ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member | Syracusefan.com

ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member

I dont know nearly as much as others about the subject of conference realignment, if any at all. Just curious- why has Uconn not been added yet?

Close to MSG, arguably the top bball program of the last 15 years. Is it strictly football? Academics? Someone help me.

Why were we chosen? I'm genuinely curious.

I dont know nearly as much as others about the subject of conference realignment, if any at all. Just curious- why has Uconn not been added yet?

Close to MSG, arguably the top bball program of the last 15 years. Is it strictly football? Academics? Someone help me.

I will leave the why we were chosen to others to address but to the why UConn is not be considered is really simple. The football powers of the conference don't want any more schools in what they consider to be 'recruit wastelands'. The feeling is there isn't enough talent in the NE to justify bringing in another NE school and that UConn does not offer anything the ACC does not already have.

I have also read from more than a few ACC posters that the traditional powers of the league (UNC, etc) don't like the way UConn handled the lawsuit and are holding a grudge over what they considered personal attacks.

I think UNC and company could eventually get over the hurt feelings but I don't think FSU, Clemson and VT will ever come around to another basketball school being added. So unless there is a departure of the league's major football schools I don't see UConn ever getting into the ACC.

Ask Richard Blumenthal. One of the more vile human beings on the planet.

GoHamSU said:
I dont know nearly as much as others about the subject of conference realignment, if any at all. Just curious- why has Uconn not been added yet? Close to MSG, arguably the top bball program of the last 15 years. Is it strictly football? Academics? Someone help me. Why were we chosen? I'm genuinely curious.

You've brought up a bad subject.

Seriously?

I don't think SU and BC want UConn in the ACC.

I don't think either wanted Rutgers.

I'll leave it at that.

You've brought up a bad subject.

Seriously?

I don't think SU and BC want UConn in the ACC.

I don't think either wanted Rutgers.

I'll leave it at that.

So that's how this works? Joe Schmo doesn't want team X, Joe Schmo Jr. doesn't want team Y?

I will leave the why we were chosen to others to address but to the why UConn is not be considered is really simple. The football powers of the conference don't want any more schools in what they consider to be 'recruit wastelands'. The feeling is there isn't enough talent in the NE to justify bringing in another NE school and that UConn does not offer anything the ACC does not already have.

I have also read from more than a few ACC posters that the traditional powers of the league (UNC, etc) don't like the way UConn handled the lawsuit and are holding a grudge over what they considered personal attacks.

I think UNC and company could eventually get over the hurt feelings but I don't think FSU, Clemson and VT will ever come around to another basketball school being added. So unless there is a departure of the league's major football schools I don't see UConn ever getting into the ACC.

So only we were allowed to be a school that is in 'recruit wastelands'?

What about the Big ten?

Football move. Actually, football move that benefited hoops. Win-win for us and the ACC. UConn had hoops. But not football history/brand/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. And the lawsuit did them no favors.

So only we were allowed to be a school that is in 'recruit wastelands'?

What about the Big ten?

Right or wrong they view UConn, Syracuse and BC in the same way. They don't see taking another NE school as adding anything thing. They only see it as further diluting an already dilute product.

Be thankful we are in because had things gone differently it could be us on the outside looking in.

Football move. Actually, football move that benefited hoops. Win-win for us and the ACC. UConn had hoops. But not football history/brand/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. And the lawsuit did them no favors.

Lawsuit?

Ask Richard Blumenthal. One of the more vile human beings on the planet.

Worked in his office one summer when he was the AG of Connecticut and got to spend some time with him. Great guy. Down to earth. Just a decent person in general.

Exactly. Folks can talk about the quality of basketball at UConn all they want but the ACC will probably never make another invite based on hoops again. If it did so it risks loosing FSU and/or Clemson.

Lawsuit?

Below is a post from a State poster on CSNBBS.com and it pretty much sums up (right or wrong) what UConn is facing:

Different ACC schools have different reasons for voting against UConn. Four votes against you and you are dead.

1. BC hates UConn because UConn encroached into BC's perceived football niche area. Always a no vote.
2. FSU and Clemson do not want UConn in the conference because they do not recruit the area and they feel UConn adds nothing in football. Two more no votes.
3. UNC and NC State were not enamored with the viciousness of Blumenthal's legal suit. His handling of discovery pissed off UNC and NC State in particular and had the byproduct of also pissing off VT because they thought the course taken in litigation was too personal.
4. NC State does not want another basketball power added to the league. This provides the 4th vote against UConn. Game over.
5. Several of the woman's coaches don't want UConn.
6. All of the ACC schools like money. UConn adds no extra money because they add no new footprint and their football adds no new eyes.
7. UConn is not a ND partner. The ACC wants to add a ND partner as a 16th school.

None of it is personal.

UConn gambled on football but they waited about a decade and a half too long to move up and commit to big leagues. Louisville made the commitment over 30 years ago. Cincy also committed to big league football recently and got caught, just like USF, and UCF.

LINK

Really?

Go back to 2003 and relive SU's original move to the ACC.

I was 13. Following whatever this lawsuit was about was not my highest priority.

I was 13. Following whatever this lawsuit was about was not my highest priority.
Lawsuit filed by the BE left-behinds (led by the aforementioned Blumenthal - CT AG) after Miami and VT left the BE. SU wisely stayed out of it.

I know it was a a-f joke on the football side, but Navy makes more sense, imo.

I know it was a a-f joke on the football side, but Navy makes more sense, imo.

Navy's problem is they'd get killed in everything else by ACC-level competition since they already are having some trouble competing in the Patriot League. What was suggested during Realignment Daze was a hybrid membership of Navy for football (thereby making ND happy) and G'Town for everything else. Bringing either of them in would also preserve/get back the AQ for MLax when UMd leaves.

I'd love to have Uconn in the ACC. A third elite program, though it's had its struggles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom