ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 123 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Posters on this board have said FSU and Clemson are going to leave for the past 5 years. Why hasn't it happened yet?
The main reason I don't pay much attention to these realignment threads is the whole topic flat out doesn't interest me. But the other part is yes, there's a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about and just throw stuff out there.

The SEC is going to block Clemson and FSU from going to the Big 10? Do they have a magic vote?
The SEC already said the 2 teams they would accept into the league from the ACC are FSU and Clemson, so they will just take them in. The B1G wants OU and UW, they're just waiting for the right time.

Do you feel that way about every rumor you hear? That would be crazy.

No I don’t but it’s a very big deal to lose teams like this from a conference the Cuse is in. I don’t see the ACC being very proactive. Perhaps consider poaching Penn State or WV? Also based on what I’ve read on here for these teams to break the GOR is too rich of an endeavor but who knows

Posters on this board have said FSU and Clemson are going to leave for the past 5 years. Why hasn't it happened yet?
When the B1G and the SEC signed those mega deals, it changed the calculus. That just happened. If FSU and Clemson left and paid $300 million each that would be $50 million for each of the remaining 12 programs.

No I don’t but it’s a very big deal to lose teams like this from a conference the Cuse is in. I don’t see the ACC being very proactive. Perhaps consider poaching Penn State or WV? Also based on what I’ve read on here for these teams to break the GOR is too rich of an endeavor but who knows
Why would Penn State leave the Big 10 for the ACC?

Add the 6 Pac schools. If the reports are accurate the new Pac deal payouts are between $20-24M, then that's crap for them. May have to do some convincing to UW and Oregon to sign the GOR. But Cal, Stanford, OreSt and Wazzu will sign. Those 6 schools may increase the payout for the ACC? I think you would 100% have to go to 9 games. That additional game maybe gets a streaming deal. CBS and NBC are each giving the B1G $350M for basically 1 additional game per week plus an extra game or 2. (15-16). Not saying ACC will get that, but just additional 2 games per week should bring in some nice revenue of maybe $250-300M.

So it's 20+ND. I seriously think you throw an invite to the service academies. Navy and Army are huge brand and Air force helps get an additional team out West. You immediately get the Army-Navy game (7M viewers) and the Commander in Chief Trophy. You keep ND happy with Stanford and Navy within their realm of influence. They bring in about total 2.0M viewers per week between the 3 of them. Not sure who that 4th would be. Uconn? Memphis? USF? Ehh. Do you ask Utah to have 8 Western teams? Hmm. I like that.

So you're at 24 with 3-8 team divisions. Maybe you start the season a week early. And do conference semis and finals!! That's 219 total conference games. DOUBLE the current 113 games played (including ACC CG).

So if the ACC can at a minimum gets the same $40-50 range for each team with the additional content, revenue and teams to distribute to, plus a streaming deal for $300M - That's an extra $12.5M per year for $50-62.5M

That puts you in the solid 3rd and competitive with the Top 2.

I've seen the reports the last few days about Florida St & Clemson going to the Big Ten. I'm skeptical. Neither are members of the AAU. All B1G schools are members of the AAU (Association of American Universities) except Nebraska, which was one when it joined the B1G.

It’s obviously coming from somewhere I wish it would just happen and deal with what ever happens
This is how I've felt ever since the Oklahoma to the B1G chatter emerged. While that was a rumor with the most questionable of origins, I continue to wait in eager anticipation.

Add the 6 Pac schools. If the reports are accurate the new Pac deal payouts are between $20-24M, then that's crap for them. May have to do some convincing to UW and Oregon to sign the GOR. But Cal, Stanford, OreSt and Wazzu will sign. Those 6 schools may increase the payout for the ACC? I think you would 100% have to go to 9 games. That additional game maybe gets a streaming deal. CBS and NBC are each giving the B1G $350M for basically 1 additional game per week plus an extra game or 2. (15-16). Not saying ACC will get that, but just additional 2 games per week should bring in some nice revenue of maybe $250-300M.

So it's 20+ND. I seriously think you throw an invite to the service academies. Navy and Army are huge brand and Air force helps get an additional team out West. You immediately get the Army-Navy game (7M viewers) and the Commander in Chief Trophy. You keep ND happy with Stanford and Navy within their realm of influence. They bring in about total 2.0M viewers per week between the 3 of them. Not sure who that 4th would be. Uconn? Memphis? USF? Ehh. Do you ask Utah to have 8 Western teams? Hmm. I like that.

So you're at 24 with 3-8 team divisions. Maybe you start the season a week early. And do conference semis and finals!! That's 219 total conference games. DOUBLE the current 113 games played (including ACC CG).

