"A lot of things are going to change..." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"A lot of things are going to change..."

Right. The team is "over-achieving" with a 7-6 record and when a legitimate case can be made that they don't deserve to be in the tournament. That about sums it up. Sparkling job by the staff. Tally-Ho.

Splintered RoofBeam

Desko again All ACC coach. Appears that his peers, UK and some others in the know can see the forest through the trees.

Splintered RoofBeam

Desko again All ACC coach. Appears that his peers, UK and some others in the know can see the forest through the trees.
Syracuse took two of the worst beatings in the history of the team and fumbled away the Navy game when they were up by a goal with 26 seconds left. Now the team is 7-6 and is on the bubble to make the tourney field. That gets you COY. I guess you and others are right, fans will have to lower their expectations for Syracuse lacrosse and just accept that it's one of the teams that play D1 lacrosse, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, that is quite the resume JD is building this year. He has certainly shown us all how to make a team better during the course of the year. Think of how much more proficient the team has gotten with FO's , EMO's, slide packages, clock utilization, ground balls, shooting placement, etc. Maybe the team will be left out of the NCAA tournament and he will receive even more accolades.

Splintered RoofBeam

Sometimes you take a step back to move two steps forward. Think our improvement in the next few years will be more than incremental however and you will once again be posting about FF visions as you did after Binghamton game. I'll stay the course.

Sometimes you take a step back to move two steps forward. Think our improvement in the next few years will be more than incremental however and you will once again be posting about FF visions as you did after Binghamton game. I'll stay the course.

reply for CousCoach

reply for CousCoach
That is the hope. And I can believe that could be what happens. If this didn't have the look of a text book case of a great coach who won championships and brought a program to the top but then somewhere along the way lost their passion and drive that it took to accomplish all those things. And has a cadre of alums, friends and explayers who will defend and rationalize all short comings.

Is the consensus among the Desko supporters here that how the team performs in the next 2-4 years will decide whether Desko stays or goes? If he doesn't make it to the final four within that time frame, will you want or consider a changing of the guard?

And for the firedesktop folks, who would be a current viable candidate to replace him? All the coaches being brought up (including Messere lol) don't seem to get anyone excited or optimistic.

I'm for keeping him around at least a couple more years to see how the current team combined with the strong recruiting class coming in performs over that aforementioned time frame.

Is the consensus among the Desko supporters here that how the team performs in the next 2-4 years will decide whether Desko stays or goes? If he doesn't make it to the final four within that time frame, will you want or consider a changing of the guard?

And for the firedesktop folks, who would be a current viable candidate to replace him? All the coaches being brought up (including Messere lol) don't seem to get anyone excited or optimistic.

I'm for keeping him around at least a couple more years to see how the current team combined with the strong recruiting class coming in performs over that aforementioned time frame.

I think it’s a little different at Syracuse as we have had so few coaches in our history, two being from the same family, if Desko did ever leave who would take his place, they have to have been through the system and also be someone respected in the Syracuse Organisation!

The staff do a great job every year but my only complaint would be that they need to do a better job recruiting for the spots required, playing players out of position shows we haven’t recruited people for open spots and it shouldnt happen! Will Murphy ever get a pole back I certainly hope so! How many attackman have we got on the roster next year, again many will play offensive middie! I don’t think we have had a great keeper for a longtime that has been recruited for the job! Molloy and Madonna although great keepers where not recruited to be starters, who do we have Penciled in for next year? How many great local players have we missed out on. I respect the let them come to us policy but what are we missing out on using this model?

UK, Cuse and other top tier D1's do try to target and map out rosters but they also overstock . The size of most d1 rosters is overkill imo but it is the way and players/ parents should have their eyes open to the numbers and mapping of rosters if p/t is priority. With the incoming class, the roster could easily exceed sixty the next two years given how little the roster rolls off . No laments here about our talent especially the younger classes , liken it to fruit ready to ripen in 2019 ... we are in good shape at G , as Cuse targeted and recruited several good young tenders, Porter was the 1st backup this year so assume he will be the lead candidate coming in next year. He is considered to be very competent as are a few others. Fogo position likely to still be a question as results this year have varied and the quality of depth will still be unknown, every team would obviously like to enjoy a consistent advantage there but few do. Have noticed that some fogos take a sudden jump so perhaps its just a matter of time for our then junior fogo to move towards 55- 60% . Perhaps a transfer is targeted from a less prominent program comes in to at least provide an additional option since 17- 18 transfer DeLisle graduates..... The position of SSDM does not seem to get specifically targeted in the recruiting process but believe staffs assess who has the necessary attributes of converting when recruiting. Many come from pool of OM's, some come from the other end, , its necessary to embrace the mindset to want that challenge. Those who succeed love the position and wouldn't switch back. Someone pointed out weeks ago, it takes time to adjust and develop to ssdm so expect improvement in that area especially from the frosh who struggled there at times.

the desko trend sheet

drawing-downward-graph-19537306.jpg

i will say we have already played a helluva schedule and faced and measured the new elites. go cuse.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom