ACC: Deja Vu all over again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC: Deja Vu all over again

It is weird to me that the conference that has the most population density is the one that Maryland is leaving.

Why does Maryland leaving opening the vault? If FSU and Clemson wanted the B12 they would already be gone. The only place Clemsona and FSU are leaving to is the SEC and so far they have no more interest in adding teams.
Same reason MD bolted, for more money. This signals the ACC is quite vulnerable.
What's to stop the B1G or SEC from exploring VA, VT, or even GT?
And who's to say that they wouldn't be interested at this point?
ND...AGAIN, remains the key for the ACC just like they were for the old BE.
If they don't go all in now, then others in the ACC might start seeing the dollar signs and security of the B1G, SEC, or the Big 12.
The ACC will be picked apart like the BE, that's the fear.

If its just MD that bolts, I would agree. But if another domino falls, its over. And that ESPN money wont be the same.

I talked with a Notre Dame connection today. He fully expects ND to be in a conference sooner rather than later. He gives the edge to Big10 over ACC.

If PSU joins the ACC as a result of this then the ACC has improves dramatically. If it is UConn the ACC has still improved, just not so much in football.

Penn St is not coming. Non-starter.

If its just MD that bolts, I would agree. But if another domino falls, its over. And that ESPN money wont be the same.

I talked with a Notre Dame connection today. He fully expects ND to be in a conference sooner rather than later. He gives the edge to Big10 over ACC.

I agree. If noone else leaves then all is ok. I would be shocked if ND doesnt jump all in someplace in the very near future.

I think there was a slight possibility PSU could have joined the ACC. But no way is anyone going to approve a move to a conference that just got raided for a member.

If ND wanted to join the B10 they would have already done it.

This is about Virginia and North Carolina, not Clemson and FSU. The only worry with FSU and Clemson is the B12, which would in turn get raided eventually anyway.

To quote Alonzo from Training Day "This s***'s chess, it ain't checkers!"
IMHO there is ZERO chance of Chapel Hill leaving the ACC.

Why do people assume the BigXII is stable? The Pac12 will have to expand if we evolve into superconferences and much like people on the side of the county are raiding the Big East, where do you think the Pac12 is going to raid?

Penn St is not coming. Non-starter.

I guarantee there is a chance, albeit slim. PSU has NEVER had consensus on being in the B1G. Even with Maryland and RU there will be folks on the inside and outside with power that want to be part of an eastern seaboard conference.

I guarantee you this.

There's a nuclear scenario here, and I'm sure (I surely hope) Swofford is working to avoid it. It involves FSU. They are certainly looking at their options. Question is, do they have any? If expansion is truly driven now by regional conference networks and their entry into new states, where does FSU go? Big 12, who has a regional network that has a certain team's name attached to it? SEC who has no further use for the state for which FSU resides? (or the state where Clemson resides). Pac-12 or B1G which are even longer shots?

I know little to nothing of this here TV industry, but it seems if the long suppressed a la carte concept ever became a reality, it would blow this up right? How many of the 15M households that the Big 10 is securing today and tomorrow would choose that network from a menu? The midwesterners would more likely buy in, but the northeasterners? Don't see it on their priority list.

I still think we're fine, but as an SU fan, how can you not worry? The deja vu I feel is that I'm in a league that needs ND to go from partial member to full member to solve all problems. At least they're closer and it's slightly more realistic this time.

Why do people assume the BigXII is stable? The Pac12 will have to expand if we evolve into superconferences and much like people on the side of the county are raiding the Big East, where do you think the Pac12 is going to raid?

The Pac12 isn't inviting Fresno and UNLV.

They want Texas & Co. That would kill the BigXII.

Which is good for us.

One thing I hated about the BE was the fact that we always sat around and waited for ND to make decisions. I will always be thankful that we got out of there. Being in the ACC we don't have to give 2 sh!ts about what ND does or doesn't do.
Here we go again!

I guarantee there is a chance, albeit slim. PSU has NEVER had consensus on being in the B1G. Even with Maryland and RU there will be folks on the inside and outside with power that want to be part of an eastern seaboard conference.

I guarantee you this.
Slim, I believe, is an exaggeration. They would be giving up money in a time when they have HUGE bills to pay, and they just received 2 opponents on the Eastern seaboard. Is there any chance? Sure (cue the Dumb and Dumber gif). I just think it's infinitesimal.

If ND wanted to join the B10 they would have already done it.
Again, what if they had no choice? What if the ACC became a watered-down conference with valuable programs poached from every direction, a la the old BE?
ND ran to the ACC for more stability, money they already have. There is NO incentive for them to join the ACC, so they figure to stay pat. But, if Delaney calculated that busting the ACC would FORCE ND to go B1G, then thats what we're seeing.

You are dealing with What If's. What if the ACC adds Texas and ND and Penn State and Oklahoma then what?

If ND ran to the ACC for more stability then why didn't they run to the BIG10 who would offer more stability and more money?

You are dealing with What If's. What if the ACC adds Texas and ND and Penn State and Oklahoma then what?

If ND ran to the ACC for more stability then why didn't they run to the BIG10 who would offer more stability and more money?
Because the ACC agreed to partial, not full membership- and they get to keep their contract with NBC.
Not to mention other like-minded institutions, older rivalries, etc.
I'm not saying that the B1G is the better choice for ND, but the B1G has always only wanted ND.
The ACC jumped in and took their prize, and Delaney is now apparently playing hardball.

Again, what if they had no choice? What if the ACC became a watered-down conference with valuable programs poached from every direction, a la the old BE?
ND ran to the ACC for more stability, money they already have. There is NO incentive for them to join the ACC, so they figure to stay pat. But, if Delaney calculated that busting the ACC would FORCE ND to go B1G, then thats what we're seeing.

Delaney was content to let ND sit but once they made a commitment he went after the east coast after having the midwest be invaded by the ACC. Now, if this is his biggest move the ACC is fine but if there is a stronger counter punch like FSU to the SEC then there will be some issues staying afloat.

Playing Hardball by taking Maryland?
Yes- as the first domino.
Again, forget the name for a second: a charter member of the ACC just bolted for bigger bucks.
Now, if I'm FSU I'm considering my next move and you'd be kidding yourself if you think others haven't reached out to the B1G.
There are many valuable chips in the ACC, & keeping them together is all important right now.
The B1G is the richest conference and pisses money from the BTN. A week ago an ACC team bolting the league seemed far-fetched, yet here we are today.

What could be possible is that the ACC was talking to PSU and this was made to appease PSU. Again, I hope this is it and no more damage is going to be done but let's face it...the Big 10/PAC 12 and SEC are making tons of money and printing it faster than the Fed.

Yes- as the first domino.
Again, forget the name for a second: a charter member of the ACC just bolted for bigger bucks.
Now, if I'm FSU I'm considering my next move and you'd be kidding yourself if you think others haven't reached out to the B1G.
There are many valuable chips in the ACC, & keeping them together is all important right now.
The B1G is the richest conference and pisses money from the BTN. A week ago an ACC team bolting the league seemed far-fetched, yet here we are today.

Ugh. FSU's only option is the B12. The decided to stay in the ACC. How does MD exactly change anything? It doesn't. :bang:

Playing Hardball by taking Maryland?

The problem isnt Maryland or Rutgers to the B10 thats is pretty much irrelevant as both athletic programs are in the toilet. The problem is if FSU or Clemson or Va Tech start getting jumpy and make a move then you have real big time problems.

The problem isnt Maryland or Rutgers to the B10 thats is pretty much irrelevant as both athletic programs are in the toilet. The problem is if FSU or Clemson or Va Tech start getting jumpy and make a move then you have real big time problems.

Those are concerns with or without Maryland leaving. Maryland just doesn't change anything and doesn't deserve the panic this is causing. If FSU and VT are going to go to the SEC then they are going to go regardless. If UVA or GT is going to go to the B10 they are going regardless of what Maryland did. Those are major concerns regardless of what Maryland does. Maryland doesn't cause any of this because Maryland is not important enough.

Ugh. FSU's only option is the B12. The decided to stay in the ACC. How does MD exactly change anything? It doesn't. :bang:
No...there is more MONEY in the B1G 12 and if Maryland was the first of others to follow, FSU could decide to get out while the gettin' is good.
They "decided" to stay in an ACC that was stable and had all its members- but they still voted against the $50 million exit fee along with, wait for it...Maryland.
I'd say that wasn't a coincidence.