ACC overrated? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC overrated?

...And this was said last year by precisely no one. Which is what I find funny.

I say this every year; perhaps I wasn't as active on the message board last year haha. I love March Madness because it is truly madness, and that's entertaining as hell, but compared to other sports, its the worst system in existence to determine a true champion.

That math isn't right. If they make it the elite eight, then the record would be 8-8, which is not a losing record.

Can someone check my work on that to make sure I'm doing it right?

That math isn't right. If they make it the elite eight, then the record would be 8-8, which is not a losing record.

Can someone check my work on that to make sure I'm doing it right?

Well if they lose in the elite eight the ACC will be 8-9. Final four and it's 9-9.

That was essentially my point when I started this thread.

I chalk this up to JB says stuff.

Then again, if we could see what he actually said, I'm wondering if we are reading it wrong. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure JB said people are saying the ACC is the strongest conference. Not that he was saying it...

JB was searching for someone easy to beat and not finding anyone. That impressed him. And he made the point that that was what he was talking about, not dominant teams at the top of the conference.

Sweet 16 Standings

Big-12 3 of 7
Big Ten 3 of 6
SEC 3 of 5
Pac 12 3 of 4
Big East 2 of 7
WCC 1 of 2
ACC 1 of 9

The ACC results worse than pathetic. Big East only slightly better.

Expect a significant adjustment next year in the number of bids the ACC will receive. Dark future ahead for SU and getting in.

Sweet 16 Standings

Big-12 3 of 7
Big Ten 3 of 6
SEC 3 of 5
Pac 12 3 of 4
Big East 2 of 7
WCC 1 of 2
ACC 1 of 9

The ACC results worse than pathetic. Big East only slightly better.

Expect a significant adjustment next year in the number of bids the ACC will receive. Dark future ahead for SU and getting in.

1*9Hsu7WJAbD0ZUxiD0DeLlw.jpeg

In a series of one-and-done games, the results can be so flukey I just don't see much reasoning behind putting any weight in the results.

The ACC teams that got knocked:
Virginia Tech - sizeable underdogs
Virginia - slight underdogs
Duke - an actual upset, but we're talking about the #7 team in the country losing to the #26 team in the country. This happens all the time.
Notre Dame - underdogs
Florida State - this was pretty bad
Miami - slight favorites
Louisville - lost to the #27 team.

Saying a conference is over/underrated based off one game from each team is silly. If Syracuse were judged off of one bad game (St. John's), people would think we were the worst team in the country. If they judged Syracuse off one good game (Florida State), they'd think we were one of the best in the country; it's no different when you do the same based on the tournament/bowl outcomes.

Every one of the teams you mention lost against the point spread (plus Wake and UNC). UVA, FSU and Miami were completely embarrassed. They weren't just beaten, they were curb stomped. ND never posed a threat to win their game.

It's a bit of a statistical oddity that nearly every one of these teams chose this weekend to play their worst game of the year.

I think the conference was seriously overrated. Most of the teams were not as good as their seeding or public sentiment indicated. Not the end of the world. It happens.

Let's agree to disagree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom