A lot of work to do | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

A lot of work to do

I have the same concern, but I've also watched all of the other teams remaining on our schedule and none of them are dominant.

I think we'll find a way to win at least one and feel it's more likely that we pull out 2-3 wins out of our last 7 following Wagner.

Agreed... We seem to have some luck on our side this year as well (for once!)

So I am hopeful as well...

It usually is...just saying. It's like watching a bunch of petulant children throw temper tantrums. Great entertainment if you enjoy watching grown-ups acting badly.
Even during the 2018 season is was constant bitching because Syracuse wins a game or two and suddenly they should be dominating people akin to Georgia, totally ignoring the fact that 2018 was lightening in a bottle and this team in particular is installing a brand new offense.

Even during the 2018 season is was constant bitching because Syracuse wins a game or two and suddenly they should be dominating people akin to Georgia, totally ignoring the fact that 2018 was lightening in a bottle and this team in particular is installing a brand new offense.
I think it's deeper than that...but I agree with you. As my dad used to say; "Misery loves company".

It usually is...just saying. It's like watching a bunch of petulant children throw temper tantrums. Great entertainment if you enjoy watching grown-ups acting badly.
Yeah. I am usually at the game and not in the thread but let my son and his friends go last night. So yeah I am sure but man there's grown @$$ men acting and lashing out like 5 year old kids having tantrums...effin crazy. Kudos to the mods for not only the patience of Jobe but what I am guessing is really quick post deleting of what they can.

They put themselves in a position to get lucky and can finish
40EFF94C-D152-45B5-89F3-1C578C0E843E.jpeg

A lot of people win predictions on the season went sky high after one game. I dont know why. Too small of a sample size to tell. Last two games tells us what type of team they are. They will win some tight games and they will lose some tight ones. Games dont always go the way we envision. Nothing is guarantee.
Money, I really like your posts. Thanks for sharing your insights. My goal for the year was to be competitive with our peer schools. Being 4-0 with close wins over two similar programs puts us smack dab in the middle of competitive. We're not good, we're not bad, but we've been able to line up and play with schools that have mostly beaten us since the move to the ACC. I'm mostly giddy to be 4-0 after winning two games we could easily have lost.

I don't know how we'll finish but think we'll get to a bowl this year. We have some amazing players that are willing the team to win. We have some significant issues as well. Watching the team find ways to win is glorious though stressful. However, I can say with some certainty that close wins are a whole lot better than close losses. On to the next game! Beat Wagner!! LGO!!

Money, I really like your posts. Thanks for sharing your insights. My goal for the year was to be competitive with our peer schools. Being 4-0 with close wins over two similar programs puts us smack dab in the middle of competitive. We're not good, we're not bad, but we've been able to line up and play with schools that have mostly beaten us since the move to the ACC. I'm mostly giddy to be 4-0 after winning two games we could easily have lost.

I don't know how we'll finish but think we'll get to a bowl this year. We have some amazing players that are willing the team to win. We have some significant issues as well. Watching the team find ways to win is glorious though stressful. However, I can say with some certainty that close wins are a whole lot better than close losses. On to the next game! Beat Wagner!! LGO!!
You are on point. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

These are the type of Threads that make me take a break from the board. The teams projected over/under in vegas was 4 wins. They have that in week 4. You have an undefeated team with a warrior for qb and now he’s no good Bc they won by 2?! Now there’s a lot to work on when you’re 4-0? Everyone here woulda been thrilled to be 2-2 when this started 4 weeks ago. Good lord everyone, this is such a Syracuse attitude to be miserable when they win.

I get the same feeling from reading the basketball forum.

That was as physical and as athletic a defensive unit as I have seen in the Done in a long time.

The UVA DL dominated our OL and the UVA speed closed down our misdirection efforts.

We got beat up tonight.

But, we hung tough and won the ballgame.

Let’s Go Orange!

Yeah, I was really impressed with UVA’s defense. Quite a turnaround. They were fast and physical. Played with attitude. Like ours does.

We are a home dog to NCSt after this
We were probably a home dog anyway. Until we beat someone with number in front of their name, there is reason for pundits to doubt us.

Tucker has seriously regressed I don't think people realize how good he was last year. We are 4-0 despite this. Jones loss was huge he was clearly the best WR other than Gadsden.

Just because we weren't great this week or last doesn't mean we wont play well vs NC State.
I think you need to look at something other than just the player holding the ball. He's had much less room to run.

Last edited:
Who ducking cares how the game went, a win is a win! Team of destiny
I get what your saying, but I care. Laying two eggs in a row on offense is reason to wonder how well we'll play against the better competition we have coming up. A blowout win with spot on execution that lets backups get significant playing time is better than a squeaker where we scratch, claw, and stumble to a win we are fortunate to get.

I get what your saying, but I care. Laying two eggs in a row on offense is reason to wonder how well we'll play against the better competition we have coming up. A blowout win with spot on execution that lets backups get significant playing time is better than a squeaker where we scratch, claw, and stumble to a win we are fortunate to get.
But this is a team that was supposed to start 3-2, maybe 4-1 at best… no rationale person should have thought (or should think) the team are world beaters. A bowl game is all but assured considering BCs decline and that was the goal preseason, don’t let a game against an under performing Louisville sway you to think this team is suddenly a contender in a division with 3 top 25 teams

But this is a team that was supposed to start 3-2, maybe 4-1 at best… no rationale person should have thought (or should think) the team are world beaters. A bowl game is all but assured considering BCs decline and that was the goal preseason, don’t let a game against an under performing Louisville sway you to think this team is suddenly a contender in a division with 3 top 25 teams
I don't watch games simply for the outcome or to compare it to preseason expectations. I hope to see my team play well. I don't see anyone here complaining that we won. People are pretty objectively pointing out things we need to do better, if we want to beat the good teams on our schedule.

If a bowl game is all but assured, all that matters is W's and L's, and we shouldn't critique anything after a win, why watch the games going forward? Just check the score the next day.

This is a place to discuss both the good and bad about our favorite team. I see both happening. If we're not going to do that, this'll be a quiet and boring place.

I don't watch games simply for the outcome or to compare it to preseason expectations. I hope to see my team play well. I don't see anyone here complaining that we won. People are pretty objectively pointing out things we need to do better, if we want to beat the good teams on our schedule.

If a bowl game is all but assured, all that matters is W's and L's, and we shouldn't critique anything after a win, why watch the games going forward? Just check the score the next day.

This is a place to discuss both the good and bad about our favorite team. I see both happening. If we're not going to do that, this'll be a quiet and boring place.
It’s not the critiquing, it’s the unrealistic expectations being placed onto the team. I want them to win every game too, but I’m not going to claim they’re failures if they ONLY achieve the preseason goal of a bowl game which we thought was about a 50% chance at best.

It’s not the critiquing, it’s the unrealistic expectations being placed onto the team. I want them to win every game too, but I’m not going to claim they’re failures if they ONLY achieve the preseason goal of a bowl game which we thought was about a 50% chance at best.
Has anyone called them failures in this thread? Across a bunch of threads I've only seen a lot of critiquing about oline play, Tucker's play, and our scheme regarding what we can improve to get better. Exactly what I would hope for after a sloppy win that we needed a little luck to get.

I have compared shrader to Fitz before. Lots to admire, impossible to dislike, but you know instantly when you have bad Fitz or shrader instantly and you know he's not a long term solution. We got wins in games where he was bad right grin the get go which feel like gifts. Maybe good shrader shows up in the right spots against better teams and we get lucky some more

I agree with you 100 percent,

When you start to develop expectations as fans, the tone changes very quickly. I appreciate the tone I’m reading, because (at least) I think that people may be excited about what we could be, and winning despite a poor outing by certain players, means there’s a lot of room for growth.

1. Shrader isn’t killing us. Our OL is. I’d Dakota Davis can’t pass block, we need to find someone who can. Vet in the middle is killing us as well. We need to get this straight and fast.

2. Play calling is not helping Tucker. Running him up the middle for a majority of us runs and hoping he makes someone miss Isn’t the recipe. We’re not even running zone blocking for a majority of those inside runs, which I think would help his one cut and go style.

3. I don’t have too many concerns about our WRs. There are some drops, but we’ve been much better than last year.

4. DL has been and will continue to be our kryptonite. Love Dartons stories and how much he grinds. A majority of his tackles are coming between 3-5 yards behind the LOS. We need to figure something out on the DL. This isn’t a quick fix though.

5. End of the day, 4-0 baby. I’m thrilled to be winning again. Get a little better each week. Get to 6 wins, and then let things happen as they do.

Let’s go orange!
A voice of reason, losing fumbles on our side of the field is the biggest problem.
Protecting the ball needs to be a top priority.

Last week I said we are a 7 to 9 win regular season team. Still feel that way. Think nine wins would mean we got a few lucky bounces in the back half of the schedule.

OL wasn’t good. Tucker is banged up and they tried to force him the ball. Shrader needs to have better vision. We don’t have the depth to take on the number of injuries we have now. The number of turnovers was unacceptable.

But we’re 4-0. Our kicker made five FGs. We have studs on D. Gadsen looks legit. We have Wagner then a bye week to get healthy and figure stuff out.

NC State will be a tough game, but I’m hoping we can steal that game and get to bowl eligibility and then we have that burden lifted and can play a bit freer because that will be hanging over our heads.

My hope for biggest changes after Wagner is that our OL shores up and we can get slightly better. I’m not expecting a monstrous change. Hope Tucker can get fully healthy. Hope Shrader finds a #2 he can trust in the WR group.

Let’s get the W against Wagner, get as healthy as possible and beating NC State is good for the world, so let’s do that too.

I have compared shrader to Fitz before. Lots to admire, impossible to dislike, but you know instantly when you have bad Fitz or shrader instantly and you know he's not a long term solution. We got wins in games where he was bad right grin the get go which feel like gifts. Maybe good shrader shows up in the right spots against better teams and we get lucky some more
We also got wins because of Shrader's good. Every QB has good and bad. Not just Shrader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom