ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 140 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

It appears that the B1G will add UW, OU, Stanford and Cal to complete a 6 team western division. They have Minn, Wisky, Neb, Iowa, illinois and NW for a plains division, Then they have Purdue, IU, MSU, Michigan and OSU in the Great Lakes division. Notre Dame would fit there to fill that out which leaves the east where they currently have PSU, Maryland and Rutgers. They would need 3 more teams to fill that division.
UVA GT Miami. Captures the DMV, Atlanta and South Florida. All strategies adds

Probably not, especially given ESPN’s financial position right now but I wonder if the B10 continuing to expand forces ESPN to do something. Do something might be helping ACC bring in remaining PAC schools and increase the money.

I don’t actually see that happening but things are happening really quickly. “Could” cause a reaction by ESPN especially with FSU speaking up.

Just getting more ridiculous by the hour

Just curious here - does Florida State even have a guaranteed landing spot in the SEC or B1G if they were somehow miraculously able to leave the ACC right now? Haven't followed this close enough to know, but how funny would it be if they left the ACC and had no place to go...

Just curious here - does Florida State even have a guaranteed landing spot in the SEC or B1G if they were somehow miraculously able to leave the ACC right now? Haven't followed this close enough to know, but how funny would it be if they left the ACC and had no place to go...
They need to identify a path out of the ACC (i.e. pay the penalty and cover for losses due to the GOR) before they can negotiate a spot in the SEC/Big 10. Maybe both are being done in parallel, who knows? However, when most thought it was impossible, FSU might be laying out a path to exit from the ACC.

Northwestern played in the B10 championship game two years ago and Stanford has appeared in multiple Rose Bowls in recent history.
Recent history is retreating rapidly for them, and the pace will only increase with the recent BiG additions and PAC 12 woes.

They need to identify a path out of the ACC (i.e. pay the penalty and cover for losses due to the GOR) before they can negotiate a spot in the SEC/Big 10. Maybe both are being done in parallel, who knows? However, when most thought it was impossible, FSU might be laying out a path to exit from the ACC.

Nobody said it was impossible in the sense that it couldn’t be done. It’s impossible right now because money is the preventative measure. Now, if FSU is working with JP Morgan thinking it will raise the capital needed to exit now. Go for it. That’s going to be easily in the hundreds of millions for a poor performing program. It’ll take them 20+ years to maybe start breaking even and I think 30 is more likely.

Nobody said it was impossible in the sense that it couldn’t be done. It’s impossible right now because money is the preventative measure. Now, if FSU is working with JP Morgan thinking it will raise the capital needed to exit now. Go for it. That’s going to be easily in the hundreds of millions for a poor performing program. It’ll take them 20+ years to maybe start breaking even and I think 30 is more likely.
don't get me wrong, institutions/people make bad financial decisions all the time. however, whether we like it or not, these are two respected institutions who are at are currently in talks with each other, which means the deal has to be worthwhile enough for both to look into. whether they can come to an agreement on a deal that makes sense to both, who knows?

Unlikely, but I guess one can dream.
You mean like ND fans who fancy that ND is far too big and powerful to be forced into such a situation?

The reality is that the BT and SEC are working steadily to destroy or at least seriously weaken the other 3 of the P5 so that only they are left standing at the top. The Pac is basically dead mean walking now. The Big 12 has only 1 true National name Brand in basketball and none in football. So the ACC is last barrier to the BT/SEC game plan for them to have total ownership of CFB's top level, which will translate into that pair also controlling the top level of basketball.

So what is ND going to do if the ACC is gutted? Is ND going to remain in Aleague that's lost most of its value? Nope. ND will then be told by BT and SEC: we control the CFB playoff. We are now losing it. You must join one of us od be left out. And ND will click its heels and join up.

The only that is not your future is if the ACC can remain standing at full strength so that there are 3 truly Major/Power conferences. And that is unlikely to occur unless ND does something to help that effort.

SEC should add the entire ACC then it would be a done deal
Then have B1G add the PAC and split the Big12 so one conference runs from Gulf Coast to New England and the other from Midwest to the Pacific.

Swap ND and Missouri for Penn St, Maryland, & Rutgers to firm up the geography.

Then create 4 divisions per conference that make sense. Div champs could do a playoff for conference championship, then play other conf champ for National Title. Or create another playoff system with the Div champs getting a bye.

May as well just get it over with.

SEC should add the entire ACC then it would be a done deal
That was Jay Bilas's half joking line not long after we learned the SEC was taking OU and Texas.

The SEC would never think of taking Wake or BC. But you can make a case for the SEC taking the other 12 to get it over with easily. That would make the SEC then also the King of CBB which now has 2 schools both of the Mason-Dixon Line, which allows the SEC also to take on the BT directly in what the BT sees as its Home turf.

I would not prefer that, but I certainly could live with it.

A very good episode. Worth the listen.
in addition to his take, clicking the link to find the following comment was pure gold:

"I saw this awesome idea earlier on a CFB forum:

When the Big Ten adds more PAC schools, they can separate the conference into two divisions: the PAC and the BIG. Then, at the end of the season, they could have the winner of each division play each other. Perhaps this game could take place on New Year's day in California, maybe even have a parade and everything. They could call it "The Rose Bowl" or something like that. Could be fun."

That would be a crazy risk, one that state politicians should never allow. That is a state university. It's priority is the state and the state's citizens. It cannot be risked by playing big money games with Wall Street sharks.

Toeing close to a non sports line here but the Florida governmental administration has taken unusual and somewhat controversial stances of late. Not trying to get into that other than to say, they may be into the idea of rolling the dice here, I dunno.

Toeing close to a non sports line here but the Florida governmental administration has taken unusual and somewhat controversial stances of late. Not trying to get into that other than to say, they may be into the idea of rolling the dice here, I dunno.

Raising private capital to buy out a contract with an athletic conference to get paid back buy another conference over X years seems like a crazy deal, esp with sports media in flux.

Raising private capital to buy out a contract with an athletic conference to get paid back buy another conference over X years seems like a crazy deal, esp with sports media in flux.

Yeah that's a whole lot of what ifs and assumptions they are playing with. While the ACC would get a big check and move on.

Then have B1G add the PAC and split the Big12 so one conference runs from Gulf Coast to New England and the other from Midwest to the Pacific.

Swap ND and Missouri for Penn St, Maryland, & Rutgers to firm up the geography.

Then create 4 divisions per conference that make sense. Div champs could do a playoff for conference championship, then play other conf champ for National Title. Or create another playoff system with the Div champs getting a bye.

May as well just get it over with.
The problem is that there isn’t a central governing body or leadership team looking out for the best interests of the entire sport. It’s little fiefdoms fighting for power so the end game will be the result of separate self-interested parties making decisions rather than some grand plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom