A Thought on Dino's Contract | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A Thought on Dino's Contract

This really isn’t unique to a head coach.

But is it?

How many coordinators has Belichek gone through how about Urban Meyer, Jimbo, Harbaugh, Nick Saban? How often do we talk about Coaching Trees and who they learned under?

The good ones have their coordinators cherry picked on a regular basis, the good coaches step up and keep winning with their replacements

Make our top assistants an offer they cannot refuse.
100% the assistants are priority number one especially over Dino babers! This season the first six games was remarkably more efficient, better playing on both sides especially on offense plus how can we forget about how much better they've got the same voice and everything shader did from last season to this season!
I do not see any reason whatsoever to keep Dino babers around. he doesn't even have an identity coaching anymore, coaching style. He used to have the whole orange is the new fast or wherever he's been at he does not even the last three years we haven't even been playing in that style of offense, not even close sometime 60 plays a game just playing terrible. At least this year were going to a bowl no matter how bad these last four weeks have been some are obviously injuries and some of the depth issues. Also in my opinion get a just hire a nutritionist and see what the results are, is that simple.
Somebody else just explain to me why every single other school has one except for us which obviously manifest injuries some of these guys probably out of shape not in top shape like their peers are and can I forget about recruiting and the fact that every single other school recruiting against us knows this exact fact and now the hell is that good for us!
Bringing him back next season is stupid! Delaying the inevitable and nobody can make or please try make some sense that will change my mind on this issue because he is lost out there and when he is lost out there Syracuse football is lost.
As a program, and as a power 5, 4, 3 whatever it may become and tons of money lost so what are we even talking about!?? The catastrophic mess that will become Syracuse Athletics, specifically the big two of course will be such a mess!!!

Last edited:
We need to keep this entire group together, give them all of the moneys. Back the Brinks truck up. Merry Christmas.

We need to keep this entire group together, give them all of the moneys. Back the Brinks truck up. Merry Christmas.

Now I definitely do agree with bringing the staff back - Dino babers he's been here long enough the tenant 3 season probably has some form of an asterisk because a lot of them were not his players. I don't know he just has not seemed to transition to the power 5 level as a coach whatsoever and like I said he seems completely lost out there sometimes with these time out calls for instance that just make you want to smash your head into a wall because you cannot understand what the hell is going through his LOL

Now I definitely do agree with bringing the staff back - Dino babers he's been here long enough the tenant 3 season probably has some form of an asterisk because a lot of them were not his players. I don't know he just has not seemed to transition to the power 5 level as a coach whatsoever and like I said he seems completely lost out there sometimes with these time out calls for instance that just make you want to smash your head into a wall because you cannot understand what the hell is going through his LOL
also one more point if as you say bring back up the money or you know bring the money like I said the rest white is a very good defensive coordinator soon-to-be add coach as well as the former Virginia assistance are also very good and up-and-coming and I would like to keep them going in that direction here!
But if we're going to spend all this money we might as well go for it and see if we can get a big-name coach here why the hell not why would you not do that and logically makes perfect sense and it's completely illogical if you don't try so wildhack if you do nothing then you should be gone as well! Plain and simple there is too much riding I'm these decisions in the next couple seasons

Good hitters in baseball get hits. Bad hitters don't hit the ball. Good coaches win games. Bad coaches don't win games.

Dino doesn't win games - look at his record. He isn't a good coach. Enough excuses.

We don't officially know in what year Dino's current contract terminates. Our best guess is 2024, so I'm using this as the benchmark.

Let's say Dino's contract runs through 2024. You don't let a coach enter the final year of his contract because it's impossible to recruit that way, so a decision needs to be made on Dino no later than roughly November 25, 2023.

This season, Dino has led Syracuse to bowl eligibility for the second time in his seven year tenure. Additionally, his 2017 team was competitive but ultimately lacked depth. His 2019 team had scheme and talent issues. His 2021 team had numerous misses that arguably came down to coaching. 2016 was forgivable and sometimes fun. 2020, perhaps, can be dismissed because of COVID protocols, a very young squad in several key areas, and serious QB issues.

2022, on the other hand, feels like a team on a solid foundation, with depth in numerous places. There's also indications that success could continue into 2023, given who still has eligibility remaining.

So what should Syracuse do here? If his contract runs through 2024, should Cuse reward Dino, or should they wait and see? This also assumes Dino won't leave for another job, which I personally don't think is a possibility, based on his track records here.

Here's my proposal, again with the assumption that his contract runs through 2024. I say extend him through 2025, structured around a pay raise but a more Cuse-favorable buy out. Then, build in a rolling extension, similar to what Mark Stoops gets at Kentucky. That is, if Dino makes a bowl game, another year automatically adds on to his contract.

If Dino can finally get some consistency going, a structure like that should carry him through until he decides to leave or retire.

Thoughts?
If history repeats itself, next year we will not go to a bowl as the year after Dungey when Devito took over as quarterback. If that happens, then do not offer a new contract at the end of 2023 season. At that point it will be two winning seasons in eight. Say good bye to Dino. Don't offer a new contract

If history repeats itself, next year we will not go to a bowl as the year after Dungey when Devito took over as quarterback. If that happens, then do not offer a new contract at the end of 2023 season. At that point it will be two winning seasons in eight. Say good bye to Dino. Don't offer a new contract
Yeah, the topic of this thread did not age well.

Great discussion in the thread, and I have only one thing that I fully believe we should address, as ugly as it might seem. We need another ace recruiter. I'd make room for one.

tough sport.. we played 1 bad game all year and people are jumping ship..

if we swap a few games around to go 6-4 like lose to Purdue but beat Clemson people think differently.

duke is 7-3 and who have they beat?

kansas started 5-0 had the QB get hurt and has gone 1-4

nc st started 5-1 had qb get hurt and has gone 2-2

it happens

6-4 is only bad because at 6-0 people started to dream too big

6 was the goal.

if we swap a few games around to go 6-4 like lose to Purdue but beat Clemson people think differently.

it happens

6 was the goal.
7 was my goal

it happens

6 was the goal.
Getting to six wins in year seven? Have not won a November game in three years? Dream big? Babers needs to go!

Getting to six wins in year seven? Have not won a November game in three years? Dream big? Babers needs to go

!I understand your point but what matters is where we are right now. We are going to win 7 games this serason We don't fire a coach with 7 wins with our schedule. Maybe 8. The clock management has to be addressed by JW.

it happens

6 was the goal.
Six might’ve been the goal for you.

Dino should be canned if we lose to BC. Last year I was all about Willie Fritz. I can't believe nobody hired him and he's still at Tulane.
Should but he won’t be. Fire Edinger first, that guy is the worst. Hopefully we beat BC I think we will, but if Mikel is out even that crap team can score on us. Fritz could go to Ga Tech, guy is a great coach

Steven Godfrey regularly does a coach gossip segment on the split zone duo patreon podcast.

When they were 5 or 6-0 he said that in the preseason funds had been raised to buyout Dino if things went south but since they’d had such a great start it wouldn’t be an issue. This past week he brought up that those funds had once been pledged so the powers that be might be in a “quandary” if they lost to BC and finished 6-6.

Steven Godfrey regularly does a coach gossip segment on the split zone duo patreon podcast.

When they were 5 or 6-0 he said that in the preseason funds had been raised to buyout Dino if things went south but since they’d had such a great start it wouldn’t be an issue. This past week he brought up that those funds had once been pledged so the powers that be might be in a “quandary” if they lost to BC and finished 6-6.
Interesting.. if we lose to that crap BC team to officially cave in, they should buy him out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom