ACC: 9 conference games: One vote away | Syracusefan.com

ACC: 9 conference games: One vote away

arbitragegls

All Conference
Morning all from sunny Florida. The whisper is that a 9 game conference schedule is just one vote from happening...and the reasons to go to the 9 game schedule are:
  • Needed content for ACC Network...that is moving forward
  • SOS that will be a primary factor in the college playoffs
  • The desire of AD's not to wait as many as 6-9 years to play a team in the conference-goal is that every freshman plays each conference team at least once in their four year career
The ACC and SEC are in final discussions about a scheduling between conferences that may take the place of the 9 game conference schedule and/or be added to it. Being told this is near decision. Additionally, ACC and SEC and ESPN have met informally recently on what their conferences' networks may do to raise interest for both networks (inlcuding use of games against opponents from each conference...it is going to be interesting as to what is announced this week during/ soon after meetings.

It appears from the "Stealth side" that the meetings this week are not only social but much more getting ready for ACC preparedness for coming events...may be more than one Jack & Coke/day kind of thing. As I tune into items of interest I will keep you updated--from my perspective--think this will be rock and roll!

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Good jack & coke days or bad jack & coke days?

One vote - meaning it is currently one vote short or there is only one vote needing to be taken?

Always appreciate your posts, Arb. One of my favorite things to log on here and see.

arb, any idea whether acc/espn will announce the times /networks for the first few weeks of the season soon?

ACC tweeted that we will stick with 8 games and require members to play at least 1 P5+ND game.

its staying at 8 games:

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken 15m
BREAKING: ACC remaining at 8 game schedule, but must play another power league game starting in 2017, per John Swofford

Jon Solomon‏@JonSolomonCBS 14m
As expected, ACC announces it's going the SEC scheduling route: play 8 ACC games + 1 vs. power 5 or Notre Dame.

its staying at 8 games:

Dan Wolken‏@DanWolken 15m
BREAKING: ACC remaining at 8 game schedule, but must play another power league game starting in 2017, per John Swofford
How can the league require teams to do something that is not entirely within their control to accomplish? If I were any other P5 league I would tell ACC teams, "Yeah, we'll schedule you so that you can meet your conference's requirement. You can play at our place, one and done. Take it or leave it."

How can the league require teams to do something that is not entirely within their control to accomplish? If I were any other P5 league I would tell ACC teams, "Yeah, we'll schedule you so that you can meet your conference's requirement. You can play at our place, one and done. Take it or leave it."
To arb's post look to see a scheduling agreement between the Sec and ACC.

All the major conferences are going to require that type of scheduling. One of the reasons the leftovers are up in arms is that it will be harder and harder to schedule the P5 teams.

sec is doing samething so probably some type of alliance

id still like to play teams from other division more frequently what I propose is this: 5 division games yearly instead of current 6, 1 permanent rival from other division and then rotate 2 other games thru the other division. You would skip 1 division opponent 1 out of 6 years

The other P5 teams have various reasons for going along w/home and home. We've signed H&H contracts w/BYU (2013-14, 19-20), Orygun(13 & 16), UCLA (14-15), Stanford (17-18), and Boise (15 & 17). Plus we played USC-w in 08 & 10. For those teams, we're an Eastern time zone game and Eastern audience that's not easy for them to get very often. Do Kansas or Wazzu have the pull to say an ACC team has to come to Lawrence or Pullman without a return date?

id still like to play teams from other division more frequently what I propose is this: 5 division games yearly instead of current 6, 1 permanent rival from other division and then rotate 2 other games thru the other division. You would skip 1 division opponent 1 out of 6 years

The most talked solution to get rid of divisions, play 3 permanent rivals each season, play 5 of the other 10 one year and the other 5 the next year works nicely. You don't have schools playing a different number of home and away games, every player who stays with an ACC program for 4 years is guaranteed to play at least once at every ACC venue and to play each ACC school at least once at their stadium.

A schedule like that would really be conducive for forming league rivalries and make the ACC feel more like a league than a loose confederation of schools. I hope the ACC goes in this direction.

The other P5 teams have various reasons for going along w/home and home. We've signed H&H contracts w/BYU (2013-14, 19-20), Orygun(13 & 16), UCLA (14-15), Stanford (17-18), and Boise (15 & 17). Plus we played USC-w in 08 & 10. For those teams, we're an Eastern time zone game and Eastern audience that's not easy for them to get very often. Do Kansas or Wazzu have the pull to say an ACC team has to come to Lawrence or Pullman without a return date?
It depends on what the ACC establishes to enforce this scheduling rule. What happens in the event of last-minute cancellations by a scheduled P5 OOC team? Would the ACC team get a waiver if they can't fill a slot on such short notice?

It's not about intrinsic "pull," it's about exceptional demand created by league rules. Effectively it would boost the "pull" of the OOC P5 teams.

NKR1978 said:
ACC tweeted that we will stick with 8 games and require members to play at least 1 P5+ND game.

That's been the rumored answer for awhile now.

Scooch said:
Before or after they were one vote away. ;)

Before

Jon Solomon‏@JonSolomonCBS 14m
As expected, ACC announces it's going the SEC scheduling route: play 8 ACC games + 1 vs. power 5 or Notre Dame.

Swofford was asked if BYU, Army, or Navy could count as a P5 game. Swofford said that those schools were not discussed. Just on Twitter from Brett McMurphy.

David Teel‏@DavidTeelatDP 1h
Only #ACC teams not playing a power conference opponent or ND this year are Wake and NC State.

I don't think it will be a problem.

David Teel‏@DavidTeelatDP 1h
Only #ACC teams not playing a power conference opponent or ND this year are Wake and NC State.

I don't think it will be a problem.
Shouldn't be a problem for us, in any event, which is all that really matters to me. But imagine Wake saying that they need a game ASAP - what is their realistic market among P5 teams to schedule a home-and-away?

Having an alliance with the SEC is a very shrewd move, because it helps with the scheduling requirement while keeping the games generally within the time zone and recruiting footprint of both leagues.