ACC changing conference schedule format? | Syracusefan.com

ACC changing conference schedule format?

syrBossHogg

Living Legend

The good news is the league’s athletic directors, in concert with television partner ESPN, appear motivated to consider alternatives.

Indeed, sources say that before the COVID-19 pandemic struck in March, football scheduling was on the agenda for the ACC’s annual spring meetings in May. Once the health crisis abates, expect those deliberations to resume.

“I would be surprised,” a source said, “if it goes all the way back to the status quo.”

Athletic directors who oppose nine games cite lack of non-conference scheduling flexibility, especially with Notre Dame in that mix, and the every-other-year burden of playing more road than home games in the league. Proponents like the model because it retains divisions and doubles the frequency of non-crossover interdivision matchups to once every three years.

COVID-19 prompted the ACC this season to play 10 conferences games, scrap divisions and add traditional independent Notre Dame as a temporary 15th member. But a 10-game model beyond 2020 is unlikely, if only because the additional league contests would make attaining bowl eligibility more difficult.

Abandon divisions: The concept is simple. Assign each team three annual rivals and rotate the remaining 10 — five on and five off each season.

Playing one another, at minimum, once every two years is the closest you can get to the old round-robin days. Division advocates fear too many teams would be eliminated from title contention too early, similar to this season.

It makes sense. The only drawback is we likely get stuck with Louisville every year.

Pitt - BC - <Insert misc NC Mafia Team>
Maybe...

Notre Dame is a possibility too as the 3rd team however I think BC and Pitt would be automatics for Notre Dame. Would Notre Dame want Cuse or a closer game in Louisville?

I think we can pencil in BC and Pitt. The third team? Louisville, ND, Wake, Duke or Miami

Maybe...

Notre Dame is a possibility too as the 3rd team however I think BC and Pitt would be automatics for Notre Dame. Would Notre Dame want Cuse or a closer game in Louisville?

I think we can pencil in BC and Pitt. The third team? Louisville, ND, Wake, Duke or Miami

ND goes back to stepchild status.

3 plus 5 plus 5 (8 games a year) only accounts for a 14 team conference.

Yup...oh well...

How to do 15?

4+5/5

If ND joins I guess we go to a 9 game conference schedule

Yeah I would hate to lose Clemson. That's definitely a downside.
I am not a schedule to win 8 or 9 games guy, but playing Clemson every year ... you pencil in 9 losses for the next decade. I think we’d land with BC, Pitt and Louisville, as we should. And I’d be fine with that. More Miami, UVA, UNC, VT = solid trade off.

My updates 3+5+5 everyone has to sacrifice.

Boston College:
Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest
Clemson: Florida State, Georgia Tech, NC State
Duke: Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia
Florida State: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami
Georgia Tech: Clemson, Duke, Florida State
Louisville; Miami, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
Miami: Florida State, Louisville Virginia Tech,
NC State: Clemson, North Carolina, Wake
North Carolina: Duke, NC State, Virginia
Pittsburgh: Boston College, Louisville, Syracuse
Syracuse: Boston College, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest
Virginia: Duke, North Carolina, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech: Louisville, Miami, Virginia
Wake Forest: Boston College NC State, Syracuse

I want the Hokies.
Man I hope things are normal next year and somehow we get a night game at VT. Seems like an electric place to watch a college football game.

They’re probably the coastal team I wish we played more in general. I wouldn’t mind UNC, either. No one else over there does it for me

Man I hope things are normal next year and somehow we get a night game at VT. Seems like an electric place to watch a college football game.

They’re probably the coastal team I wish we played more in general. I wouldn’t mind UNC, either. No one else over there does it for me

I saw two road games at VT back in the Big East days. In 99 it was AWFUL and Cuse got beat 62-0. Then in ‘01 Cuse pulled the major upset in a game to this day I’m still not sure they won. They place is electric and then they play Enter Sandman it has to be a top 10 thing to see in person in college football. If you are coming from Syracuse and it’s fall the mountains outside Roanoke are beautiful. Fans are meh, not as hospitable as fans more south but we did have a pretty good rivalry with them back in the day.

How great would it be if the one year Nd was forced to join a conference it cost them a playoff berth.

We’ve always owned VT in the Dome, so we’d at least have a great shot 50% of the time.
I hear ya and would love to get the Hokies more often.
I just think for a program like us we could use as easy a schedule as we can get.
An annual game with Wake helps us with bowl eligibility and we would get the Hokies at the Dome every 4 years rather than every 14 teams.

Overlooked SU game/upset. This one was such an insane game. Lots of fun.

Tyree holding 3 fingers up signifying it was his 3rd straight year blocking a punt against VT around the 5 minute mark was awesome.

Wake may not be s e xy but it’s a good an annual game for us. We have a good shot to beat any year.

I want an annual opponents we can beat every year.
Louisville and Tech are beatable any year. Jackson and Vick arent coming out of those tunnels