ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

18 sponsored sports doesn't seem that bad for a medium sized private school. But I agree it would be great to add a couple more sports
Wake Forest, which is a much smaller private university, has 16.

I mentioned this in my original posts from the other thread. Ultimately, long term, the 3 conferences need to form on mega/super conference. The danger of still being 3 separate conferences just working together because of common interests is….. it doesn’t prevent the SEC from poaching teams like FSU, Clemson, USC, ND, etc. It also doesn’t give it as much power as necessary to implement a vision they see.

Ultimately they’ll need to ban together, create a GOR for one mega conference and create their own rules, championship, schedules excluding all other leagues.

Golf is the perfect sport to add.
Make Boeheim the coach it’s fine.
It’s not a lot of scholarships so the cost won’t be a lot and we could add both genders together.

An even 20 varsity sports is perfect.

I mentioned this in my original posts from the other thread. Ultimately, long term, the 3 conferences need to form on mega/super conference. The danger of still being 3 separate conferences just working together because of common interests is….. it doesn’t prevent the SEC from poaching teams like FSU, Clemson, USC, ND, etc. It also doesn’t give it as much power as necessary to implement a vision they see.

Ultimately they’ll need to ban together, create a GOR for one mega conference and create their own rules, championship, schedules excluding all other leagues.

I agree with you re: prolly Clemson or FSU, but the other schools you mentioned I don't see it happening

Probably not happening. We are the only school in the ACC that doesn't have a Baseball team. . Baseball makes more sense.
  • The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray.

The easiest sport to add would be men's and women's golf, the ACC is great at that..
I believe Syracuse is the only school in the ACC that does not offer varsity baseball. ACC baseball is terrific, and I believe most of the schools make some revenue off it.

Every school in the ACC has women’s golf except Syracuse, Pitt and Georgia Tech. How Georgia Tech, the alma mater of Bobby Jones, not have women’s golf is beyond me. I agree, if you want to add sports quickly and for a minimal investment, add golf. SU already owns Drumlins. The biggest drawback is weather. As with baseball, there wouldn’t be much season where conditions would be playable and classes were still in session.

The best shot to add a sport that would generate revenue is probably men’s hockey. There are lots of good programs easy to travel to near Syracuse, there is talent available and Syracuse has long been a hockey loving town. Playing this sport in CNY weather is a non issue, which is also nice. The ACC is not into hockey though. I believe BC and ND are the only schools playing it as varsity sports today.

Gymnastics could be done without too much of an investment. We even have a history here with men’s gymnastics.

We have a history with men and women’s swimming too but no facility. Need a sugar daddy to come up with $10 million (or whatever it costs for a new swimming facility these days).

Football coaches are lobbying to increase roster sizes to help address issues with turnout with the new transfer rules. Maybe the number of scholarships for football gets bumped by 10 in a couple of years. If that happens, we probably will need to add another women’s sport. My guess is that it would be golf.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. Hard to see us ever adding baseball. If we add another sport, it will surely be a women’s sport. If we ever add another men’s sport, I suspect it will be hockey. There are also issues here with a facility, and finding a league, but at some point, the county is going to have to build a new indoor athletic arena (the War Memorial will not last forever and is surely near the end of its live). Could see a complex deal possibly made where SU agrees to serve as a tenant, along with the Crunch and indoor soccer and lacrosse teams. That new arena could be built closer to SU. It would be a lot easier with I81 out of the way. This is a long shot but I think it is the best hope for SU to ever get a men’s hockey team. The women could play there too. Maybe set up a nice college tournament featuring local team like the old Syracuse Invitational.

It would have been a lot easier for SU to play baseball if the new stadium was built somewhere downtown or between downtown and SU but that opportunity has been lost.

I agree with you re: prolly Clemson or FSU, but the other schools you mentioned I don't see it happening

I was sh!tballing to some degree, also under pressure to finish my post by the wife :rolleyes: But in general, preventing the poaching of members by the SEC.

It’s embarrassing not to have baseball. Every school in CNY and further has baseball. Add baseball and whatever sport(s) are needed on the female side to maintain title 9 compliance.

I believe Syracuse is the only school in the ACC that does not offer varsity baseball. ACC baseball is terrific, and I believe most of the schools make some revenue off it.

Every school in the ACC has women’s golf except Syracuse, Pitt and Georgia Tech. How Georgia Tech, the alma mater of Bobby Jones, not have women’s golf is beyond me. I agree, if you want to add sports quickly and for a minimal investment, add golf. SU already owns Drumlins. The biggest drawback is weather. As with baseball, there wouldn’t be much season where conditions would be playable and classes were still in session.

The best shot to add a sport that would generate revenue is probably men’s hockey. There are lots of good programs easy to travel to near Syracuse, there is talent available and Syracuse has long been a hockey loving town. Playing this sport in CNY weather is a non issue, which is also nice. The ACC is not into hockey though. I believe BC and ND are the only schools playing it as varsity sports today.

Gymnastics could be done without too much of an investment. We even have a history here with men’s gymnastics.

We have a history with men and women’s swimming too but no facility. Need a sugar daddy to come up with $10 million (or whatever it costs for a new swimming facility these days).

Football coaches are lobbying to increase roster sizes to help address issues with turnout with the new transfer rules. Maybe the number of scholarships for football gets bumped by 10 in a couple of years. If that happens, we probably will need to add another women’s sport. My guess is that it would be golf.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. Hard to see us ever adding baseball. If we add another sport, it will surely be a women’s sport. If we ever add another men’s sport, I suspect it will be hockey. There are also issues here with a facility, and finding a league, but at some point, the county is going to have to build a new indoor athletic arena (the War Memorial will not last forever and is surely near the end of its live). Could see a complex deal possibly made where SU agrees to serve as a tenant, along with the Crunch and indoor soccer and lacrosse teams. That new arena could be built closer to SU. It would be a lot easier with I81 out of the way. This is a long shot but I think it is the best hope for SU to ever get a men’s hockey team. The women could play there too. Maybe set up a nice college tournament featuring local team like the old Syracuse Invitational.

It would have been a lot easier for SU to play baseball if the new stadium was built somewhere downtown or between downtown and SU but that opportunity has been lost.
What's wrong with the Syracuse Mets stadium. I think, considering the ACC teams make it to the NCAA Baseball World Series consistently, the TV revenue would be better for Baseball than Ice Hockey.

What's wrong with the Syracuse Mets stadium. I think, considering the ACC teams make it to the NCAA Baseball World Series consistently, the TV revenue would be better for Baseball than Ice Hockey.

Nothing if it's available.

The current MILB schedule has teams playing 6 game home stands. SU wouldn't be able to use the stadium for 2 weeks every month.

And we're not playing too many home games in Feb/March when the season starts.

The Sabres owner Pegula also has a son that attends SU, would be a good person to ask for a generous donation for a new rink

Nothing if it's available.

The current MILB schedule has teams playing 6 game home stands. SU wouldn't be able to use the stadium for 2 weeks every month.

And we're not playing too many home games in Feb/March when the season starts.
OK. So you schedule Baseball like Softball does and play away at southern schools in those months.

I know less about this stuff than most people over the age of 8. But I know this much: whatever happens from here is not about the fans, schools or even the conferences. It’s about money. Once the NIL dam broke, there is literally nothing to keep the powers that be from just going all in on making fortunes off of CFB. Previously they had to at least appear to be responsible shapers of young men through amateur athletics. Well, that veil was lifted. It’s business time.
Market was mature enough by now anywho IMO, I believe this will come to fruition faster than a lot of people maybe believe.

It’s embarrassing not to have baseball. Every school in CNY and further has baseball. Add baseball and whatever sport(s) are needed on the female side to maintain title 9 compliance.
Being the only school in the ACC without baseball bothers me too. I'd love for it to work out somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom