Abrupt change in recruiting... | Syracusefan.com

Abrupt change in recruiting...

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
I just went back through all of the classes in the 24/7 database since Carmelo left. It's staggering to see the drop off in the kids we have recruited the past 5 years. Between 2006-2014 there were 9 classes and in 7 of those we brought in at least 1 kid ranked in the top 25 along with another top 50 recruit in addition. Starting with 2015 we have 0 classes with multiple top 50 kids and 0 top 25 kids period. Since 2017 there hasn't even been 1 top 50 recruit until Benny.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that our team has struggled on the court for the last 5 years but I really did not think that there was THAT steep of a drop off in recruiting the last few years to the prior decade plus but it is clear and correlates directly to our perpetual bubble status of late.

I do think a combination of random early entrants and JBs coaching status has given us issues

I just went back through all of the classes in the 24/7 database since Carmelo left. It's staggering to see the drop off in the kids we have recruited the past 5 years. Between 2006-2014 there were 9 classes and in 7 of those we brought in at least 1 kid ranked in the top 25 along with another top 50 recruit in addition. Starting with 2015 we have 0 classes with multiple top 50 kids and 0 top 25 kids period. Since 2017 there hasn't even been 1 top 50 recruit until Benny.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that our team has struggled on the court for the last 5 years but I really did not think that there was THAT steep of a drop off in recruiting the last few years to the prior decade plus but it is clear and correlates directly to our perpetual bubble status of late.
Well Hop left and he took some kids.

hmmm, let me think, what happened in 2015 that could have impacted recruiting?
So that covers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021? The ol' 7 year penalty in which they are now only allowed to bring kids in that are about an average ranking of 150. I must have missed the details where that penalty goes on in perpetuity.

the classes of 18, 19 and 20 have seen consistent increases in talent level
and then you get to benny in 21
Consistent in that 75% of the recruits were ranked 120+ and 2 of the 3 that managed to be ranked in the top 100 have already transferred out.

We've never experienced recruiting this badly before. Atleast to my knowledge. It's the same on the football side, EVERY recruit is under-rated or under the radar but our win/loss record says otherwise.

Lol at this 2018 take being posted on the day we just signed a top 25 recruit.
Benny is a terrific player. We now have two top 50 prospects signed from 2019-2022. And yes I'm aware that there is still time left in 2022.

I have been bellyaching about our recruiting downward spiral for sometime. I think I even got banned for it at one time...lol

My take (yes, I've repeated it over and over)... It started with preparation for the 2016 OLyMPICS. JB took Hop (#1 recruiter at the time) away from the program. Their absence left GMAC ?? in charge. Bryan antoine (NOVA) and Scottie Lewis (UF) were a couple underclassmen top 20 recruits out of NJ. During the Olympic summer they visited Colgate. Yes, COLGATE!!! That's the kind of "sleeping at the wheel" recruiting that was going on in the Boss and Hop's absence. We are not Duke. Our rep was not going to get us top 10 recruits like Duke. Those kids should have been invited regardless of their interest.

Other recruits were obviously not identified or recruited to the level required to get the signatures of top players in that era. JB was not "killing it"" on the recruiting trail. Then......of course, Hop left and our recruiting just continued the downward spiral. Except for the current and most recent years, we're not bringing in the talent level required to consistently compete in the upper level of the ACC.
I also will acknowledge, that JB may be hesitant to bend rules like in the past due to getting hit by the NCAA 2X. .

Lol at this 2018 take being posted on the day we just signed a top 25 recruit.
Only top 25 per Rivals, Not in top 50 per ESPN. Reasonably close though. But we must have the best coaches in history because EVERY single recruit we get is underrated.

Benny is a terrific player. We now have two top 50 prospects signed from 2019-2022. And yes I'm aware that there is still time left in 2022.
i'm not a fan of star ratings or rankings, but for those who are: remember that frank anselem was a late re-class. when he was still in the class of 2021 he was in the top 50 & ranked slightly ahead of micawber etienne

Only top 25 per Rivals, Not in top 50 per ESPN. Reasonably close though. But we must have the best coaches in history because EVERY single recruit we get is underrated.

Recruiting hit a rough patch after probation. Seems to be trending up though.

Don't necessarily need to have one and dones to be a successful college program, but it does help to have a mix of vets and talented 1 to 2 year players. I think sanctions, guys not panning out / recruiting misses, and early departures have caused the talent drop off in the past couple of years.

i'm not a fan of star ratings or rankings, but for those who are: remember that frank anselem was a late re-class. when he was still in the class of 2021 he was in the top 50 & ranked slightly ahead of micawber etienne
Yea I beat this drum hard when he committed to us. He had big time offers as well. Kid was a excellent get for us.

Yea I beat this drum hard when he committed to us. He had big time offers as well. Kid was a excellent get for us.
I think the kid is going to be very good. I'm sure Kadary and frank will be solid. We want the big fish the 5 star guy that duke and uk get like 3 of every year.

He's a good sized fish. Im talking bigger. Like Dior would have been.
Benny is huge. Look at Villanova. They win with really good players. I love recruiting and I would love to get top 5 guys every year. But, more often than not, teams loaded with those guys get tons of hype but bow out in the tournament while experienced teams go far.

Last edited:
Benny is huge. Look at Villanova. They win with really good players. I love recruiting and I would love to get top 5 guys every year. But, more often than not, teams loaded with those guys get tons of hype but now out in the tournament while experienced teams go far.
They have also been recruiting better than us. They might not get the top ten guy but they have like 8 or 9 guys like Benny.

Our Recruiting is what it is.
Our fanbase will spin whatever fits whatever narrative they want.

Our talent level has gone down. Hopefully we get it back up.
That relies on Richmond and Benny Williams becoming NBA draft talent.

I have no confidence we will be a NC favorite anytime in the near future.
But I appreciate Jim Boeheim for being an all time great and giving SU fans a good program.

Our recruiting is only as good as the coaches produce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom