ACC: Deja Vu all over again | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC: Deja Vu all over again

Florida & Georgia would try and block FSU
Georgia & South Carolina would try and block Clemson

You're right. It will probably be Virginia Tech and NC State. And that's the worst thing that could happen to the ACC. FSU and Clemson would go to the Big 12, followed by two more ACC schools (pick from UNC, Virginia and Notre Dame) to the Big 10.

Frankly, if UConn is the choice, it tells me one of two things:

1. UNC/Duke/etc. overruled the FB schools; or
2. FSU/Clem don't care anymore because they are looking to leave.

If the reports are true that FSU/Clem demanded the best FB school out there, UConn sure ain't it.

UConn is much better academically than Louisville. I think you make a good point with #2.

What exactly could the ACC have done? 10/12 schools agreed to increase the exit fee to no less than $50,000,000. That's about as proactive as you can be.

It sucks to lose Maryland, but from a competitive standpoint they are easily replaced by Louisville. From a "kick in the nuts" feeling I would think that Syracuse, WVU and Pitt were far more traumatic losses to the BE and A&M and Nebraska were much worse for the Big 12.

I really hope the ACC grabs Louisville today.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Nailed it. As i said in another thread, losing Maryland in and of itself does very little to damage to the ACC, assuming that there are no further defections. The question i have is whether or not the loss of Maryland makes Clemson or FSU question the stability of the conference and start sniffing around with the Big 12, for example. Because FSU and Clemson are football schools, I hardly doubt that either are that broken up about it.

But, Swofford needs to make sure his two biggest assets are protected. Appeasing FSU and Clemson is now key in this. If they say they want another football school, then we get another football school. Academics be damned at this point. If they want the best available football school (Lville), then we take them. No questions asked. To me, if we add Uconn, a basketball school if there ever was one, it will only serve to further piss off the football schools.

Unless we want the football schools to start looking around, i think Louisville is the only clear, realistic choice. And if we add Louisville, and no further defections result, we have actually upgraded our athletic conference.

If the reports are true that FSU/Clem demanded the best FB school out there, UConn sure ain't it.
And scenario number one is right in line with scenario number 2.
Here in Charlotte, all their talking about is the how "Carolina Mafia" might've doomed the conference.

Nailed it. As i said in another thread, losing Maryland in and of itself does very little to damage to the ACC, assuming that there are no further defections. The question i have is whether or not the loss of Maryland makes Clemson or FSU question the stability of the conference and start sniffing around with the Big 12, for example. Because FSU and Clemson are football schools, I hardly doubt that either are that broken up about it.

But, Swofford needs to make sure his two biggest assets are protected. Appeasing FSU and Clemson is now key in this. If they say they want another football school, then we get another football school. Academics be damned at this point. If they want the best available football school (Lville), then we take them. No questions asked. To me, if we add Uconn, a basketball school if there ever was one, it will only serve to further piss off the football schools.

Unless we want the football schools to start looking around, i think Louisville is the only clear, realistic choice. And if we add Louisville, and no further defections result, we have actually upgraded our athletic conference.

Spot on, adding UConn at this point would be a disaster.

And scenario number one is right in line with scenario number 2.
Here in Charlotte, all their talking about is the how "Carolina Mafia" might've doomed the conference.

With ND and this it's deja vous all over again like the title said.

I am taking Oddball's approach to all this realignment bull crud. (I dn't know how to fix it either) Pass the wine please ;)

As i said in another thread, losing Maryland in and of itself does very little to damage to the ACC, assuming that there are no further defections. The question i have is whether or not the loss of Maryland makes Clemson or FSU question the stability of the conference and start sniffing around with the Big 12, for example. Because FSU and Clemson are football schools, I hardly doubt that either are that broken up about it.

Your first 2 sentences sums up the debate for those who can't comprehend why today's news was a big deal. Thank you.

Playing Hardball by taking Maryland?

Playing hardball by destabilizing conference membership. It's not about Maryland's sports teams, per se, it's about markets this time, and it's also about hurting a competitor, just like the ACC did to the Big East a couple times.

Playing hardball by destabilizing conference membership. It's not about Maryland's sports teams, per se, it's about markets this time, and it's also about hurting a competitor, just like the ACC did to the Big East a couple times.

And a charter member no less.

I think you have it exactly right. If the choice is Uconn, you can say sayonara to Clemson and FSU. That tells me the basketball schools have control. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? And here I thought we were leaving the Providence mafia. Swofford, please appease the football schools!!!

Can't agree more. Genuinely frightened by these reports that UConn is the choice.

Where the h$ll is Ken Starr when you need him? This whole thing smells of tortious interference.

If the big schools like FSU, VT, Clemson and so on were going to leave they were going to leave regardless. Its not like FSU woke up today and said "OH MY GOD Maryland just left we have to get out now"

2 Months ago if the SEC offered FSU to join they would have joined. If tomorrow the SEC offered FSU to join they would join. It has nothing to do with Maryland.

FSU could have already went to the Big12 they didn't stay because of Maryland.

The threats of schools being taking from the B10 and the SEC are always there regardless of what conference Maryland is. When the ACC came after the Big East schools they took arguably there best football schools at the time. Maryland is not that in the ACC.

Florida & Georgia would try and block FSU
Georgia & South Carolina would try and block Clemson

The key to the University of Florida's position might not be the school but the state legislature and governor. The politicans in Tallahassee can force UF to drop their resistance to having FSU in the SEC because both are on the public dime. One of the lessons from Syracuse's first daliance with the ACC was that what politicans want -- in that case, the governor of Virginia -- matters more than what schools want. I suspect the same lesson would apply if things started get really bad for FSU.

For our sake, I hope FSU wins big this week and the chips fall their way in terms of getting into the national title game. That would make everyone in Tallahassee a little more comfortable with the current situation on an emotional level.

Can't agree more. Genuinely frightened by these reports that UConn is the choice.
UCONN beat Maryland this year 24-21 at Byrd Stadium. The ACC losses nothing in football by replacing MD with UCONN. Nothing. Why this concern that the powerhouses will bolt over this?

What we don't know is the true institutional commitment that FSU has to the ACC. When things blew up a few months ago it was driven by a BOT yokel and some equally yokelish fans. If the President and the majority of the BOT were always cool with being in the ACC then people are probably freaking out for no reason.

As to the fact that they voted against the $50M exit fee, there's lots of reasons why that may have been the case. Maybe the President felt compelled to save face for said yokel fans/boosters knowing the thing was going to overwhelmingly pass anyway. Maybe he's just philosophically opposed to a fee like that.

Or maybe they've been on the phone to Austin all day, who really knows?

I think you have it exactly right. If the choice is Uconn, you can say sayonara to Clemson and FSU. That tells me the basketball schools have control. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? And here I thought we were leaving the Providence mafia. Swofford, please appease the football schools!!!

Who are these ACC basketball schools?? Sure, I know UNC and Duke. Wake Forest too. But is NC State really a "basketball school?" Georgia Tech isn't. Neither is Virginia Tech. FSU and Clemson and Miami are certainly not "basketball schools." I honestly couldn't tell you what Boston College is these days, but it is probably better known for Doug Flutie than Al Skinner. Now Maryland was once a basketball school, but I don't think it has a vote anymore.

So tell me again how 3 Carolina schools are going to force UCONN down the throats of the other conference members.

The key to the University of Florida's position might not be the school but the state legislature and governor. The politicans in Tallahassee can force UF to drop their resistance to having FSU in the SEC because both are on the public dime. One of the lessons from Syracuse's first daliance with the ACC was that what politicans want -- in that case, the governor of Virginia -- matters more than what schools want. I suspect the same lesson would apply if things started get really bad for FSU.

For our sake, I hope FSU wins big this week and the chips fall their way in terms of getting into the national title game. That would make everyone in Tallahassee a little more comfortable with the current situation on an emotional level.

UF is just one vote though. I can't see Georgia, Carolina, LSU and Bama having any interest in recruiting against FSU as an SEC member.

Any sources, or just your opinion?
Just makes sense to me. PSU just got 2 eastern rivals which they have been pushing for for years, they have bills coming due to both the B1G and the NCAA (about $70M or so, and that's without the civil damages they will most likely have to pay). What makes anyone think they would be willing to move to a conference that would pay them less money, and also hurt the university with a loss of research money (here I am assuming that they would be forced to leave the CIC, which may or may not be true, but the CIC consists of all the B1G schools and U of Chicago, who used to be a member years ago).

So totally my opinion, I think it holds water. But who knows in the crazy environment?

I think we should get back to talking about beers in threads because we're all going to need one after all this conference realignment crap is taken care of - of course, if it EVER gets taken care of.

NCST/VT -> SEC
Clemson/FSU-> Big 12
UNC/VA -> big 10
Plus fill ins the acc is dead before its next 5 year lookin
The other conferences are copying the big model and will be rolling in dough while the ACC is stuck in there current contract for the next 20 years. I bet the acc doesnt make its first 5 year lookin. I have a feeling we could get in with the B10 so we can compete with va/rut/psu and md. But they could take BC instead

After 9 pages and 15 minutes of my life flushed down the toilet, I feel less smart and slightly paranoid. Thanks guys. This thread is useless. All conjecture and worry. No substance.

Gotta clean up the drool.

NCST/VT -> SEC
Clemson/FSU-> Big 12
UNC/VA -> big 10
Plus fill ins the acc is dead before its next 5 year lookin
The other conferences are copying the big model and will be rolling in dough while the ACC is stuck in there current contract for the next 20 years. I bet the acc doesnt make its first 5 year lookin. I have a feeling we could get in with the B10 so we can compete with va/rut/psu and md. But they could take BC instead

Here let me try...

PAC12 takes Texas, TT, OU and Okie State
SEC takes FSU and VT
Big10 takes UNC and VA

This destroys the ACC and the Big 12. The big 12 and ACC leftovers get together to form the final 16 team super conference with ND.

Baylor
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
TCU
WVU
Miami
BC
GT
Duke
Wake
NCST