ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

if the B1G has found a way to convince USC and Stanford not to play ND anymore, we may have something.
How? The last alliance attempt between the Pac and the Big was scuttled because our games with USC and Stanford were non-negotiable.

This 3 conference alliance has little to do with us. We want playoff expansion, so I assume we're kind of just listening at this point.

expect Rutgers and Pstate possibly MIchigan State and Michigan to be the games for SU. Cal USC UCLA and Stanford from the pac

I wouldnt read much into it. What you need to know is that we are very lucky to have him as our AD. He will ensure us a seat at the table as he hold as much if not more respect in the media world than any other AD in the country. JW is as important to SU in this next round as anyone.
We were “very lucky” to have Babers as a head coach a couple years ago.

if the B1G has found a way to convince USC and Stanford not to play ND anymore, we may have something.
Never underestimate 2 things about the Big Ten: its ability to make the Pac dance to its tune, and its passion to corner Notre Dame and force it to bend to the Big Ten's will.

My Ga. Tech buddies hate playing Georgia every year on top of Clemson.

UGa dominates them and even when they play at home UGA gets a huge portion of the stadium.
I don’t think too many people in Georgia care about GT/UGA… FSU/UF, UL/UK and Clemson/USC are a different story.

Why play 2 games against the other power conferences rather than just more conference games.

Require all 3 conferences to play 9 conference games. 1 game against the other 2 leagues.
2 other nonconference games.

Georgia Tech won’t care if they lose playing Georgia yearly.

I don’t know how important it is for the other 3 ACC teams with SEC rivals.

I do like the idea of freezing the SEC out.
I wish the alliance would do the same to Notre Dame but it won’t.
I think a pro for playing more P3 vs P3 games would be a far bigger potential audience.

Almost no one in the B1G or P12 states cares about a typical ACC conference game, say Syracuse vs Wake Forest.

Make it Syracuse vs Michigan or Syracuse vs UCLA and I think it is highly likely the ratings for the typical inter conference games will be higher than typical normal conference games. Probably significantly higher.

That would get ESPN's interest.

My guess is that if the alliance members went to ESPN and asked what could be done to get more money, ESPN told them the more inter conference games played, the more money paid. What if the ACC schedules went from 8 to 6 conference games, with 3 games each against the other 2 conferences?

I would think that might lead to a lot of additional revenue. It would be devastating for the MAC, the AAC, the MWC, and whatever the B12 refugees call themselves. But it could get the Big 3 a lot more money.

Could it be enough for the ACC schools to stop playing their SEC rivalry games? Hard to imagine them stopping. But it was hard to imagine Pitt not playing WVU every season. Or Texas not playing Texas A&M. Or Oklahoma not playing Nebraska.

If the money is right, most anything is possible.

Last edited:
I think a pro for playing more P3 vs P3 games would be a far better potential audience.

Almost no one in the B1G or P12 states cares about a game feature Syracuse and Wake. Make it Syracuse vs Michigan or Syracuse vs UCLA and I think it is highly likely the ratings for the typical inter conference games will be higher than typical normal conference games.

That would get ESPN's interest. My guess is that if the alliance members went to ESPN and asked what could be done to get more money, ESPN told them the more inter conference games played, the more money paid. What if the ACC schedules went from 8 to 6 conference games, with 3 games each against the other 2 conferences?

I would think that might lead to a lot of additional revenue. It would be devastating for the MAC, the AAC, the MWC, and whatever the B12 refugees call themselves. They can all thank the SEC for starting this mess.

I like this and it makes a lot of sense. Is there any reason a mega conference of these 3 can’t play more games per year. In reality, who’s going to stop them, the NCAA? Then you could still do the 3 games like you said and maybe increase normal conference games by 1-2 more games.

Has this from The Athletic been posted here yet?

The hardcore SEC types will snicker at this: "Schools within the three conferences believe they are like-minded, that they want to continue to prioritize broad-based sports offerings and that the academic profile of their institutions matters — as does graduating athletes. For example, Big Ten schools sponsor an average of 24.8 sports per campus, with the ACC (23.8) and Pac-12 (22.9) not far behind. SEC schools offer an average of 19.9 sports."

It still almost stumps me that those filthy rich SEC athletics departments will not start D1 lacrosse programs.

How? The last alliance attempt between the Pac and the Big was scuttled because our games with USC and Stanford were non-negotiable.

This 3 conference alliance has little to do with us. We want playoff expansion, so I assume we're kind of just listening at this point.
everything is negotiable.

what do those schools want?

if its midwest exposure, then boom...usc & stanford get to play M, W & OSU.

if they also want the East Coast?...get ready for Cuse/rutgers-USC at Giants Stadium as well as games with Clemson, Fla St etc.

i love nd-usc, but if it has to go to form the alliance...it goes.

and if nd joins it, by joining the ACC...then it can come back.

theres no guarantees in life, son.

the Alliance will be calling the shots...and they got the Rose Bowl and likely the Orange already.

The only games between the conferences that will drive TV would be
Clemson-Ohio State-USC-Florida State-Michigan-Oregon-UCLA-Miami-Penn State.

No need to make Syracuse play Washington State or Purdue play Wake Forest.
I disagree. Syracuse vs Purdue would get a bigger audience than Syracuse vs Albany.

Has this from The Athletic been posted here yet?

The hardcore SEC types will snicker at this: "Schools within the three conferences believe they are like-minded, that they want to continue to prioritize broad-based sports offerings and that the academic profile of their institutions matters — as does graduating athletes. For example, Big Ten schools sponsor an average of 24.8 sports per campus, with the ACC (23.8) and Pac-12 (22.9) not far behind. SEC schools offer an average of 19.9 sports."

It still almost stumps me that those filthy rich SEC athletics departments will not start D1 lacrosse programs.

Auerbach: There is hope within all three leagues that their commissioners will align to delay the implementation of an expanded College Football Playoff. Athletic directors in all three leagues have expressed concerns over the composition of the four-member working group that proposed the 12-team format and treated it as an inevitability without hearing from any representatives of the three leagues.

The composition of the controversial 4 person committee that pushed so hard to get the playoff format expanded is below...

The four members of the working group (Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey, Mountain West Conference Commissioner Craig Thompson, and Notre Dame Athletics Director Jack Swarbrick) presented their recommendation today during a virtual meeting of the full management committee that administers the CFP.

The ACC, the B1G and the P12 had no one on this committee. Sankey did a great job stacking the deck, promising the MWC commissioner he would get a few crumbs and promising the ND AD the much easier road for an independent to get to the playoffs.

Sankey made one big mistake though, grabbing Oklahoma and Texas before the expansion was approved. I think that dream is not gone, perhaps forever. What a greedy bonehead.

We’re going into year six coming off a one win season, he’s trending the wrong way. On the plus side, won’t be hard to improve off of last year.
Not the place to have an argument; I think last year was an asterisk year and trending down or not I haven’t lost faith in him (still feel lucky to have him). This year will be big.

Back to alliances

I think a pro for playing more P3 vs P3 games would be a far bigger potential audience.

Almost no one in the B1G or P12 states cares about a typical ACC conference game, say Syracuse vs Wake Forest.

Make it Syracuse vs Michigan or Syracuse vs UCLA and I think it is highly likely the ratings for the typical inter conference games will be higher than typical normal conference games. Probably significantly higher.

That would get ESPN's interest.

My guess is that if the alliance members went to ESPN and asked what could be done to get more money, ESPN told them the more inter conference games played, the more money paid. What if the ACC schedules went from 8 to 6 conference games, with 3 games each against the other 2 conferences?

I would think that might lead to a lot of additional revenue. It would be devastating for the MAC, the AAC, the MWC, and whatever the B12 refugees call themselves. But it could get the Big 3 a lot more money.

Could it be enough for the ACC schools to stop playing their SEC rivalry games? Hard to imagine them stopping. But it was hard to imagine Pitt not playing WVU every season. Or Texas not playing Texas A&M. Or Oklahoma not playing Nebraska.

If the money is right, most anything is possible.
This alliance isn’t going to ESPN.

This alliance has very little to do with scheduling for football.

If anything comes out of it for scheduling it will be the big dogs playing against each other.

Why would ESPN want less content for a couple of big games.
Big Ten and PAC-12 tier 1 is controlled by Fox first then ESPN gets some picks.

Playing 6 conference games? That isn’t going to work.

The ACC should expand conference schedule to 9.

I would rather see Syracuse-Virginia/Virginia Tech/Miami/North Carolina/Duke than Syracuse-Purdue.
Eliminate FCS game (or make it a exhibition like the article stated).

Go to pods for ACC play. Add one conference game.

1 Out of alliance/conference game (SEC or MAC or whatever)

2 alliance games (1 B1G, 1 PAC12) … I’d prefer these games to be chosen based on where you finished the year prior in conference. So we’d get Purdue and Wash State or something like that this year.

Auerbach: There is hope within all three leagues that their commissioners will align to delay the implementation of an expanded College Football Playoff. Athletic directors in all three leagues have expressed concerns over the composition of the four-member working group that proposed the 12-team format and treated it as an inevitability without hearing from any representatives of the three leagues.

The composition of the controversial 4 person committee that pushed so hard to get the playoff format expanded is below...

four members of the working group (Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey, Mountain West Conference Commissioner Craig Thompson, and Notre Dame Athletics Director Jack Swarbrick) presented their recommendation today during a virtual meeting of the full management committee that administers the CFP.

The ACC, the B1G and the P12 had no one on this committee. Sankey did a great job stacking the deck, promising the MWC commissioner he would get a few crumbs and promising the ND AD the much easier road for an independent to get to the playoffs.

Sankey made one big mistake though, grabbing Oklahoma and Texas before the expansion was approved. I think that dream is not gone, perhaps forever. What a greedy bonehead.
i mean, retrospect...that is hysterical.

Eliminate FCS game (or make it a exhibition like the article stated).

Go to pods for ACC play. Add one conference game.

1 Out of alliance/conference game (SEC or MAC or whatever)

2 alliance games (1 B1G, 1 PAC12) … I’d prefer these games to be chosen based on where you finished the year prior in conference. So we’d get Purdue and Wash State or something like that this year.
I like the idea at the bottom. It’s kinda like the champions league idea.

Built in where you would play 9 conference games. 1 Big Ten, 1 Pac-12 H/A rotate each year and then one more nonconference game.

I just don’t think scheduling is a big part of the alliance.

i mean, retrospect...that is hysterical.
ND and the SEC were freaking leading this thing from the inside the other conference deserved to get their clocks cleaned.

Texas A&M leaking the SEC was taking Oklahoma and Texas really saved the other conferences.

This expansion isn’t going to happen now.
Get the ND AD off that committee today.

I like the idea at the bottom. It’s kinda like the champions league idea.

Built in where you would play 9 conference games. 1 Big Ten, 1 Pac-12 H/A rotate each year and then one more nonconference game.

I just don’t think scheduling is a big part of the alliance.
i most definitely think scheduling is.

and absolutely that is how it would likely be scheduled...with some variance built in.

something like they will be matched up with a school within 2 spots of where they finished.

this way schools dont play the same team every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom