A lot of passively aggressive posting lately | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A lot of passively aggressive posting lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can a person be "passive" and "aggressive" at the same time? And be nice to me...I'm old!

Here's a suggestion [universally, not directed specifically at you newmexicuse]: avoid the mood swings, temper tantrums and manic, knee jerk reactions.

Things aren't always rainbows, unicorns, and sparklers when we win, and the sky isn't falling every time we lose.

great common sense suggestion, but if followed that would take all the fun out of being a fan !!!!

PS - no, I did not take it at all personally.

How can a person be "passive" and "aggressive" at the same time? And be nice to me...I'm old!

Another interesting question. Shouldn’t the phrase actually be passively aggressive? Aggressive is an adjective. A word that modifies an adjective is an adverb. The adverb form of passive is passively. So maybe the posts arent passive aggressive but passively aggressive.

Back to your point, that phrase could still be a bit paradoxical but not exactly. The opposite of aggresive is non-aggressive. Non-aggressively aggressive would not make sense. Passively aggresive, i believe theres some room to make sense of the phrase.

Mods, please adjust the title of this thread to a lot of passively aggressive postings. And thank god some of us have a handle on proper grammer...

Mods, please adjust the title of this thread to a lot of passively aggressive postings. And thank god some of us have a handle on proper grammer...
Done.

If that's what you REALLY wanted...

;)

Another interesting question. Shouldn’t the phrase actually be passively aggressive? Aggressive is an adjective. A word that modifies an adjective is an adverb. The adverb form of passive is passively. So maybe the posts arent passive aggressive but passively aggressive.

Back to your point, that phrase could still be a bit paradoxical but not exactly. The opposite of aggresive is non-aggressive. Non-aggressively aggressive would not make sense. Passively aggresive, i believe theres some room to make sense of the phrase.

No no! Passive aggressive is the proper term. D’oh!

A simple explanation for passive aggressive is that you act agreeable but underneath you’re a saboteur. Example:

“If you’re going to the store, will you get some milk?”

“Sure.”

Hours later. “Oh! There’s no milk. I thought you said you were going to the store.”

“I never said I was going to the store.”

‘But you said you’d get milk!”

“I said IF I went to the store I would get the milk, but I didn’t get around to going. If you want milk so bad, you go.”

You appear to agree, but you stick the knife in.

I know there are more technical explanations. And I do see examples of passive aggressive comments on the board, but for the most part I think it is a GREAT board, truly one of the best ones out there, probably THE best.

Now I’ve got to go and fix a snippy comment I made on another thread. I feel bad.

Just a thought but isnt a passive aggressive post on a fan board a bit redundant? anything aggressively posted on here is passive aggressive in the sense thats its not said in person. Everyone hides behind pseudonyms, so even being outwardly aggressive is still passive aggressive. So maybe the problem is that were all .

It's a natural thing. You know what they say about and opinions. If not just ask CuseFaninVT.

Here's a suggestion [universally, not directed specifically at you newmexicuse]: avoid the mood swings, temper tantrums and manic, knee jerk reactions.
What's the fun in that? It would make for the most mundane message board if all we did was withhold judgment on everything until after the season.

This is one of the best sports forums I've seen.

Have you seen some of the virtual cesspool forums surrounding most teams?

This place is an oasis in a desert of crap.

I agree. I used to post on a few other forums for the Chargers, etc...and they were far, far, far worse - and this is the only sports forum I still use. Sometimes HFBoards...but that's it.

The only thing I can’t relate to on this board is how people remember what posters said about one thing or another. Not sure about the passive aggressive thing, I think that phrase is thrown around pejoratively too much ... classic passive aggressive behavior is not always negative in outcome or intent.

The only thing I can’t relate to on this board is how people remember what posters said about one thing or another. Not sure about the passive aggressive thing, I think that phrase is thrown around pejoratively too much ... classic passive aggressive behavior is not always negative in outcome or intent.
This is what I was referring to...

No no! Passive aggressive is the proper term. D’oh!

A simple explanation for passive aggressive is that you act agreeable but underneath you’re a saboteur. Example:

“If you’re going to the store, will you get some milk?”

“Sure.”

Hours later. “Oh! There’s no milk. I thought you said you were going to the store.”

“I never said I was going to the store.”

‘But you said you’d get milk!”

“I said IF I went to the store I would get the milk, but I didn’t get around to going. If you want milk so bad, you go.”

You appear to agree, but you stick the knife in.

I know there are more technical explanations. And I do see examples of passive aggressive comments on the board, but for the most part I think it is a GREAT board, truly one of the best ones out there, probably THE best.

Now I’ve got to go and fix a snippy comment I made on another thread. I feel bad.

Ha, that's great!

Or..."Hey, if you're going to the store, pick up some milk." "Okay, sure thing babe!"

Hours later, "Did you pick up the milk?" "Yep, I sure did." "Great, thanks sweetie!"

A few moments later..."What the frig, what's this whole milk chit! If you were even remotely engaged around here and not so disconnected, you'd know that we haven't bought whole milk in years!" Who in the hell do you know that drinks farging whole milk these days anyways!" "But thanks 'dear' for making the effort in picking up the milk, our cat will certainly enjoy it." ;):)

Last edited:
I would respectfully disagree. I think PA behavior is always negative in outcome and intent. But I don’t think that people calling out other posters about their “errors” are PA. I think that is competitiveness.

Here’s how I look at it. There are many levels of competitiveness. Some people want their teams to win, are happy when they do, sad when they don’t. Some people also very much enjoy their competitor’s defeat. I am sure there are all kinds of other levels as well. But it strikes me that when you are on a fan board, the same qualities apply. For some, when we are “right,” the person who takes a different slant is “wrong.” And things proceed merrily from there.

There are definitely examples of passive aggressiveness in some comments but I would say mostly it’s competitiveness.

I didn't say withhold judgment. I said don't fly off the handle and act like a three-year-old at the first sign of adversity.

<This>

As I get older and gain more perspective, I’ve learned that polls don’t matter, recruiting rankings don’t matter (in general) and early season losses are gonna happen. This ain’t 1989. Hell, we were an NIT team in 2002, right before we won the whole thing. We’ve have some had some great runs and it occurred to me that some of our newer fans didn’t live though the early 80’s when we weren’t that good.

JB has built a great program, but it’s really hard to win now that everyone has players. We aren’t beating Colgate and Cornell 108-58 anymore. Everyone has players.

Murray State has some kid named Ja Morant? Maybe the #2 pick in the draft? What the fack?

Look at Kansas and Louisville and Michigan State and Arizona. 1 title in the last 25 years. Those are elite programs. JB has done a great job getting us in a position to compete for a title 5 times.

I’ve learned to roll with the punches. It’s a long season

Gotta give JB the benefit of the doubt. He’s a great coach. He’s proved it over and over. I’m going to trust that he knows what he’s going.

And no offense to Johnny Know It All, but I’m going to take HOF Jim Boeheim’s word over every single Internet hero that says “it’s time” or “he’s too old” or “game has passed him by”.

Great posts RF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online