ACC coming to NYC? | Syracusefan.com

ACC coming to NYC?

Chris02M

Football Schedule Maven
CHAPEL HILL – Sources close to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn say the two parties have agreed to stage a future ACC Basketball Tournament at the brand new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The ACC will vote on holding the tournament in New York Tuesday, but the sources say that the agreement has been made and the vote is a mere formality. Due to the addition of former Big East schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the ACC is anxious to play a tournament in the northeast.

The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten, which has added Maryland and Rutgers to its conference membership. Both conferences may hold later tournaments in Brooklyn, but the ACC will come first.

The exact year the ACC Tournament will be played in Brooklyn has not been determined, but it will be at the Barclays Center and not Madison Square Garden. The 2014 and 2015 ACC Tournaments will be played in Greensboro. The 2016 Atlantic Coast Conference Basketball Tournament will be held at Washington, D.C.’s Verizon Center, the ACC announced November 14.

The 2017-21 tournament sites have not been determined, but one of those years it will be New York and the Barclays Center.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo.....-new-york/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13873331103906

Who has been to Barclays and what are your impressions?

rrlbees said:
Eh, MSG would have been 100x better. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Glad they're making an effort to get back to New York, but it will never compare to the BE tourney at the Garden.

Barclays is a great place.
Ended up being built specifically for basketball (and not hockey.. despite the Islanders' looming move there) -- so everything is really tight to the court. Not many of the 'risers' seats behind the baskets like you see at the Garden.
Food and beer options are plentiful.
Extremely easy to get to via 11 subway lines and the Long Island Rail Road.
And tons of pre/postgame places nearby.
By 2017 or whatever... Barclays will have hosted enough premier college basketball games, it's sure to have a little bit more of the cache factor.

That being said... despite living in NYC... I think Washington, DC would make a perfect permanent home for the ACC Tourney.
Central location.
Not anyone's home court.
Accessible metropolitan city with plenty of hotels and restaurants.
Not as expensive as NYC.
Slightly less chance of a mid-March blizzard.

I would have loved MSG, but who really knows how it went down? First, you don't want the BiG in NYC before you. With the NNNBE in MSG for the foreseeable future, that is atleast occupied for the time being. Maybe MSG did play hardball? Maybe they told the ACC that they would be honoring the BE contract and that was that? Regardless, being in Brooklyn is better than being someplace else and watching Rutty and their new pals playing in the city.

My guess is that this is just the tip of the iceberg with the ACC in NYC.

Also, other than drumming up interest in the TV package, I don't see the BiG in NYC being a great thing for the Midwestern fan base. Yeah, I know they have alums all over the east, but Chicago is better for the entire conference. It would be like the ACC looking to go to Chicago just to get exposure (and using ND as an excuse to go there). Sure, they probably have a ton of alums around, but who really cares? It would get old fast. It wouldn't have the same feel of playing the games back east.

The BiG tournament may come to NYC at some point, but I don't see it ever being there permanently. I don't even see it being there two years in a row.

Go head to head with the Big East. Significantly Outdrawing the BE on Thursday, Friday and Saturday will demonstrate to MSG that they hitched themselves to the JV squad.

A great executive who really knows his hoops.
Dolan.jpg

One other interesting thing about the ACC at Barclays and Big East at MSG could be the weekend game-watching schedule for the diehard (and well-heeled) fan... (if said schedule stays put.. which we all know it probably won't)

Friday day: ACC quarters
Friday night: ACC quarters or Big East semis
Saturday day: ACC semis
Saturday night: Big East Finals
Sunday day: ACC Finals
Sunday night: Selection Sunday

That's one hell of a NYC basketball weekend.
I did a good chunk of that last year for our games in the Big East and two sessions of the A10... and it was fantastically awesome.

Barclays is awesome world class venue-- sure MSG would be great but Barclays is awesome and a short subway ride from manhattan-- anyone who complains is nuts-- hopefully this is just start of permanent move to NYC

Does look pretty tight to the court.
BarclaysCenter_RenderBK-Nets-circle-Logo.jpg

Barclays is a great place.
Ended up being built specifically for basketball (and not hockey.. despite the Islanders' looming move there) -- so everything is really tight to the court. Not many of the 'risers' seats behind the baskets like you see at the Garden.
Food and beer options are plentiful.
Extremely easy to get to via 11 subway lines and the Long Island Rail Road.
And tons of pre/postgame places nearby.
By 2017 or whatever... Barclays will have hosted enough premier college basketball games, it's sure to have a little bit more of the cache factor.

That being said... despite living in NYC... I think Washington, DC would make a perfect permanent home for the ACC Tourney.
Central location.
Not anyone's home court.
Accessible metropolitan city with plenty of hotels and restaurants.
Not as expensive as NYC.
Slightly less chance of a mid-March blizzard.

It's not the same experience as MSG and Manhattan, not even close. Plus it's more difficult to get to from the burbs. But better than nothing. And if it blocks the B1G well at least that's a good thing.

The place was almost completely empty for their preseason tournament this year. It looked absolutely awful on TV.

Bayside44 said:
Duke, UNC, UL, SU can hold their own against any old BE combo.

Maybe but the venue was a large part of what made the BET. Brooklyn is, well Brooklyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom