years.

Projection: I could see something along the lines of Southerland's soph year (not to say they are the same player, Bras looks a bit more fluid to me) where he plays in most games and puts up around 8-10 mpg on average, with a bunch coming in games were winning by a lot and then long stretches of pine vs. ACC teams. He's another kid who should jump all over the summer trip and I would say he's a bigger threat to Hughes than maybe most give him credit for if only b/c of his size and potential to be a better rebounder and add some length defensively.

Lingering questions: A lot. We don't know a lot so I guess it's mostly, do his flaws get exposed more clearly if he gets more minutes? Could he be a less-than-ideal but workable to a solution to the issue of JBA/Edwards not being ready, Sid not being healthy and Marek being in foul trouble? A Bras/Guerrier/Brissett front line? He also sees his fortunes altered significantly by Brissett's pro decision.

The frosh: JGIII/Edwards/JBA/Guerrier/Goodine
Going to group these guys together because we really don't know a ton about any of them and this post is long enough already. I would assume the following:

-- Goodine may get a look at the 1 and will find himself on the floor a fair amount, but I have a hard time venturing a guess as to how much b/c I think a lot depends on the guys already on the roster. He seems smooth and composed offensively and like he can score at the rim, which we need at times from our guards.

-- JGIII ... I have no idea. Doesn't look like a PG to me but he's 6-1 so how does he fit at the 2? And does he look different if he spends the entire summer playing a ton of hoops? Plus, when's the last time we had a kid who came in after averaging 50 ppg for two years in a row? I don't get the vibe that he rots away on the bench but I also have no idea where he plays.

-- JBA/Edwards ... if I were guessing they have a tough time getting off the bench.

-- Guerrier ... Think he's a lock to get a bunch of minutes regardless. Really hope he's an advanced scorer b/c at a are minimum that would give us an opportunity to put a lot of length on the floor along the front line while still have 5 kids who can bring something to the table offensively.

Nice write up. I just want to see more ball movement on offense, which will open up shots. I don't mind taking wide-open threes. Most guys on our roster can make 35%-40%+ wide open threes. It's the step-back, shot clock expiring, hand in the face threes that we must reduce the frequency of. Virginia has very good shooters take open threes, and that makes them very good shooters. It works.

Nice write up. I just want to see more ball movement on offense, which will open up shots. I don't mind taking wide-open threes. Most guys on our roster can make 35%-40%+ wide open threes. It's the step-back, shot clock expiring, hand in the face threes that we must reduce the frequency of. Virginia has very good shooters take open threes, and that makes them very good shooters. It works.

I agree 100% with this. I guess what I was attempting to point out, -- albeit in a gajillion-word, rambling, probably at times nonsensical post -- was that I think there's a legit shot for almost this whole roster to be a legitimate part of a rotation in the meat of the ACC sked or, conversely, a chance for any of them to be somewhat marginalized. Howard Washington, for example, may be a key factor, particularly if Jalen Carey really struggles, or he could be relegated to fifth-guard mopup duty. Or Carey -- could be our starting PG or could be really struggling to find minutes if he's struggling and/or the frosh force their way onto the floor. Hughes had a nice year and I like his game but he's not the ideal size for the 3, defensively, and his offensive game is a bit one-note, which makes him sort of an all or nothing guy at times.

Just feels like there is so much variability in who we could see out there and how deep we go.

The Italy trip and dedication to S&C are going to make or break this team.

I'd agree but just generally say offseason work (so that we're including Carey working on the handle, Brissett refining his game, etc.) but I agree that those two are huge factors.

I'd agree but just generally say offseason work (so that we're including Carey working on the handle, Brissett refining his game, etc.) but I agree that those two are huge factors.
Oh no doubt, when I look at our players though things like whatever strength Marek can add/Buddy improving foot speed/Braswell getting stronger and adding weight/Sidibe getting healthy etc. are all going to be a huge deal.

The Italy trip and dedication to S&C are going to make or break this team.

If by Italy trip & S&C dedication you mean Carey's development, then yes. I agree.

He's the key. Need a PG.

Oh no doubt, when I look at our players though things like whatever strength Marek can add/Buddy improving foot speed/Braswell getting stronger and adding weight/Sidibe getting healthy etc. are all going to be a huge deal.
Hasn't been a lot of obvious strength being added in the off-season by any of our guys recently. Read a lot about it, but eye test, not much change to my eye.

Really like the analysis in this write up and agree with much of it. But I must ask again...what do people see in Sidibe that I don’t? The injury seems to be an excuse we will use over his entire career. At his healthiest over the last 2 years I see a guy overmatched in almost every game. He has been a black hole when feeding him down low always. A travel waiting to happen. That has nothing to do with the injury.
I am begging to eat crow on this because I will gladly wear the village idiot hat and be his biggest fan if he shoves these words down my throat.

but just don’t see it.

my take;
I agree except a few quibbles -
I know that Bras is a fav, but he is awkward and would get embarrassed out there. I doubt that he would handle pressure and better than MM did.
From what I've seen of Washington I would take him over Carey at this time. Washington avoided trouble with the ball and he hit some shots. He passed when pressured. When a team plays slow ball, which is our mode of operation, turnovers are a killer and Carey is a turnover machine.
As to Sidibe, he has shown glimpses of good footwork and that is why he could be good.

my take;
I know that Bras is a fav, but he is awkward and would get embarrassed out there. I doubt that he would handle pressure and better than MM did.
From what I've seen of Washington I would take him over Carey at this time. Washington avoided trouble with the ball and he hit some shots. He passed when pressured. When a team plays slow ball, which is our mode of operation, turnovers are a killer and Carey is a turnover machine.
As to Sidibe, he has shown glimpses of good footwork and that is why he could be good.
Bras looked pretty smooth and like he knew what he was doing to me.

Really like the analysis in this write up and agree with much of it. But I must ask again...what do people see in Sidibe that I don’t? The injury seems to be an excuse we will use over his entire career. At his healthiest over the last 2 years I see a guy overmatched in almost every game. He has been a black hole when feeding him down low always. A travel waiting to happen. That has nothing to do with the injury.
I am begging to eat crow on this because I will gladly wear the village idiot hat and be his biggest fan if he shoves these words down my throat.

but just don’t see it.

Well, besides the Pitt game (18, 16, 3 in 28 mins) which was the Magnum Opus of his Frosh year, he also had:
Cornell 7, 6, 2 in 19 mins
Iona 2, 4, 2 in 18 mins
Oak 2, 4, 1 in 7 mins
TxSo 11, 3, 0 in 21 mins
Toledo 4, 7, 1 in 24 mins
MD 8, 4, 2 in 22 mins

His minutes went WAY down after that, due to injury, with the Pitt outlier as the exception.
He was basically splitting the C minutes evenly with Chewie until he got hurt.

He did have a few more games w/ decent minutes after Pitt:
GaTech 3, 4, 2 in 19 mins
Wake 4, 3, 1 in 17 mins
Mia 2, 2, 3 in 17 mins
UNC 4 & 10 in 22 mins

Are these amazing #'s? No, of course not.

But pretty solid for a Frosh Big man, who then got injured, which severely hampered his practicing and playing for the remainder of that season, and has HUGELY impacted his lack of progression this year, since he still hasn't seemed to recover from the surgery.
Which is why he's been really not great this whole last year.

How is an actual, factual thing that happened - his injury - an excuse??
It's an explanation.

But mostly - it's a shame.

but just don’t see it.
This is a fair point and it's only glimpses of Sidibe, at least in my case that I'm referring to and I'm mostly talking about him as a really solid piece of a center combo in the middle (as opposed to saying he's the next alonso mourning or even Rak, etc.).

But for me, we've seen in glimpses that he has the ability to do things we don't normally see our centers do. The 18 and 16 with 3 blocks game in 28 minutes vs. pitt (granted, it's the Stall Ball era for Pitt) is just something we rarely see centers do. I haven't done the research but outside of Rak, I'm not sure we've gotten that kind of game from a center since ronny -- even including games against team like northeastern who's center might be a slow, relatively unathletic 6-7 kid.

But I also thought he had some really nice moments in the first few games of his frosh year before the injury stuff became apparent and really, he hasn't hit the floor healthy for more than a few games at a time after a pain-killer shot of some form or another. Put up 11 against Texas Southern (who was supposed to be decent), put up 8 and 4 with a couple blocks in 20ish mins. vs. Maryland, in the ACC tournament after another shot and some rest, IIRC, he managed to grab 10 boards vs. Carolina. Even his free throws seemed to improve to at least bad (instead of atrocious) as he made 15 of 24 after a 4-for-16 start from the line ...

Even this year, he put up 8 points in just 14 mins. vs. eastern washington, had a double-double in a game that was much closer than we were hoping for vs. Colgate, he 8 in 22 mins. at Clemson ...

To be fair, maybe some of the optimism comes from how bad we've been here offensively (Chukwu averaged 5.4 points at his peak in 17-18, which means he was basically good for maybe a bucket or two a game in general), but I think Sidibe has flashed some potential. I just don't think he's been fully healthy since the first few games of his college career.

Well, besides the Pitt game (18, 16, 3 in 28 mins) which was the Magnum Opus of his Frosh year, he also had:
Cornell 7, 6, 2 in 19 mins
Iona 2, 4, 2 in 18 mins
Oak 2, 4, 1 in 7 mins
TxSo 11, 3, 0 in 21 mins
Toledo 4, 7, 1 in 24 mins
MD 8, 4, 2 in 22 mins

His minutes went WAY down after that, due to injury, with the Pitt outlier as the exception.
He was basically splitting the C minutes evenly with Chewie until he got hurt.

He did have a few more games w/ decent minutes after Pitt:
GaTech 3, 4, 2 in 19 mins
Wake 4, 3, 1 in 17 mins
Mia 2, 2, 3 in 17 mins
UNC 4 & 10 in 22 mins

Are these amazing #'s? No, of course not.

But pretty solid for a Frosh Big man, who then got injured, which severely hampered his practicing and playing for the remainder of that season, and has HUGELY impacted his lack of progression this year, since he still hasn't seemed to recover from the surgery.
Which is why he's been really not great this whole last year.

How is an actual, factual thing that happened - his injury - an excuse??
It's an explanation.

But mostly - it's a shame.
Sorry, didn't see this before I posted. But I agree and think even those games with larger minutes, he showed enough as a young kid to hope better things were ahead.

my take;

I agree on all except Braswell, who I expected to look awkward but was really impressed with how well he played in really limited opportunities. But at the end of the day, I think we can probably both agree to two things -- 1) we haven't seen enough to really know what's real and what's garbage time buckets and 2) if brissett is back and Guerrier is a factor as a frosh, Braswell's path to legit minutes is pretty difficult.

He put the ball in the hole but appeared herky jerky to me. I think his handle is weak. I like his outside shooting ability. If JB thought he was ready he would have received more time. I agree that it is a tiny sample.

I agree on all except Braswell, who I expected to look awkward but was really impressed with how well he played in really limited opportunities. But at the end of the day, I think we can probably both agree to two things -- 1) we haven't seen enough to really know what's real and what's garbage time buckets and 2) if brissett is back and Guerrier is a factor as a frosh, Braswell's path to legit minutes is pretty difficult.
If you have seen even the highlights of Guerrier, it is a safe bet he will be a factor. An inch taller than Hughes and more explosive.

Braswell’s path depends on his off-season development. Needs to get stronger, plain and simple. Seems to have skills, but it won’t matter unless he can rebound, defend, and score inside. If he can return at 200 LBs, maybe he has a chance.

At center, Jesse Edwards is likely to show up 25 LBs heavier than Dolezaj, while bringing a more natural jump shot. We aren’t going to know until the Italy trip, but the opportunity for Edwards is wide open. Dolezaj will get better (in skills) but will he add any bulk at all?

PG — several candidates, but other than Washington, none has primarily been a PG. Let the competition begin.

If you have seen even the highlights of Guerrier, it is a safe bet he will be a factor. An inch taller than Hughes and more explosive.

Braswell’s path depends on his off-season development. Needs to get stronger, plain and simple. Seems to have skills, but it won’t matter unless he can rebound, defend, and score inside. If he can return at 200 LBs, maybe he has a chance.

At center, Jesse Edwards is likely to show up 25 LBs heavier than Dolezaj, while bringing a more natural jump shot. We aren’t going to know until the Italy trip, but the opportunity for Edwards is wide open. Dolezaj will get better (in skills) but will he add any bulk at all?

PG — several candidates, but other than Washington, none has primarily been a PG. Let the competition begin.

I've seen the Guerrier highlights but I struggle with basketball highlights to really get a good feel for what we're going to see in real games. Like it's one thing when you watch Anthony Davis highlights or someone has an undeniable skill, like MCW's passing, but otherwise I struggle to get a real feel for someone's game.

That said, I like Guerrier's film. He kind of looks like the type of player we hope (and some may think) Brissett could be in some ways. I definitely agree he's on the floor and a good bet to be in the rotation, but I just don't know in exactly what capacity.

Agree on Bras and the PG situation and I say that's why it's tough to write off HW. I get that he's probably the least likely candidate to emerge as a consistent starter in some ways but he is the only guy who can definitively say he's a PG.

As for Edwards, I don't claim to know a lot about him. My opinion is big men just seem to take a little more time than guards/forwards. I also wonder if, even if sidibe is hurt, if we see a lineup of guerrier/hughes/brissett if there is foul trouble on Marek.

Time will tell, obviously, but interesting to discuss nonetheless.

You think Howard's out of the mix?

Never say never, but I'd say that he's got an uphill climb coming off of injury.

If he beats the other guys out, doesn't matter to me -- may the best players win the PT.

Never say never, but I'd say that he's got an uphill climb coming off of injury.

If he beats the other guys out, doesn't matter to me -- may the best players win the PT.

The fact that he's a PG makes him intriguing. I absolutely agree with the uphill climb part -- injury or not -- and I"m not trying to blame our putrid offense solely on some sort of vague notion of the sort of lazy cliche of 'the true point guard.' But I do think that it's a factor and that having someone who is comfortable leading the show and trying to be a facilitator first -- essentially some form of an extension of the head coach on the floor -- is a good thing if you have it on your roster. The only guy remotely close to fitting that bill for us is HW, at least as far as we know now.

Not sure how likely a starter or rotation guy that makes him but I do think it will play in his favor if he can prove the other parts of his game have come along. I feel the same way about Carey in terms of being a guy who can beat someone off the dribble -- we didn't have that this year and we certainly don't have that in buddy or HW or Hughes if somehow they consider him for a few minutes at the 2 (doubtful).

The fact that he's a PG makes him intriguing. I absolutely agree with the uphill climb part -- injury or not -- and I"m not trying to blame our putrid offense solely on some sort of vague notion of the sort of lazy cliche of 'the true point guard.' But I do think that it's a factor and that having someone who is comfortable leading the show and trying to be a facilitator first -- essentially some form of an extension of the head coach on the floor -- is a good thing if you have it on your roster. The only guy remotely close to fitting that bill for us is HW, at least as far as we know now.

Not sure how likely a starter or rotation guy that makes him but I do think it will play in his favor if he can prove the other parts of his game have come along. I feel the same way about Carey in terms of being a guy who can beat someone off the dribble -- we didn't have that this year and we certainly don't have that in buddy or HW or Hughes if somehow they consider him for a few minutes at the 2 (doubtful).

Don't forget Goodine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom