A lot of work to do | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

A lot of work to do

Money, I really like your posts. Thanks for sharing your insights. My goal for the year was to be competitive with our peer schools. Being 4-0 with close wins over two similar programs puts us smack dab in the middle of competitive. We're not good, we're not bad, but we've been able to line up and play with schools that have mostly beaten us since the move to the ACC. I'm mostly giddy to be 4-0 after winning two games we could easily have lost.

I don't know how we'll finish but think we'll get to a bowl this year. We have some amazing players that are willing the team to win. We have some significant issues as well. Watching the team find ways to win is glorious though stressful. However, I can say with some certainty that close wins are a whole lot better than close losses. On to the next game! Beat Wagner!! LGO!!
IMO this is exactly the way to look at this team - a positive but measured, rational assessment. By any account, our D has been very good and ST's has saved our butts. Lots to be thankful for at 4-0.

Reading through this thread, however, you'd think we were 1-3. If there are issues with our offense, there might be more with some of our fans. Analysis is fine, but there is a lot of toxic criticism that ignores recent improvements in personnel and coaching and the clutch wins we've pulled out. The schedule's about to go uphill ... a gauntlet of teams that can score in more ways than we can. As a fanbase we'll need to 'try less harder'.

Last edited:
IMO this is exactly the way to look at this 4-0 team - a positive but measured, rational assessment. Our D has been amazing, and ST's has saved our butts. Lots to be thankful for.

Reading through this thread, however, you'd think we were 1-3. While there are problem with the offense, there might be even more with our fan base. We need to appreciate how far we've come instead of lamenting our inadequacies. The schedule's about to go uphill ... a gauntlet of teams that can score in more ways than we can. Let's support the team and 'try less harder'.

One could argue that we handle both success and failure pretty poorly as a fanbase. That starvation for success is growing on the hoops side and obviously front and center with football.

The tough thing is say we win 8 games. Bowling and a nice season. Is this season just another 2018 that is lightning in a bottle or is it the beginning of winning more year in year out, b2b bowl years and so on...

Right now things are better than expected results wise over 4 games and it's nice to enjoy it some and live more in the moment.

Yeah but you act like people dont say the same things you do. As if you see things better. Pointing out Shrader not throwing well is too casual. There's other things Cuse dont do well. No one thinks he's Trevor Lawrence. Just from reading some of your posts. You sound like you care more about Shrader failing so you can be right and less about SU winning a game.
B-I-N-G-O!! We have a winner folks.

One could argue that we handle both success and failure pretty poorly as a fanbase. That starvation for success is growing on the hoops side and obviously front and center with football.

The tough thing is say we win 8 games. Bowling and a nice season. Is this season just another 2018 that is lightning in a bottle or is it the beginning of winning more year in year out, b2b bowl years and so on...

Right now things are better than expected results wise over 4 games and it's nice to enjoy it some and live more in the moment.
This. Instead of fans just having fun with the winning, it's turned into we should be a 10 game winner and high end bowl OR it's our QB isn't good enough. It's crazy that some fans just can't enjoy the ride. :rolleyes:

No, i’m saying we simply did not deserve to win this football game. Again, we were up 16-0 at half and in complete control, the only way they get back in the game is if we let them, and oh look, that’s exactly what happened. Just because Virginia didn’t play flawlessly doesn’t mean we deserved to win, we did everything in our power to be 3-1 last night and just managed to pull it out against a UVA team that we were undoubtedly better than.
Makes zero sense when looking at the facts. We outgained them, ran more plays, had more first downs, more scoring drives, led TOP by ~ 8 minutes. Oh, and we had more points.

Last edited:
Makes zero sense when looking at the facts. We outlined them, ran more plays, had more first downs, more scoring drives, led TOP by ~ 8 minutes. Oh, and we had more points.
Makes perfect sense actually. We turned the ball over 4 times and had 6 second half points, we did everything in our power to lose, and didn’t deserve the win and if Virginia doesn’t miss 1 of those 2 FGs, we don’t get the win.

Makes zero sense when looking at the facts. We outlined them, ran more plays, had more first downs, more scoring drives, led TOP by ~ 8 minutes. Oh, and we had more points.
We don’t ever see people talking about past games SU deserved to win lol. Years from now we will be talking about the wins. Doesn’t matter how we got them.

...but his vision for finding holes and slipping through glancing blows is gone...

but he is doing too much to try to display multiple qualities for scouts that are just not his strengths.
Unless there is some "Being John Malkovich" thing going on here, you're making stuff up.

Makes perfect sense actually. We turned the ball over 4 times and had 6 second half points, we did everything in our power to lose, and didn’t deserve the win.
if you are still in position to win despite the turnovers then you deserve to win. Should we negate the last drive of the game because we turned the ball over earlier in the game? UVA failed to stop us when it counted most. They had a chance to win.

Makes perfect sense actually. We turned the ball over 4 times and had 6 second half points, we did everything in our power to lose, and didn’t deserve the win and if Virginia doesn’t miss 1 of those 2 FGs, we don’t get the win.
If we don't turn the ball over 4 times we win by a landslide. Can't play the "if" game.

if you are still in position to win despite the turnovers then you deserve to win. Should we negate the last drive of the game because we turned the ball over? UVA failed to stop us when it counted. They had to chance to win.
Disagree. Virginia missed 2 FGs, they make 1 of those we’re 3-1. We had a lesser team down 16-0 at half and we go on to score 6 points in the 2nd half. We won despite the turnovers because Virginia is a lesser team and a poorly coached team, we shouldn’t have lost the lead, it shouldn’t have been that close, and it only was because we played poor enough football that we didn’t deserve to win the game. Am I happy we won? Of course, but this is one where if we lost I would’ve been annoyed rather than disappointed because it would’ve been completely self inflicted.

Disagree. Virginia missed 2 FGs, they make 1 of those we’re 3-1. We had a lesser team down 16-0 at half and we go on to score 6 points in the 2nd half.
Im sorry. To say a team dont deserve to win because they didnt capitalize early makes no sense to me. So every team in history should forfeit a game when they lost the turnover battle?

Nope. Citing how many points we scored in a subset of the game is silly, because we outscored them 16-0 in the first half. The final score is additive.
We made just enough plays to outscore the opponent. Hence, we deserved to win.

Im sorry. To say a team dont deserve to win because they didnt capitalize early makes no sense to me. So every team in history should forfeit a game when they lost the turnover battle?
No, you should do everything you can to overcome your mistakes and win the game, which of course we did. But that doesn’t change the fact we flat out didn’t deserve this win. In no way should this game have been this close, again 6 points in the 2nd half at home is unacceptable.

Nope. Citing how many points we scored in a subset of the game is silly, because we outscored them 16-0 in the first half. The final score is additive.
We made just enough plays to outscore the opponent. Hence, we deserved to win.
It’s not silly. First half football is different than 2nd half football, it’s a whole new game, multiple adjustments, different gameplans, getting outscored 20-6 at home after having the game in complete control is a problem, especially against a team we are better than.

No, you should do everything you can to overcome your mistakes and win the game, which of course we did. But that doesn’t change the fact we flat out didn’t deserve this win. In no way should this game have been this close, again 6 points in the 2nd half at home is unacceptable.
Well of course. Games dont always go as planned. We were bad in the redzone. I thought that was the biggest factor. Kicking FG's doesnt allow you to get the seperation you need to put teams away. These type of games happen all the time, at all levels of the game. When you see upsets, or when you are surprised how close a particular game was. Its mostly because of turnovers.

It’s not silly. First half football is different than 2nd half football, it’s a whole new game, multiple adjustments, different gameplans, getting outscored 20-6 at home after having the game in complete control is a problem, especially against a team we are better than.
This final score concept seems to be giving you problems.

We are 4-0. We got some breaks and won a couple of games playing poorly. Did we deserve to win? That’s football. How many games over the years did we outplay the opposition and get screwed on calls, turnovers etc? A lot! It’s football. This team is gutting it out. And for the first time in 20 years (2018 sez hello) we are off to a great start. The kids are playing hard. We have injuries. Same as everyone else. It’s football. I for one am enjoying the ride this year. GO!

Disagree. Virginia missed 2 FGs, they make 1 of those we’re 3-1. We had a lesser team down 16-0 at half and we go on to score 6 points in the 2nd half. We won despite the turnovers because Virginia is a lesser team and a poorly coached team, we shouldn’t have lost the lead, it shouldn’t have been that close, and it only was because we played poor enough football that we didn’t deserve to win the game. Am I happy we won? Of course, but this is one where if we lost I would’ve been annoyed rather than disappointed because it would’ve been completely self inflicted.
If every game always goes as planned there will be a lot of rich gamblers lol . Football is situational. We had the better 1st half. They had the better second half. We had the better final drive that ended up being the game winner. I dont like how we won either but they figured out a way.

If every game always goes as planned there will be a lot of rich gamblers lol . Football is situational. We had the better 1st half. They had the better second half. We had the better final drive that ended up being the game winner. I dont like how we won either but they figured out a way.
Of course, and being an avid bettor, I wish more games went as planned lol. My main point being I believe we could’ve avoided needing that final drive to win the game, as you said football is situational, and I thought in most situations on Friday night we were very disappointing and could’ve/should’ve executed a lot better, most of our mistakes were self inflicted.

Of course, and being an avid bettor, I wish more games went as planned lol. My main point being I believe we could’ve avoided needing that final drive to win the game, as you said football is situational, and I thought in most situations on Friday night we were very disappointing and could’ve/should’ve executed a lot better, most of our mistakes were self inflicted.
I agree. I was too but being disappointed and them deserving to win is two different things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom