ACC must not care | Syracusefan.com

ACC must not care

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
about attendance or a fanbase because otherwise they would have never considered us.

about attendance or a fanbase because otherwise they would have never considered us.
glass houses. Wake, Duke, NC St. are not attendance juggernauts either

glass houses. Wake, Duke, NC St. are not attendance juggernauts either

Wrong glass houses. Ncsu averages 55k plus a game. Wake averages only 30ish, but they have a small capacity

Your right, the attendance is phenomenal for a program that is starting to not suck anymore. Just disappointing to turn the TV on and see almost nobody in the stadium. Looks like when your trying to proclaim to anybody (national tv and recruits) that your a big time program with a storied history. Attendance matters - an empty stadium matters.

I doubt they're taking us for what we are as a football program. The MAC probably wouldn't take us for what we are now, the name recognition is there though so it's more about the potential (doubt our program ever ascends to the top of the ACC or close though).

Fans turn out to see a winner. It's the same in any sport in any league. When a team has been down and losing for a long period of time attendance suffers. While we are making progress in changing on field competitiveness it takes some time to build up. When we win regularly the crowds will be there. Nature of the beast.

Quiet crowd, but looks better than three years ago at a game like this.

As a parent of a high school kid being recruited by Division 1 schools, Syracuse and Pitt moving to the ACC changes everything. Syracuse should get more 4 and 5 star recruits. Syracuse and Pitt making the move to the ACC was smart. Kudos for the genius behind that one!

Imagine, you are 17 years old and you are thinking would I rather play Miami or Cinncinati...Georgia Tech or Rutgers? That is a no brainer!!

Fans turn out to see a winner. It's the same in any sport in any league. When a team has been down and losing for a long period of time attendance suffers. While we are making progress in changing on field competitiveness it takes some time to build up. When we win regularly the crowds will be there. Nature of the beast.

This^^^

If Marrone builds it, they will come.
Also, the extra revenue gives us a chance to upgrade facilities. Theres no reason we can't be back on top in a few years.
I, for one, am VERY optimistic!

so what. hoops team will pack it in. all that matters
The basketball team will get, in one game, 2x of the largest ACC crowd of all time.

Your right, the attendance is phenomenal for a program that is starting to not suck anymore. Just disappointing to turn the TV on and see almost nobody in the stadium. Looks like when your trying to proclaim to anybody (national tv and recruits) that your a big time program with a storied history. Attendance matters - an empty stadium matters.
Maybe instead of turning on the TV, you come to the Dome yourself.

And get your friends to come with you.

How 'bout it?

This^^^

If Marrone builds it, they will come.

I hope so, but talking with my Dad, who went to every home game in '59, he said they couldn't come close to filling Archbold that year. And even if the fans return, they will likely still leave early to beat the "traffic".

It is laughable that the reported attendance was 39k. It looked like maybe 25k.

Stop with this attendance nonsense. I was at Syracuse during the halcyon days of McNabb and Co. and nothing has changed optically about our fan base. I remember everyone leaving at halftime of a Rutgers game during that time b/c the game was out of hand. The big games get big crowds, the Toledo/Tulane games have always been very tenuous attendance wise. Why is everyone surprised by this. Now couple this with an atrocious run in the mid 2000s and you get an easy answer why people are skeptical about showing up more often.

As someone alluded to, win consistently and you will get more fans in there. Win all the time and they still won't fill the Dome. Like BC (who the ACC loved too), like Miami (who doesn't fill Joe Robbie), etc etc.

Stop with this attendance nonsense. I was at Syracuse during the halcyon days of McNabb and Co. and nothing has changed optically about our fan base. I remember everyone leaving at halftime of a Rutgers game during that time b/c the game was out of hand. The big games get big crowds, the Toledo/Tulane games have always been very tenuous attendance wise. Why is everyone surprised by this. Now couple this with an atrocious run in the mid 2000s and you get an easy answer why people are skeptical about showing up more often.

As someone alluded to, win consistently and you will get more fans in there. Win all the time and they still won't fill the Dome. Like BC (who the ACC loved too), like Miami (who doesn't fill Joe Robbie), etc etc.
The McNabb era is the wrong one to cite.

Attendance was outstanding during those years.

The McNabb era is the wrong one to cite.

Attendance was outstanding during those years.

Agree, we have stopped playing any really big games in the Dome some time ago. WVU may be OK but the last one I remember is PSU 3 years ago

I believe the mere fact that it’s such a hassle to park hurts attendance. The casual fan just doesn’t want to deal with the aggravation of it. I have no doubt that easy convenient parking would increase attendance but what do I know. I think you’d get a lot more casual fans to the games.

Every lot requires a parking pass. There’s only a couple of garages and one of those garages now also requires a pass. The trolley train is defunct. All the side streets towards wescott are coned off and if you deviate or are on the wrong side of the street you get a ticket. Great, park at skytop and get bused. People hate that.

By the way, when did parking at manley became a parking pass lot? I noticed that driving by for the Wake game.

Slightly off topic – but I love how they have the quad parking pass lots all fenced off and torn up with construction – especially the main thoroughfare between the quad and the dome. Great planning there to have it torn up during football season.

I believe the mere fact that it’s such a hassle to park hurts attendance. The casual fan just doesn’t want to deal with the aggravation of it. I have no doubt that easy convenient parking would increase attendance but what do I know. I think you’d get a lot more casual fans to the games.

Every lot requires a parking pass. There’s only a couple of garages and one of those garages now also requires a pass. The trolley train is defunct. All the side streets towards wescott are coned off and if you deviate or are on the wrong side of the street you get a ticket. Great, park at skytop and get bused. People hate that.

By the way, when did parking at manley became a parking pass lot? I noticed that driving by for the Wake game.

Slightly off topic – but I love how they have the quad parking pass lots all fenced off and torn up with construction – especially the main thoroughfare between the quad and the dome. Great planning there to have it torn up during football season.

Every lot does not require a pass, many permit lots are now opened to the public for a fee after a certin time frame. Construction is inevitable and impacts people and places from time to time, then again construction in Syracuse is a miracle at this point.

I remember going to Stanford when they had 1/2 the campus torn up, it happens

Every lot does not require a pass, many permit lots are now opened to the public for a fee after a certin time frame. Construction is inevitable and impacts people and places from time to time, then again construction in Syracuse is a miracle at this point.

I remember going to Stanford when they had 1/2 the campus torn up, it happens

maybe public works but su doesn't have any shortage of construction projects. they had from may to sept 1 to get their little project done. it's not like they're putting in a new building.

All the side streets towards wescott are coned off and if you deviate or are on the wrong side of the street you get a ticket.

That's not close to accurate.

Stratford, Livingston, and portions of Sumner and Ackerman are restricted. Every other side street in every direction has alternate-side parking (which won't earn anyone a ticket unless you're a Grade-A moron). Starting at Lancaster, every side street has available spots. Even Walnut Place and Walnut Avenue have on-street parking, and the blocks around the park are about a 7-minute walk from the Dome.

The only emptier excuse than "beating the traffic" is the idiotic canard that parking is "inconvenient." Anyone who has difficulty finding a parking space - a free parking space at that - on University Hill probably shouldn't be allowed to leave the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom