ACC: Deja Vu all over again | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC: Deja Vu all over again

Ugh. FSU's only option is the B12. The decided to stay in the ACC. How does MD exactly change anything? It doesn't. :bang:

The SEC is always in play for FSU. I doubt highly if they would let the Big 12 just pluck two of their states Florida and SC unless their first order of business is the demise of the ACC. Then they would have pretty much the whole south if they can get the NC schools and Virginia.

No...there is more MONEY in the B1G 12 and if Maryland was the first of others to follow, FSU could decide to get out while the gettin' is good.
They "decided" to stay in an ACC that was stable and had all its members- but they still voted against the $50 million exit fee along with, wait for it...Maryland.
I'd say that wasn't a coincidence.

The Big 12 money is with Texas and Oklahoma. The ACC should just invite them and let the Longhorns keep their network.

The problem isnt Maryland or Rutgers to the B10 thats is pretty much irrelevant as both athletic programs are in the toilet. The problem is if FSU or Clemson or Va Tech start getting jumpy and make a move then you have real big time problems.

Actually even though I said FSU, I'm worrying a bit more about a Virginia or NC school being approached by either B1G or SEC. Wonder if the race is on. Both have regional networks and would love those 2 states. Might have to hope that state politicians shut it down to keep the schools in the same league. Or maybe B1G and SEC split them up, do their own little draft. One takes NC, other takes VT, then the first gets UVA, the other gets NC State. Wake and Duke hang out on the vine.

And yes, I know how absolutely batsh crazy it sounds for UNC to no longer be in the ACC. But anything suddenly seems possible...

Maybe Gross should call Delany and say you'd be better off with us than Rutgers.

The SEC is always in play for FSU. I doubt highly if they would let the Big 12 just pluck two of their states Florida and SC unless their first order of business is the demise of the ACC. Then they would have pretty much the whole south if they can get the NC schools and Virginia.

The problem with SEC and FSU is the SEC doesn't gain a new market and this also assumes the SEC wants to expand past 14 teams. The new market for them would be Virginia Tech or say North Carolina. I don't think there is a chance in hell though that North Carolina would allow UNC to leave the ACC.

If ND wanted to join the B10 they would have already done it.
this "would have already done it" is just not valid, the landscape changes everyday, what was the right decision today is wrong tomorrow.

Exactly- there's something in it for everyone in a nuclear scenario. The SEC won't hesitate to reach out to some chips in the ACC, why, because Maryland's decision shows a yes is now a possibility.
Why are folks dismissing the fact that the ACC always did the raiding, and this time the shoe's on the other foot?
To paraphrase Biden, its a "big f*%kin deal".

I don't think there is a chance in hell though that North Carolina would allow UNC to leave the ACC.

and kill the greatest hoops rivalry ever??? Blasphemy!

The problem with SEC and FSU is the SEC doesn't gain a new market and this also assumes the SEC wants to expand past 14 teams. The new market for them would be Virginia Tech or say North Carolina. I don't think there is a chance in hell though that North Carolina would allow UNC to leave the ACC.

I agree and that's why I wrote that NC and Virginia may come into play and since the SEC and Big 12 already have a bowl agreement it is quite possible the ACC could be in trouble if the SEC and Big 12 make them a deal they can not refuse. It's a battle between the ACC and Big 12 unless this Maryland/RU thing is the only move. The next move is after rutty is the key.

shocked. We went from one inept shitshow to another...

So the entire Atlantic seaboard can not support an athletic conference?

Are you kidding me?

Are you going to start snorting crack and lifting weights until this is all resolved?

Actually even though I said FSU, I'm worrying a bit more about a Virginia or NC school being approached by either B1G or SEC. Wonder if the race is on. Both have regional networks and would love those 2 states. Might have to hope that state politicians shut it down to keep the schools in the same league. Or maybe B1G and SEC split them up, do their own little draft. One takes NC, other takes VT, then the first gets UVA, the other gets NC State. Wake and Duke hang out on the vine.

And yes, I know how absolutely batsh crazy it sounds for UNC to no longer be in the ACC. But anything suddenly seems possible...

Maybe Gross should call Delany and say you'd be better off with us than Rutgers.

There has been talk for a while that the SEC would like to have members throughout the confederacy, which would mean expanding into Virginia and North Carolina. I think the challenge is that it's difficult to imagine a scenario where the respective state legislatures would allow one school to split away from the other and leave a weakened ACC behind. Anything's possible, but it would invoke a massive controversy.

Now if I'm the Big 10 I go after Virginia and Georgia Tech as my next moves unless the NC schools sell their soul.

I see FSU and Clemson to the Big 12...NC, Duke, NCS and VTech to the SEC and Virginia and GT to the Big 10.

I am sure Gross has been in contact with the B10 to keep a line of communication open for something down the road.

Now if I'm the Big 10 I go after Virginia and Georgia Tech as my next moves unless the NC schools sell their soul.

I see FSU and Clemson to the Big 12...NC, Duke, NCS and VTech to the SEC and Virginia and GT to the Big 10.
And that my friend, would be our...
images

No...there is more MONEY in the B1G 12 and if Maryland was the first of others to follow, FSU could decide to get out while the gettin' is good.
They "decided" to stay in an ACC that was stable and had all its members- but they still voted against the $50 million exit fee along with, wait for it...Maryland.
I'd say that wasn't a coincidence.

My god you are so dopey. The gettin was good before the $50 million vote. FSU decided the B12 wasn't worth it. How has that changed?

My god you are so dopey. The gettin was good before the $50 million vote. FSU decided the B12 wasn't worth it. How has that changed?
Dude, just wishing for something doesn't make it so.
If you honestly can't comprehend why today's news is ominous for the ACC, then I don't know what to tell you.
Seems the rest of the world realizes the potential implications of all this, but if you can't...then power to you. :noidea:

We don't know what FSU wants or is going to do or even knows and I believe assuming that any of us know what direction the BOT's/president are going to take their schools is just a best guess and that includes staying. My best guess is that a lot of schools have made contact or even the groundwork for an escape plan if x happens.

Where does the pac 12 expand? They're going to make the next move.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Again, what if they had no choice? What if the ACC became a watered-down conference with valuable programs poached from every direction, a la the old BE?
ND ran to the ACC for more stability, money they already have. There is NO incentive for them to join the ACC, so they figure to stay pat. But, if Delaney calculated that busting the ACC would FORCE ND to go B1G, then thats what we're seeing.

I don't think you can really compare the BE to the ACC. There are no hybrid schools in the ACC, they all play football at the highest level. The Big East, in that regard was always dysfunctional, and, therefore, so much more vunerable.

There has been talk for a while that the SEC would like to have members throughout the confederacy, which would mean expanding into Virginia and North Carolina. I think the challenge is that it's difficult to imagine a scenario where the respective state legislatures would allow one school to split away from the other and leave a weakened ACC behind. Anything's possible, but it would invoke a massive controversy.

The only way that happens is if UVA/UNC have a B1G offer in hand and VT/NC St an SEC offer in hand. Which is why I think the B1G should wait out #14. No reason to add RU now they aren't going anywhere. They should at least off UVA/UNC/Duke before taking RU (I think Duke would be needed to pry UNC). The chances of this happening a re very very slim but it should be the B1G's next move.

Where does the pac 12 expand? They're going to make the next move.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

That's what I'm hoping for and it's Texas/TT and OU/OSU. Irony would be only 3 super conferences and the SEC and Big 10 take the rest of the ACC then we'd be poop out of luck unless we're in the Big 10..

Dude, just wishing for something doesn't make it so.
If you honestly can't comprehend why today's news is ominous for the ACC, then I don't know what to tell you.
Seems the rest of the world realizes the potential implications of all this, but if you can't...then power to you. :noidea:

MD is meaningless they are not a lynch pin for FSU. This is so silly. Go take a nap for a few years please. UVA/UNC are the dominoes that would have to fall. FSU already made a choice. How the does MD change that. :crazy:

The kicker in this is that if a huge expansion does take place...the SEC and Big 10 could go back to their original 10 and add the others as the new division. 2 divisions of 10 in each conference for the PAC, SEC and Big 10 along with basically giving the Big 12 their old conference back but under the PAC name. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Delaney was content to let ND sit but once they made a commitment he went after the east coast after having the midwest be invaded by the ACC. Now, if this is his biggest move the ACC is fine but if there is a stronger counter punch like FSU to the SEC then there will be some issues staying afloat.

The ACC didn't invade the Midwest, ND has always had one leg in and one leg out with everyone. Shame though on the BE & the ACC for allowing the spoiled & privileged starlet to continue to be the flirtatious tease that she is and has been...