ACC changing conference schedule format? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC changing conference schedule format?

Overlooked SU game/upset. This one was such an insane game. Lots of fun.

Tyree holding 3 fingers up signifying it was his 3rd straight year blocking a punt against VT around the 5 minute mark was awesome.

THAT was a batsh't crazy game!!!! Holy cow.
Just insane.

Louisville and Tech are beatable any year. Jackson and Vick arent coming out of those tunnels
I’d prefer Wake, though I doubt they’d be thrilled to have both SU & BC on their annual schedule.

Private schools with equal chances of winning is a good matchup. SU fans also enjoy the easy tailgate opportunities there. I would go back.

Loserville and VPI would still be played half of the time.

Overall, 3-5-5 would definitely be an improvement for everyone. Seeing SU down the street every 4 years instead of 12 years would definitely be an improvement.

Go Orange(men)!

Going by all time games and giving everyone their #1 we could have:

Cuse: Pitt (76), BC (52), Miami (23), Louisville (18), VA Tech (18), NC State (13)
BC: Cuse (52), Pitt (32), Miami (30), VA Tech (29), Wake (27), FSU (18)
Clemson: Wake (86), NC State (85), GA Tech (84), UNC (56), Duke (54), UVA (49)
Duke: UNC (99), Wake (96), GA Tech (87), NC State (83), UVA (68), Clemson (54)
FSU: Miami (63), NC State (38), Wake (38), VA Tech (37), Clemson (33), GA Tech (25), Duke (20), UNC (20), UVA (19), Louisville (18)
GA Tech: Duke (87), Clemson (84), UNC (55), UVA (42), Wake (31), NC State (30), FSU (25)
Louisville: Cuse (18), FSU (18), Pitt (18), BC (12), Miami (12), NC State (9)
Miami: FSU (63), Pitt (40), VA Tech (37), BC (30), GA Tech (25), UNC (23)
UNC: UVA (114), Wake (102), NC State (100), Duke (99), Clemson (56), GA Tech (55)
NC State: Wake (113), UNC (100), Clemson (85), Duke (83), UVA (56), VA Tech (47)
Pitt: Cuse (76), Miami (40), BC (32), Duke (24), VA Tech (19), Louisville (18)
UVA: UNC (114), VA Tech (96), Duke (68), NC State (56), Clemson (49), Wake (49)
VA Tech: UVA (96), NC State (47), Wake (39), UNC (38), Miami (37), FSU (37)
Wake: NC State (113), UNC (102), Duke (96), Clemson (86), UVA (49), VA Tech (39)

Overlooked SU game/upset. This one was such an insane game. Lots of fun.

Tyree holding 3 fingers up signifying it was his 3rd straight year blocking a punt against VT around the 5 minute mark was awesome.

Just spent 30 minutes of my night watching that. Couldn't find the 29 year old version of myself on the field after.

I forgot how completely frustrating and exciting that game was at the same time. ESPN prime time game, I miss those.

Reyes and Rhodes were so fast.

It makes sense. The only drawback is we likely get stuck with Louisville every year.
Yeah, we’ll get BC and Pitt - both wins. Then we’ll get jammed with the weird kid.

I’d kill for Miami, Tech, or (pipe dream alert) UVA. What could have been... *dreams of UMD*

Going by all time games and giving everyone their #1 we could have:

Cuse: Pitt (76), BC (52), Miami (23), Louisville (18), VA Tech (18), NC State (13)
BC: Cuse (52), Pitt (32), Miami (30), VA Tech (29), Wake (27), FSU (18)
Clemson: Wake (86), NC State (85), GA Tech (84), UNC (56), Duke (54), UVA (49)
Duke: UNC (99), Wake (96), GA Tech (87), NC State (83), UVA (68), Clemson (54)
FSU: Miami (63), NC State (38), Wake (38), VA Tech (37), Clemson (33), GA Tech (25), Duke (20), UNC (20), UVA (19), Louisville (18)
GA Tech: Duke (87), Clemson (84), UNC (55), UVA (42), Wake (31), NC State (30), FSU (25)
Louisville: Cuse (18), FSU (18), Pitt (18), BC (12), Miami (12), NC State (9)
Miami: FSU (63), Pitt (40), VA Tech (37), BC (30), GA Tech (25), UNC (23)
UNC: UVA (114), Wake (102), NC State (100), Duke (99), Clemson (56), GA Tech (55)
NC State: Wake (113), UNC (100), Clemson (85), Duke (83), UVA (56), VA Tech (47)
Pitt: Cuse (76), Miami (40), BC (32), Duke (24), VA Tech (19), Louisville (18)
UVA: UNC (114), VA Tech (96), Duke (68), NC State (56), Clemson (49), Wake (49)
VA Tech: UVA (96), NC State (47), Wake (39), UNC (38), Miami (37), FSU (37)
Wake: NC State (113), UNC (102), Duke (96), Clemson (86), UVA (49), VA Tech (39)
I will be furious if BC gets that lineup and we get UL.

But I think it’s more likely that Pitt gets Miami and BC gets UL.

I will be furious if BC gets that lineup and we get UL.

But I think it’s more likely that Pitt gets Miami and BC gets UL.

I tired to keep the three games as against teams you have a history with. You could put BC with Wake (which neither have high games played), Pitt with Miami (fits for both), and Louisville with VA Tech (neither have much history).

In the end would it really matter a whole lot? BC has Pitt and we have Pitt. They would have Miami every year and Louisville every other year. We would have Louisville every year and Miami every other year. So it is a one game difference every 2 years. It is not like we would be playing Miami once every 6 years like we do now and get stuck with Louisville.

How great would it be if the one year Nd was forced to join a conference it cost them a playoff berth.
Yes, because those ND playoff years from 2014-2017 & 2019 were hella impressive. Said nobody, ever...

If I am losing Clemson, then I want at least Miami. We should get that because we have to get BC. While some may like BC as one of the annual rivals, to me thats just blah. BC is the equivalent of getting socks for Christmas. So since I am getting stuck with BC give me either Miami or Clemson. We will set a soft out of conference, give me as a season ticket holder a nice team coming in. I like the fact we beat Clemson and punch them in the face every time we play them.

If I am losing Clemson, then I want at least Miami. We should get that because we have to get BC. While some may like BC as one of the annual rivals, to me thats just blah. BC is the equivalent of getting socks for Christmas. So since I am getting stuck with BC give me either Miami or Clemson. We will set a soft out of conference, give me as a season ticket holder a nice team coming in. I like the fact we beat Clemson and punch them in the face every time we play them.
You aren’t losing Clemson that much at all.
You are getting Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech every 4 years in exchange for instead of getting Clemson every 2 years its every 4.

I would trade less NC State, Louisville/Wake in exchange for more coastal.

Wildly underrated and insanely exciting game...

Yeah, I’m not sure we’ve ever been involved in a wilder one. It felt like both teams had both won and lost the game about 5 different times. Then we just made 3 outstanding huge plays in a row, to finally win it.

VT games in 98, 00, 01, and 02 were all intense and exciting close games. I miss that rivalry greatly. We haven’t really had a good one since.

You aren’t losing Clemson that much at all.
You are getting Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech every 4 years in exchange for instead of getting Clemson every 2 years its every 4.

I would trade less NC State, Louisville/Wake in exchange for more coastal.

It is crazy. We see Miami, VA Tech, UVA, UNC, Duke, GA Tech in the Dome once every 12 years currently. Going to 3-5-5 we would see those teams once every 4 years in the Dome. In return we go from Clemson, FSU, NC State once every 2 years in the Dome to once every 4 years in the Dome.

Also with more variety it makes roads trips a lot more attractive. No one wants to go over and over again to NC State, Wake, Louisville.

I tired to keep the three games as against teams you have a history with. You could put BC with Wake (which neither have high games played), Pitt with Miami (fits for both), and Louisville with VA Tech (neither have much history).

In the end would it really matter a whole lot? BC has Pitt and we have Pitt. They would have Miami every year and Louisville every other year. We would have Louisville every year and Miami every other year. So it is a one game difference every 2 years. It is not like we would be playing Miami once every 6 years like we do now and get stuck with Louisville.
Would you rather play in south Florida or northern Kentucky?

Would you rather play a team where we have a shared history, or would you rather play a team we played in the GRob years? Would you rather play a team that was the Alabama of 1980-2002 or the team that played in the CUSA? Would you rather play a team attached to a well-respected university, or would you rather play Louisville? Would you rather play a private school, or would you rather play a public school? (The last point probably isn’t a big deal, but I feel more of a connection in games involving other private schools.)

So yeah, I’d MUCH rather take the extra 2 games every 4 years vs Miami.

But you’re right that we won’t get them, and we will get UL instead. My only quibble is that there’s only a remote chance that BC gets Miami over Pitt.

If the conference was smarter than it is, we’d get Tech instead of UL. We don’t have a true rivalry with Tech, but we’ve had some great games.

VT - BC - Pitt is also great from SU’s perspective, Pitt - SU - UL is also fairly good from BC’s perspective. Miami - SU - BC is good from Pitt’s perspective. UL - SU - UVA probably isn’t good from VT’s perspective, which will sink the arrangement. Also, BC - VT - ??? would be great from UL’s perspective, but I don’t see any schools wanting to be UL’s 3rd. I guess it would be Miami, which would put UL over the moon, but I’m not sure Miami would love FSU - Pitt - UL

Would you rather play in south Florida or northern Kentucky?

Would you rather play a team where we have a shared history, or would you rather play a team we played in the GRob years? Would you rather play a team that was the Alabama of 1980-2002 or the team that played in the CUSA? Would you rather play a team attached to a well-university, or would you rather play Louisville? Would you rather play a private school, or would you rather play a public school? (The last point probably isn’t a big deal, but I feel more of a connection in games involving other private schools.)

So yeah, I’d MUCH rather take the extra 2 games every 4 years vs Miami.

But you’re right that we won’t get them, and we will get UL instead. My only quibble is that there’s only a remote chance that BC gets Miami over Pitt.

If the conference was smarter than it is, we’d get Tech instead of UL. We don’t have a true rivalry with Tech, but we’ve had some great games.

VT - BC - Pitt is also great from SU’s perspective, Pitt - SU - UL is also fairly good from BC’s perspective. Miami - SU - BC is good from Pitt’s perspective. UL - SU - UVA probably isn’t good from VT’s perspective, which will sink the arrangement. Also, BC - VT - ??? would be great from UL’s perspective, but I don’t see any schools wanting to be UL’s 3rd. I guess it would be Miami, which would put UL over the moon, but I’m not sure Miami would love FSU - Pitt - UL

SU does not get first choice in the matter. Of course I would rather play Miami, but why would Miami want to play SU? Newsflash going to CNY for most of these schools is like our view of going to Louisville.

We have played Louisville nearly as many times as Miami in our history and more times than VA Tech (after this year's game). Why would VA Tech be good for the conference or VA Tech when we are way down the list of teams they have played historically?

I’ll take a swing:

SU: BC - Pitt - VT
BC: SU - Pitt - UL
Pitt: SU - BC - Miami

VT: UVA - GT - SU
UVA: VT - UNC - Duke
UL: Miami - BC - WF

UNC: Duke - UVA - NCSU
Duke: UNC - UVA - WF
WF: Duke - NCSU - UL
NCSU: UNC - WF - Clemson

GT: Clemson - VT - FSU
CU: FSU - GT - NCSU
FSU: Miami - Clemson - GT
Miami: FSU - Pitt - UL

SU does not get first choice in the matter. Of course I would rather play Miami, but why would Miami want to play SU? Newsflash going to CNY for most of these schools is like our view of going to Louisville.

We have played Louisville nearly as many times as Miami in our history and more times than VA Tech (after this year's game). Why would VA Tech be good for the conference or VA Tech when we are way down the list of teams they have played historically?
1. Nobody said SU had first choice. I said I’d be furious. Anyway, being first choice is irrelevant. It’s not like UL would get their pick, nor would BC, and I have a hard time imagining VT complaining about trading WF for anybody. Also, newsflash, I never said that I expected Miami to want to play SU over other options, but it’s not like they’re itching to play BC, which undercuts your position in a material way.
2. Because games against doesn’t equal history. Go back to 1990. Would you rather play Georgetown in basketball or PSU? We had (and probably still have) played PSU a lot more.

Last edited:
What I want: Pitt, BC, Miami

What ACC gives us: Pitt, BC, Wake

If that's how it goes, I'm ok with it as we've had some pretty good games against Wake going back to the Marrone days.

For selfish purposes of trying to maximize our W-L record I wouldn't shed a tear losing the annual Clemson game on the schedule.