ACC changing conference schedule format? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC changing conference schedule format?

It seems like Cuse, BC, Pitt, Lville is an obvious grouping and then the 4 NC schools. The other six basically is guaranteed Uva-VT, Miami-FSU, and Miami-VT. I think I did this right.

BC - Cuse, Pitt, Lville

Cuse - BC, Pitt, Lville

Lville - Pitt, Cuse, BC

Pitt - Lville, Cuse, BC

UNC - NC State, Duke, Wake

NC State - Duke, Wake, UNC

Duke - NC St, UNC, Wake

Wake - Duke, UNC, NC State

FSU - Miami, VT, GT

Miami - FSU, VT, Clemson

UVA - VT, Clemson, GT

Va Tech - Miami, FSU, UVA

Clemson - GT, Miami, Uva

GT - Clemson, UVA, FSU

And I believe we would have in 2018 if there were no divisions.

Yep, the league's missed out on some better championship matchups cause of the divisions

2013 should've been FSU/Clemson
2016 should've been Louisville/Clemson
2018 should've been Cuse/Clemson

What I want: Pitt, BC, Miami

What ACC gives us: Pitt, BC, Wake

If that's how it goes, I'm ok with it as we've had some pretty good games against Wake going back to the Marrone days.

For selfish purposes of trying to maximize our W-L record I wouldn't shed a tear losing the annual Clemson game on the schedule.
I’d actually be OK with Wake. They might legitimately see us as a secondary rival one day (after the NC schools of course), and they should be a regular win ... which we desperately need. UL is a disaster for us, as they’re a meaningless game that isn’t going to be easy (due to heavy cheating and no material academic requirements).

wake or virginia would be my guess as our 3rd annual
There’s no way we get UVA.

They’ll get VT and at least one of UNC or Duke - my guess both. Failing that, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t an intense mutual interest with the other 2 NC schools as well.

Really, the answer *was* UMD. BC-Pitt-UMD would have been great. Failing UMD, BC-Pitt-WVU would have also been great. But alas, the cousins are in the B12-2 and UL is in the ACC.

As a Wake fan and long time ACC fan I can tell you the NC teams are going to want to play each other every year

As a Wake fan and long time ACC fan I can tell you the NC teams are going to want to play each other every year
I get that but UNC and UVA is more important to both schools.
If the 3+5+5 gets adopted the NC schools will play a lot more frequently.

We SU fans want to play Miami more frequently we had a nice rivalry with them in the 1990s.
I think SU-Wake get matched up as a yearly game because each side needs a 3rd team for this to work and it’s a game that both sides feel they can win yearly.

I believe the point of the 3-5-5 is you play everyone in the conference every other year.

Maybe...

Notre Dame is a possibility too as the 3rd team however I think BC and Pitt would be automatics for Notre Dame. Would Notre Dame want Cuse or a closer game in Louisville?

I think we can pencil in BC and Pitt. The third team? Louisville, ND, Wake, Duke or Miami

Maybe if ND ever joins they would get Miami as the 3rd matchup?

Wake would be a better matchup for SU over Louisville. There's more SU alumni in NC and it's an easier opponent.

I get that but UNC and UVA is more important to both schools.
If the 3+5+5 gets adopted the NC schools will play a lot more frequently.

We SU fans want to play Miami more frequently we had a nice rivalry with them in the 1990s.
I think SU-Wake get matched up as a yearly game because each side needs a 3rd team for this to work and it’s a game that both sides feel they can win yearly.
The bolded is a big deal. If the NCAA (read B1G) get their heads out of the sand, this can be accomplished.

Wake would be a better matchup for SU over Louisville. There's more SU alumni in NC and it's an easier opponent.

I rather have Wake over Louisville for sure. But Wake rather have Southern schools or BC first.

I rather have Wake over Louisville for sure. But Wake rather have Southern schools or BC first.
Virginia Tech-Louisville is an old metro game and it would be good for an annual Thursday night game on ESPN.

It makes sense for those schools to play annually and then stick private schools Syracuse-Wake together.
SU and Wake don’t have any juice to make demands on football.

Of course, but as Alsacs said sacrifices have to be made for now. SU and Wake are in similar spots. Both schools get two yearly acceptable opponents and play each other as a 3rd so other matchups in the league can work.

Last edited:
Virginia Tech-Louisville is an old metro game and it would be good for an annual Thursday night game on ESPN.

It makes sense for those schools to play annually and then stick private schools Syracuse-Wake together.
SU and Wake don’t have any juice to make demands on football.

Louisville still needs three games. I agree they are a good fit for VA Tech, but they only have played each other 7 times. VA Tech has to play UVA and will want to play Miami. They have a history with BC and Pitt too.

Louisville still needs three games. I agree they are a good fit for VA Tech, but they only have played each other 7 times. VA Tech has to play UVA and will want to play Miami. They have a history with BC and Pitt too.
Louisville best 3 are Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Miami.
They won’t get Florida State because they have other needs.

So Pittsburgh or Syracuse are the next Logical picks.
Since somebody has to be matched up Pittsburgh-Louisville and Syracuse-Wake make the most sense.

It could go Pittsburgh -Louisville or Virginia Tech-Boston college as well.

I just think with how much juice each team has and who could make demands.

Of course, but as Alsacs said sacrifices have to be made for now. SU and Wake are in similar spots. Both schools get two yearly acceptable opponents and play each other as a 3rd so other matchups in the league can work.
FSU will get Clemson, Miami, and GT (ATL alumni)

Clemson will get GT, FSU, and probably NCSU (textile bowl)

GT will get Clemson, FSU, and VT (“Tech” rivalry)

Miami will get FSU and (I bet) Pitt.

UVA will get VT, UNC (“South’s Oldest Rivalry), and probably Duke

UNC will get Duke (Duke-UNC rivalry) and probably NCSU (in state and public) and UVA

Duke will get UNC, probably UVA, and probably WF (instate private school)

NCSU will probably get UNC (state schools), Clemson (textile bowl), and Wake (the do now + it’s the only other open instate slot)

Wake will get Duke and NCSU. UVA, GT, Clemson, and FSU will be locked. Miami and VT are the only remaining southern schools. After that, BC and SU each have an opening (my money being on SU having more leverage) and UL has openings (and no leverage).

VT - UVA & GT ... 1 opening
Miami - FSU & (I bet) Pitt ... 1 opening
UL - 3 openings
WF - Duke & NCSU ... 1 opening
BC - SU & Pitt ... 1 opening
SU - BC & Pitt ... 1 opening
Pitt - SU, BC, and (I bet) Miami ... 0 openings

I can see SU walking away with VT (best case - interesting history + leverage/weight in other sports, namely basketball + an IOU for screwing us in the first raid) or WF. I doubt we get Miami, but it would be great if we did. UL is worst case. We have no real history, there is no connection between the schools, it’s not an easy game, and exposure in Kentucky is worthless.

BC might get VT (or Miami to a lesser extent) because of a forced rivalry from leaving the BE at the same time. They might get Wake, but I doubt it if SU chooses between WF and UL. I have to imagine we have more weight than BC, and I doubt Wake cares too much either way.

UL and VT might go together as similar statutes in football + old Metro conference, but that leaves WF and Miami in the northeast, which I doubt happens. I imagine that Miami would prefer either VT or UL to SU and BC, and they carry weight - or at least they should in football.

Anyway you slice it, 3 of SU, BC, VT, WF, and Miami will play UL and the other 2 will play each other. So I guess the exercise is what’s the best game out of those 5 schools (given the other teams on the schedule + ND 5/14 years).

EDIT: At least one of BC/SU has to get UL because we already play each other. My guess is that Miami will take UL. Then the questions are whether VT has strong feelings, if not, what is the most compelling game of VT-SU, WF-SU, VT-BC, WF-BC, or VT-WF. If VT wants UL, then the question is which is better SU-WF or BC-WF. If VT doesn’t want UL, then the question is which is better VT-SU, VT-BC, or VT-WF. I argue VT-SU and WF-SU, with WF-SU being the most likely scenario. I think VT will want a real schedule to build a resume (now that Beamer is gone) and they’ll see UVA as a soft opponent that needs a counter, and UL will be perceived as better than SU, BC, or WF.

Last edited:
FSU will get Clemson, Miami, and GT (ATL alumni)

Clemson will get GT, FSU, and probably NCSU (textile bowl)

GT will get Clemson, FSU, and VT (“Tech” rivalry)

Miami will get FSU and (I bet) Pitt.

UVA will get VT, UNC (“South’s Oldest Rivalry), and probably Duke

UNC will get Duke (Duke-UNC rivalry) and probably NCSU (in state and public) and UVA

Duke will get UNC, probably UVA, and probably WF (instate private school)

NCSU will probably get UNC (state schools), Clemson (textile bowl), and Wake (the do now + it’s the only other open instate slot)

Wake will get Duke and NCSU. UVA, GT, Clemson, and FSU will be locked. Miami and VT are the only remaining southern schools. After that, BC and SU each have an opening (my money being on SU having more leverage) and UL has openings (and no leverage).

VT - UVA & GT ... 1 opening
Miami - FSU & (I bet) Pitt ... 1 opening
UL - 3 openings
WF - Duke & NCSU ... 1 opening
BC - SU & Pitt ... 1 opening
SU - BC & Pitt ... 1 opening
Pitt - SU, BC, and (I bet) Miami ... 0 openings

I can see SU walking away with VT (best case - interesting history + leverage/weight in other sports, namely basketball + an IOU for screwing us in the first raid) or WF. I doubt we get Miami, but it would be great if we did. UL is worst case. We have no real history, there is no connection between the schools, it’s not an easy game, and exposure in Kentucky is worthless.

BC might get VT (or Miami to a lesser extent) because of a forced rivalry from leaving the BE at the same time. They might get Wake, but I doubt it if SU chooses between WF and UL. I have to imagine we have more weight than BC, and I doubt Wake cares too much either way.

UL and VT might go together as similar statutes in football + old Metro conference, but that leaves WF and Miami in the northeast, which I doubt happens. I imagine that Miami would prefer either VT or UL to SU and BC, and they carry weight - or at least they should in football.
I learned from the Georgia Tech board
Duke-Georgia Tech is a rivalry that has to be played every year.
Both sides like the rivalry for some reason.
Georgia Tech would want Duke over Virginia Tech.

However great list and logic it’s well thought out.

Yeah, I’ve heard that too, but I think that’s like ND fans saying they’d never join a conference, or B1G fans talking about AAU/CIC membership and/or admitting partial members. I actually looked at both Wikipedia pages to see how real those words were, and neither school lists the other as a rival in football, so while that omission is an obvious oversight, I think it does speak to how much of a rivalry the game actually is. I’m inclined to think that money talks and VT-GT (which is listed) brings in more money than diehard fans want to admit. (Casual fans move the needle.)

But maybe you’re right, and hopefully it would open up more chances for SU to play Miami or VT if so.

Last edited:

If you assume Duke-GT, you get the following:

BC: SU - Pitt
SU: BC - Pitt
Pitt: SU - BC - Miami (probably)

UL:
VT: UVA
UVA: VT - UNC (South’s Oldest Rivalry)

UNC: UVA - Duke (rival) - NCSU (instate public)
Duke: UNC - GT (Duke-GT assumption) - WF (instate private)
NCSU: UNC - WF (instate + play now) - CU (Textile Bowl)
WF: Duke - NCSU

CU: NCSU - GT (rival) - FSU (rival)
GT: Duke - CU - FSU (FSU alumni base in ATL)
FSU: CU - GT - Miami (rival)
Miami: Pitt - FSU

I’m reasonably confident in the above, which leaves:

BC ... 1 open
SU ... 1 open
UL ... 3 open
VT ... 2 open
UVA ... 1 open
WF .. 1 open
Miami .. 1 open

*I assume UVA would want WF.
*I assume that VT will want UL over SU or BC, and VT will want Miami over SU or BC. Those assumptions necessitate a VT-UL game.

Now the situation is:
BC ... 1
SU ... 1
UL ... 2
VT ... 1
Miami ... 1

If Miami prefers VT over UL, then UL-SU and UL-BC has to happen. Otherwise, one of BC and SU gets UL and the other gets VT. BC-VT is an existing rivalry, but it’s a forced rivalry in name only. SU has played in the same conference as UL, but there’s no real shared history. SU and VT have some memorable games, so, while there’s no real rivalry, there is juice. The ACC also “owes” SU from the raid, esp. at BC/VT’s expense. I imagine VT would get to decide if they have strong feelings, but I doubt that they do. Then I imagine SU is next in line (bigger school than BC, more history, karma from the raid, and a basketball program that contributes to the conference). After SU, I imagine BC has pull and then UL will get what they’re given. I can’t imagine SU turning down VT for UL. So, my guess is SU-VT and BC-UL.

If the above is true, the decision that drives our fate is Miami wanting UL over VT. That decision dictates whether we’d come out looking great (VT) or stuck with the worst possible outcome (UL).