So if the ACC can at a minimum gets the same $40-50 range for each team with the additional content, revenue and teams to distribute to, plus a streaming deal for $300M - That's an extra $12.5M per year for $50-62.5M

That puts you in the solid 3rd and competitive with the Top 2.

1690921944620.jpeg

I reluctantly pass along what I have heard. JFK Jr. is still alive and he is a huge ACC fan. He is working behind the scenes with the ACC commissioner and they are very close at getting Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia to join the ACC along with Notre Dame becoming a full member. I really trust this source, he has never let me down.

When the B1G and the SEC signed those mega deals, it changed the calculus. That just happened. If FSU and Clemson left and paid $300 million each that would be $50 million for each of the remaining 12 programs.
Sure. :rolleyes:

FSU and Clemson are definitely leaving but not until the GOR is nearing the end or 2-3 years from being up. Anyone who has them leaving now doesn't understand the GOR and how it works.
10 years is a lot of time. Nothing then will be the same as it is now. Posters on this board throw the same crap at the wall every year and everyday.

10 years is a lot of time. Nothing then will be the same as it is now. Posters on this board throw the same crap at the wall every year and everyday.

The difference in yearly payout is to astronomical. There's a reason why the FSU administration has freely admitted their looking for an out already, the writings on the wall.

The difference in yearly payout is to astronomical. There's a reason why the FSU administration has freely admitted their looking for an out already, the writings on the wall.
I think it’s dumb anyone worries about anything ten years from now. The landscape won’t be the same and some of us may be dead.

FSU and Clemson might want to think long and hard about any movement. They might not win anything of significance ever again.

I think it’s dumb anyone worries about anything ten years from now. The landscape won’t be the same and some of us may be dead.

FSU and Clemson might want to think long and hard about any movement. They might not win anything of significance ever again.

It's not a matter of winning its a matter of 90+ million a year versus 45 million. It's why Texas and Oklahoma bolted for a conference neither of them is likely winning anytime soon

People are worried because the ACC falling apart is horrific for SU. SU isnt going to the SEC and is at best a Longshot for the B10. Again if you don't want to worry about it that's absolutely your right but not everyone is going to whistle past the graveyard.

It's not a matter of winning its a matter of 90+ million a year versus 45 million. It's why Texas and Oklahoma bolted for a conference neither of them is likely winning anytime soon

People are worried because the ACC falling apart is horrific for SU. SU isnt going to the SEC and is at best a Longshot for the B10. Again if you don't want to worry about it that's absolutely your right but not everyone is going to whistle past the graveyard.
I’m calling It out because the same posts have been repeated for 5 plus years yet here we are. And 90% of what posters have predicted about conference realignment never happens or never happens in the time period predicted. It‘s a ridiculous discussion.

I’m calling It out because the same posts have been repeated for 5 plus years yet here we are. And 90% of what posters have predicted about conference realignment never happens or never happens in the time period predicted. It‘s a ridiculous discussion.

Sorry but that's not correct. 5 years ago you weren't staring down A 35-40+ mill a year differential per year with the SEC and B10. You didnt have USC and UCLA bolting for the B10 for a massive payday and 5 years ago you didn't have a fellow conference school (FSU) openly admitting their looking to leave the conference.

To say it's a ridiculous discussion is absurd and honestly naive to how precarious the situation is right now.

What credible source has revealed that FSU and Clemson have broken the GOR and will leave the ACC for a mere $300MM? The exit fee alone is 3X the annual revenue, which was $41-$42MM last year, or $123-$126MM, plus the cost of obtaining their media rights which is 12 years at $42MM (probably more but a number for now) X2.1 (the minimum multiplier established by OU and UT).

Then the ACC must agree to the buy out. Let's just ignore the fact that no ACC member has any incentive to agree to the buy out.

Then ESPN must agree to the buy out. Let's just ignore the fact that ESPN will destroy one of it's money making ventures and has no other incentive to agree to the buy out.

And we will completely ignore the fact that FSU and Clemson have no offer to accept a slot in either the B1G or the SEC. I think it safe to assume neither FSU nor Clemson is jumping to the Big 12.

And we will completely ignore the fact that neither FSU nor Clemson have a cool billion laying around the AD's office plus to pay the more likely exit fees.

And we must absolutely forget that the attorneys with each conference, each team, ESPN, and many many private firms have concluded that the GOR cannot be broken outside of a an over-the-top buyout.

So what is the secret that FSU and Clemson figured out that no one else could figure out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom