ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney

rrlbees said:
If that is true, which IMO all contracts are made to be broken, the ACCT won't be in MSG for at least 13 years. Ugh. Where are the people who said we were working towards a deal with MSG? Brooklyn is better than Greensboro but it's not close to MSG.

You wonder why MSG would agree on something like that.

Barclays will be sold out in three years and MSG will be half empty.

Dumb.

IthacaBarrel said:
Brooklyn is fine. I really think they should alternate between Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Brooklyn and or Boston. The Big east tournament hasn't been great in 15-20 years. I don't see the draw to even playing starters in the tournament unless you are on the bubble. Some coach soon is going to go Popovich in the conference tournament. Bob Knight was the only guy left with that type of sack and that is done. JB should play all the walk ons tonight, would suck for fans but as soon as they get into game 3 this weekend we will only hear about possible fatigue next week...
The BE tourney hasn't been great in 15-20 years? Wow. Ok.

The BE tourney hasn't Benny great in 15-20 years?

Wow. Ok.

It's meaningless unless you are trying to play your way in the NCAA. It just is.

Injuries can derail a shot at the bigger picture as well.

What does tonight's game do for Syracuse at this point?

They should change the 4, 5, 6 "green line" to the "Orange line" for the week. Sorry, B, D, F, M.
That's not going to happen. Not the week of St. Patrick's Day. There would be riots in the streets.

To be fair Bees, have you even been to the Barclays Center? Its really, really nice. And about an 8 minute ride on the 2/3 from lower Manhattan. Its not the Garden, but what is?

Simply another move by the ACC to kill off the BET further attendance wise. Where do you think the focal point of NYC media will be when its a Duke-Syracuse semi vs a Xavier-Creighton semi?

I'm sure the arena is top notch and modern and others have said the area is nice and it's a quick hop to Manhattan. Just won't have the juice that only MSG and Manhattan can provide. It's definitely the 2nd best option.

It's meaningless unless you are trying to play your way in the NCAA. It just is.

Injuries can derail a shot at the bigger picture as well.

What does tonight's game do for Syracuse at this point?

It definitely isn't meaningless to the players who are out there giving it their all every single night. So who is it meaningless to?

IthacaBarrel said:
It's meaningless unless you are trying to play your way in the NCAA. It just is. Injuries can derail a shot at the bigger picture as well.
Totally disagree. I'd rather win the BE tourney than advance to the Sweet 16. No one remembers that. Many teams have won conference tourneys and NCAA titles in the same year. Still waiting for SU to do that.

That really shows superiority. Not a team that gets a good draw and plays in favorable locales.

It definitely isn't meaningless to the players who are out there giving it their all every single night. So who is it meaningless to?

I guess. Players like to play and they play to win. I doubt many of the coaches who are already in the tournament really give a F if they really gave you an honest opinion. They want to stay healthy for the final four run. Programs like Syracuse will be judged by the NCAA tournament not the conference nonsense.

Again, Bob Knight is the only coach who had the balls to say what most coaches were thinking.

Totally disagree.

I'd rather win the BE tourney than advance to the Sweet 16. No one remembers that.

Many teams have won conference tourneys and NCAA titles in the same year. Still waiting for SU to do that.

WOW. I would rather stay healthy with a team that has a shot to win it all but when would that ever happen? Nevermind

cuseguy said:
Totally disagree.

I'd rather win the BE tourney than advance to the Sweet 16. No one remembers that.

Many teams have won conference tourneys and NCAA titles in the same year. Still waiting for SU to do that.

And no team has won the NCAA tournament without winning at least one game in their conference tournament.

The BET last year did so much for us for the NCAA. 6OT is legendary. I bet more people remember that game than remember that UNC embarrassed MSU in the title game. The idea that any good could happen from could come from losing tonight is just silly.

We've talked about this for a long time now. There's no way the good old boys are going to move their beloved ACC tourney full time to a Yankee state! Mark Packard was saying the other day how the ACC tourney in NC is and was a religion growing up(similar to the Big East tourney at MSG for us). It might come to Brooklyn every 3-5 years if we are lucky but there is to much tradition and old timers that have pull to allow for anything but every few years.

IthacaBarrel said:
WOW. I would rather stay healthy with a team that has a shot to win it all but when would that ever happen? Nevermind

The theory of being well rested for the NCAA tourney has been disproved a number of times.

UConn played 5 straight days in the BE tourney and then won 6 in a row to win the NC.

The theory of being well rested for the NCAA tourney has been disproved a number of times.

UConn played 5 straight days in the BE tourney and then won 6 in a row to win the NC.

What about the theory of losing a key starter in a conference tournament? How well has that theory held up?

Looks like the "new arena smell" has gotten the attention of the ACC. My guess is MSG is working extremely hard to find a way to get the ACC in it's arena. Sure, the BIG is in play but really, which semis look better, Michigan, OSU, MState and Wisky vs UNC, Cuse, Ville and Duke. That my ACC brothers is a NCAA wet dream and it can be played out the majority of the time in conference. Now, through in an improved UVa, State, FSU, ND, Pitt, GaTech or Wake. Any of those teams along with 3 of the big guns would trump every conference tourney semis.

I wonder if there are talks to include MSG as part of a rotation of MSG, Barkleys and GSO

Shermthegeneral said:
We've talked about this for a long time now. There's no way the good old boys are going to move their beloved ACC tourney full time to a Yankee state! Mark Packard was saying the other day how the ACC tourney in NC is and was a religion growing up(similar to the Big East tourney at MSG for us). It might come to Brooklyn every 3-5 years if we are lucky but there is to much tradition and old timers that have pull to allow for anything but every few years.

The way things have changed, SU may be in another conference in 13 years.

What about the theory of losing a key starter in a conference tournament? How well has that theory held up?
And how many times has that really happened? In reality, not very many.

I'm sure the arena is top notch and modern and others have said the area is nice and it's a quick hop to Manhattan. Just won't have the juice that only MSG and Manhattan can provide. It's definitely the 2nd best option.
greensboro should just be dropped altogether.

NYC, DC, charlotte, atlanta. there is really no need to go to west/central whatever bumble in the carolinas for this.

this thing would be better off in whatever theyre calling brendan byrne arena than there.

if its truely an 'event worth attending' then you need to have multiple, multiple...MULPTIPLE options, to go eat and drink. there needs to be a reason for one to stay if their team is out.

greensboro is as useless as the storz athletic dept.

The lawyer who negotiated and drafted the deal for the BE is touting how great a lawyer he is in a national publication. Perhaps he's right, but maybe MSG would still honor the contract by playing the BET the week before and ending on a Monday then having the ACC come in the next day.
Not for anything, but if the Big East used Proskauer Rose they used what is probably the top law firm in the country and that contract is probably ironclad. David Stern was a partner at Proskauer Rose before taking over at the NBA. Taking Sports Law its the top sports law firm of all time. I haven't heard of the Leccese cat though he probably paid/gave some info to have him name dropped.

Brooklyn has become hipster central and while Barclays looks like a nice arena its a good sign that the ACC is taking proactive steps.

As I have been saying rotate it the ACC tournament in MSG/Barclays, Washington D.C., Greensboro and if the Southern schools want Atlanta then you have those 4 cities.

1 Northern spot NYC, 1 middle ground spot Washington, 1 NC Mafia spot, and 1 big time Southern city spot. Each 4 year player would play in each region of the Atlantic coast.

Not for anything, but if the Big East used Proskauer Rose they used what is probably the top law firm in the country and that contract is probably ironclad. David Stern was a partner at Proskauer Rose before taking over at the NBA. Taking Sports Law its the top sports law firm of all time. I haven't heard of the Leccese cat though he probably paid/gave some info to have him name dropped.

There are a lot of great law firms. I'm sure MSG/Cablevision have talented lawyers as well.

To quote Lee Corso "Not so fast my friend"
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 15m
Source: A-10 won't change Barclays dates for ACC in 2017 without a deal: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10606349/a-10-change-barclays-dates-2017-acc… via @espncbb

Biggest nugget from that article
A source with connections to MSG told ESPN during the season that the arena would love to have the Big East and the ACC in the same week but that would mean having the Big East move earlier in the week, a move that is unlikely to occur.

If I'm MSG I tell the Big East move your damn tournament up a weekend or in the future we will wish you the best in your future endeavors.

There are a lot of great law firms. I'm sure MSG/Cablevision have talented lawyers as well.
With James Dolan running things I wouldn't believe he does anything right. His father? sure, his brother? sure. However, I don't trust Jimmy to run a lemonade stand correctly. Also, trust me if the Big East used Proskauer Rose they won the contract negotiation. They are the top sports law firm in the history of this country.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-barclays,0,2409175.post

In exchange for the A-10 exiting Barclays a year earlier, the ACC has offered to play a series of regular-season doubleheaders against the A-10 in the facility. Neutral-site games against ACC teams would be a coup for the A-10, elevating its visibility and, in theory, its teams computer rankings, a critical component of the NCAA tournament selection process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom