ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney

This is actually very interesting. All we've been hearing about is how MSG had an attendance clause and/or some other out of the BE contract. Now, from Thamel's article above:

The ACC has no chance to move to Madison Square Garden in the immediate future, as MSG has a deal signed with the Big East through 2026. Multiple sources described that contract as "air tight." A source with direct knowledge of the contract said that Joseph M. Leccese, the Big East's lawyer with prominent firm Proskauer Rose, spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that MSG couldn't get out of the deal with the Big East.

ALL contracts can be broken.

I'm sure the arena is top notch and modern and others have said the area is nice and it's a quick hop to Manhattan. Just won't have the juice that only MSG and Manhattan can provide. It's definitely the 2nd best option.

Its the 2nd best option, but its another half step to retaining the Garden (which will happen). And its a really good spot until we do re-take the Garden.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-barclays,0,2409175.post

In exchange for the A-10 exiting Barclays a year earlier, the ACC has offered to play a series of regular-season doubleheaders against the A-10 in the facility. Neutral-site games against ACC teams would be a coup for the A-10, elevating its visibility and, in theory, its teams computer rankings, a critical component of the NCAA tournament selection process.

If I am the ACC I would give the A-10 these neutral site games as it wouldn't be that for the conference as the A-10 has some decent teams.

Last edited:
Syracuse would probably play St. Bonaventure in First Niagara Center or Fordham at MSG.

If I am the ACC I would give the A-10 these neutral site games as it wouldn't be that for the conference as the A-10 has some decent teams.

The doubleheaders would be at Barclays.

Totally disagree. I'd rather win the BE tourney than advance to the Sweet 16. No one remembers that. Many teams have won conference tourneys and NCAA titles in the same year. Still waiting for SU to do that.

That really shows superiority. Not a team that gets a good draw and plays in favorable locales.

Agreed. So many of our fans (and fans in general) put all of their eggs in the NCAA tourney basket and thus fail to "enjoy the ride" of the season. Obviously goal #1 during a season for a program like ours is to win a title (or at least go to a Final Four).

But I truly don't understand those who poo-poo big time events like the conference tourney. Big time programs win lots of trophies, whether it be the ACC Tourney, or the Maui Classic, or a regular season conference title. I want to win them all. Thats what big boy programs do.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-barclays,0,2409175.post

In exchange for the A-10 exiting Barclays a year earlier, the ACC has offered to play a series of regular-season doubleheaders against the A-10 in the facility. Neutral-site games against ACC teams would be a coup for the A-10, elevating its visibility and, in theory, its teams computer rankings, a critical component of the NCAA tournament selection process.

Good for the A-10... Gotta take advantage when you have the cards.

The doubleheaders would be at Barclays.
Yeah I re-read it and saw that.

I would be okay with Syracuse playing one of St.Louis, VCU, UMass, St. Joe's, Dayton, Rhode Island at Barclay's if it helps the conference get its conference tournament at Barclay's. If the A-10 has the contract you have to give them something to get them to repudiate it. Thus, I see nothing wrong with playing 1 game their against an A-10 team.

Its the 2nd best option, but its another half step to retaining the Garden (which will happen). And its a really good spot until we do re-take the Garden.

So you're on the side that says contracts can be broken. I am too. If the ACC has to wait 13 years...that is just so far out to think about. The whole landscape could be different.

I also don't think MSG will ever be the permanent home but in a rotation. Not sure the ACC blue bloods would ever allow for a permanent move. Could MSG work out hosting both tourneys some years?

Would guess we would absolutely be placed in those games, and I feel pretty good about that.

Could MSG work out hosting both tourneys some years?

IMO, no. You'd have to kick the Knicks and Rangers out for a week. Then two weeks later you have to kick them out again for three or so days for the NIT. And forget about ever having the NCAA East Regional at MSG again, in this scenario.

Big East could do their tournament when the ACC had its rotation at MSG the Thursday thru Sunday when all the major conferences are finishing up their regular seasons like the Missouri Valley Conference just did this past weekend.. Then the Knicks/Rangers could each squeeze a home game in Monday/Tuesday then Wednesday the ACC could start its tournament at MSG thru Sunday.

I just went over to the HoyaTalk board to watch their discussion over what seed they think they will get in the NIT. One thread talked about the ACCT/Barclays. One poster mentioned that, according to Thamel, DC is now out of the picture for the ACCT with Maryland not in the conference. Is this accurate?

So you're on the side that says contracts can be broken. I am too. If the ACC has to wait 13 years...that is just so far out to think about. The whole landscape could be different.

I also don't think MSG will ever be the permanent home but in a rotation. Not sure the ACC blue bloods would ever allow for a permanent move. Could MSG work out hosting both tourneys some years?

Yes most definitely am in that camp. I think the ACC is simply forcing MSGs hand to push up the time frame of when they can get out of the contract. If MSG sees full houses at the Barclays Center while they're playing a BET at less then capacity, they'll figure out a way to get out of it. I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure something can we worked out.

I differ with you on your 2nd point. MSG is the big prize when it comes to conference tournaments. Once you make it there, there's no going back to Greensboro. Won't happen. Especially with the B1G sniffing around looking to take away as many NYC eyeballs as they can. Can you imagine a scenario where the ACC goes back to freakin' Greensboro and the B1G swoops back in and steals the Garden? Swofford isn't a dumb man.

I just went over to the HoyaTalk board to watch their discussion over what seed they think they will get in the NIT. One thread talked about the ACCT/Barclays. One poster mentioned that, according to Thamel, DC is now out of the picture for the ACCT with Maryland not in the conference. Is this accurate?
Lol, no 2016 is when the ACC was going to Verizon Center for the ACC Tournament. D.C. is going to stay in the rotation as a middle ground spot for the Northern/Southern/NC Mafia groups.

From Thamel's piece:

The ACC's move to New York has been viewed within the conference as inevitable, as it's expected that the league will rotate through New York and North Carolina locations after 2017. (Maryland's departure to the Big Ten makes Washington D.C. a less natural place to hold the tournament.)

Yes most definitely am in that camp. I think the ACC is simply forcing MSGs hand to push up the time frame of when they can get out of the contract. If MSG sees full houses at the Barclays Center while they're playing a BET at less then capacity, they'll figure out a way to get out of it. I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure something can we worked out.

I differ with you on your 2nd point. MSG is the big prize when it comes to conference tournaments. Once you make it there, there's no going back to Greensboro. Won't happen. Especially with the B1G sniffing around looking to take away as many NYC eyeballs as they can. Can you imagine a scenario where the ACC goes back to freakin' Greensboro and the B1G swoops back in and steals the Garden? Swofford isn't a dumb man.

Blame MSG then for signing the deal with the BE thru 2026 then. The Big East had the top sports law firm in the history of the United States write the contract on their behalf. I don't think the repudiate clause would be easy for MSG to execute or want to pay. They are better off telling the Big East to move their dates up and allow the B1G/ACC to have MSG as part of their rotations as well.

If the Big East Tournament is going to stay at MSG then the MSG people should say fine, but move it up a weekend so we can accommodate ourselves and keep you happy having the event at MSG.

Last edited:
From Thamel's piece:

The ACC's move to New York has been viewed within the conference as inevitable, as it's expected that the league will rotate through New York and North Carolina locations after 2017. (Maryland's departure to the Big Ten makes Washington D.C. a less natural place to hold the tournament.)
Thanks Frozen. I didn't read the article. Looks like while DC is less likely it is not a definite "no" going forward.

Brooklyn is fine. I really think they should alternate between Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Brooklyn and or Boston.

With Louisville replacing Maryland, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh actually make a lot more sense than DC.

With Louisville replacing Maryland, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh actually make a lot more sense than DC.
Disagree Northern Virginia, Bethesda, MD, Washington D.C. areas have lots of transplant from ACC schools, and the arena would sell out more easily with Syracuse, North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, Notre Dame, Pitt, Miami(fl), Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and other ACC school alumni in Washington than in Indy or Pitt.

Indy will always be B1G country, and while Pittsburgh is probably somewhat ACC country now with the Panthers in the conference Washington D.C. is the better midpoint spot plus it tweaks Maryland and that is a great cherry on top.

The move to NYC for ACCT is taking the best of the ACC and the best of the old BE and combining them perfectly. The beauty of the ACC is the home courts during the regular season and the beauty of the BE was the tournament in NYC. You're taking the best of both conferences and making into one perfect conference IMO.
There is one thing that someone must do. We have to stake out a local establishment next to the Barclays arena and claim it as ours ( a la Blarney). Bring a banner in and donate it to the cause. The Blarney Rock was a big part of the BET experience. Just have to find a new one in Brooklyn. Are their even bars around there?

"Where Brooklyn at? Where Brooklyn at? Where Brooklyn at? Where Brooklyn at?" - The ACC

[quotif he tweaks="IthacaBarrel, post: 983385, member: 363"]3 years out of 20... Like I said, it isn't what it use to be and again, we were on the bubble in 2006 for sure. All the reason to play. And yes I am dead serious, there is a lot of good that can come from losing to NC St tonight, IMO. It's clear that without Grant we aren't going anywhere, what if he tweaks his back tomorrow night? Like I said, it's a Popovich type of outlook and last I checked he knew a thing or two about winning and coaching.[/quote]
what if he tweaks it in the 1ST round of NCAA against some 15 seed. Didn't need him them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom