A Thought on Dino's Contract | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

A Thought on Dino's Contract

We need a guy like Clawson who has a good eye for talent, develops it, brings discipline (i.e lack of penalties), and manages a game well.
3-9
3-9
7-6
8-5
4-5
11-3
7-4

Something tells me that if Clawson had this resume at SU the pitchforks and torches would have started being assembled in year 3 and would've been out in force in year 5.

So in the current landscape we will continue to sign coaches to contracts with buyouts we can’t afford?

I would hope that we learned our lesson.

A big time school doesn't care as they have boosters to cover it. Everyone else is dumb to make these deals. For example Arizona and Dino might have loved each other, but they cannot afford to pay him $5M a year and a $5M buyout. There is no need for SU to have the buyout be Dino's entire contract. As long as we get something from a big time program we should be happy. A mid level program cannot afford poaching our HC.

I think he has done a very good job for Wake, but I am not sure he is much different than Dino here. In 9 seasons he has had only one winning ACC record (just like Dino). He has also had pretty easy OOC schedules at Wake. Which wouldn't have been the case here. Take those away and his time at Wake is a lot like Dino minus 2020. And that is with Hartman. They have looked worse when he was out or before him.
7 straight bowls since 2016

There's also a lot more schools in NC that he has to recruit against, who all have bigger fanbases, better facilities, and easier to get into. We're the only P5 school in NY and very few other NE schools.
Oh I know that but he is able to get 4 or 5 each year from North Carolina. Then some from South Carolina. it’s also easier to sell the school to southern athletes because it’s closer and warmer.

I agreed with it. Just don’t price yourself out of the buyout if you need to replace him
Dino was in the power position at that time. We had lost forever. We believed in Dino and he just won 10 games and a bowl game. We had beat Clemson the year before and had them beat that year. It isn't fair at all to pretend that we could risk losing him then. Looking back now, of course it looks different.

A buyout at a school like Syracuse is always difficult.

If you have a smaller buyout, then he's gone to a bigger school and you get next to nothing. If he stinks, then it doesn't cut so deep when you fire him.

If you have a larger buyout, then he's gone to a bigger school and you have more millions to play around with. If he stinks, it makes firing him much more difficult.

90% of the board
Bees, what's your take on the situation? Best we can do at Syracuse is a Dino type guy?

I'm genuinely indifferent to what they do coaching wise because absent a transcendant coaching talent we're going to be what we are. To me that variable would have to come from the northeast to potentially take advantage of the under rated players up here.

No clue when his contract expires but if he has 2 years left, IMO we should extend him 2 years with a much more favorable buy out for both parties to make it fair. Otherwise recruiting will suffer and you dig a bigger hole for the next guy. Having questions if he is staying or going will make recruiting even harder next year. Making a "commitment" now will help that, while also leaving a way out if need be after 2023.
Well... the offense DOES kick in, some time around the 4th game of the 10th year, so we'd have that to look forward to.

3-9
3-9
7-6
8-5
4-5
11-3
7-4

Something tells me that if Clawson had this resume at SU the pitchforks and torches would have started being assembled in year 3 and would've been out in force in year 5.
You omitted 2 seasons. 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, 8-5. Wake had made 6 bowl games in the 100 years before Clawson and have made 8 since he has been coach.

I agreed with it. Just don’t price yourself out of the buyout if you need to replace him

If the buyout is too small then he could have been pouched. I have no idea what the sweet spot is but I’m sure they wanted it big enough to minimize him leaving.

Bees, what's your take on the situation? Best we can do at Syracuse is a Dino type guy?

I'm genuinely indifferent to what they do coaching wise because absent a transcendant coaching talent we're going to be what we are. To me that variable would have to come from the northeast to potentially take advantage of the under rated players up here.

I kind of think either a Dino type or a young up and coming guy. Doesn’t mean that’s the best we can do record wise. But we aren’t gonna entice some experienced highly successful P5 coach.

Yes, I agree but its both. Need to get the best you can get and find hidden talent that you can mold. You cant have more than half of your roster with kids that may or may not develop. Its too risky. The obvious prospects are easy to evaluate. As far as the hidden gems, evaluators might be able to see the talent but its not a guarantee that talent develops into what you envisioned. It just makes it harder to determine how much time you spend recruiting the region for hidden gems and how much time you spend in other parts of the country. Now we have transfer portal and NIL opportunities. It makes out developing and out scheming coaches with more talent even more challenging.
Texas Arse & M bought their whole team.
We need to continue to emphasize our key areas, hit the portal , and use NIL for retention and Portal. Not HS crap shoots.

100%, the extension was put in place with high buyouts to protect SU in case someone poached Dino. You can't blame them for putting that in at the time. Unfortunately its become an albatross and made it nearly impossible for SU to move on.

That said, if there is one thing Wildhack hates its to be blown out/embarrassed on national TV. Dino has largely avoided that save for the FSU game as even ND was somewhat close for 3 quarters. That said a bad performance against BC could move him to take action though at this point I am 95% sure he will be back.
Hes back next year 1000 percent.
Next year he needs to show out.

I kind of think either a Dino type or a young up and coming guy. Doesn’t mean that’s the best we can do record wise. But we aren’t gonna entice some experienced highly successful P5 coach.
I’m with you. I’ll take Dino over a Dino type because I’m indifferent w the volatility.

3-9
3-9
7-6
8-5
4-5
11-3
7-4

They've been consistently solid-good since his 3rd season. He gets them to a bowl practically every year. I would be very happy with his results.

Last edited:
Dino doesn't like the SU job in one bit, except for the $$ and that it is a P5 head coaching gig.
I don’t think any coach who comes in here without extensive knowledge of this program its predicament and short comings understands how difficult the job actually is. Nor did Dino regardless of what is said and I think it can be very frustrating.

not sure who the next coach will be but they better do a better job of trying to hire a coach with a plan on how to be successful at Syracuse in particular not just anywhere. There’s too many challenges here to not be prepared for them. At least Wildhack will understand what it’s going to take, not sure the guy that hired Dino did but I loved the hiring of Dino at the time.

it will be a tough hire but the knowledge of this program would be important to me, not just a guy that’s happy for the pay hike and to be a HC at a P5 program. find the guy who Knows exactly what they are getting into here and what their vision is to be successful and I think you might be on the right road as there is too big a learning curve with some hires. Could be a coach that has done well under similar circumstances as well, who has recruited in areas that aren’t hotspots, done more with less but show me the track record and demonstrated success.

If you can't find a coach with head coaching experience that meets the criteria. I would probably look towards White. At least he knows the landscape

Last edited:
I don’t think any coach who comes in here without extensive knowledge of this program its predicament and short comings understands how difficult the job actually is. Nor did Dino regardless of what is said and I think it can be very frustrating.

not sure who the next coach will be but they better do a better job of trying to hire a coach with a plan on how to be successful at Syracuse in particular not just anywhere. There’s too many challenges here to not be prepared for them. At least Wildhack will understand what it’s going to take, not sure the guy that hired Dino did but I loved the hiring of Dino at the time.

it will be a tough hire but the knowledge of this program would be important to me, not just a guy that’s happy for the pay hike and to be a HC at a P5 program. find the guy who Knows exactly what they are getting into here and what their vision is to be successful and I think you might be on the right road as there is too big a learning curve with some hires. Could be a coach that has done well under similar circumstances as well, who has recruited in areas that aren’t hotspots, done more with less but show me the track record and demonstrated success.

If you can't find a coach with head coaching experience that meets the criteria. I would probably look towards White. At least he knows the landscape

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

100%