ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 142 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

At some point you have to think "government" gets involved. Especially if there's a conference model down the road that leaves out a significant amount of schools.
[/QUOTE\)
The bad part is the only conference doing nothing is the ACC.
The perception is we have no leadership on a national level. SEC at 16, Big 12 at 16, Big 10 at 18. Everyone else made good moves, and we sat around doing nothing.

Cal and Stanford football without Oregon and Washington will cost the ACC, not help it.
I tend to agree.

A legit partnership / semi-merger made absolute sense if it involved OR, WA, AZ, ASU, Utah
It made less sense but could still MAYBE be justified without the NW two but everyone else
But if the NW schools and the AZ schools both go, I dont see enough value, as much as the ACC wants the PAC to survive

Everyone keeps mentioning ESPN...why? They just unloaded a ton of on air personality to cut costs. Bob Iger went on CNBC and basically said TV is dead lol. ESPN is not backing up the truck as they have no money.
About 75% of the newer on air ESPN people suck, and another 10-15% are barely decent. They should all be replaced.

The ACC is just in a bad spot. There are no easy adds right now. There's not an easily tappable mega market to grab. There's just strategic "maybes" out there. Adding UConn for instance (which I think they should do if at ALL possible) would be easy to justify when the network money is flush and ESPN won't blink at giving them a full share. But when costs are being trimmed, there's a lot more caution and there needs to be a clear and unequivocal immediate value.

Unless the ACC figures out a way that they can gain enough revenue to be able to absorb some sort term speculative plays for the sake of overall strength (UConn, Stanford, Cal, etc), I cant see much to add right now as badly as I want to

I tend to agree.

A legit partnership / semi-merger made absolute sense if it involved OR, WA, AZ, ASU, Utah
It made less sense but could still MAYBE be justified without the NW two but everyone else
But if the NW schools and the AZ schools both go, I dont see enough value, as much as the ACC wants the PAC to survive
Right. The ACC is in no shape to offer any charity. That charity could be the final act that kills the ACC. Anything with any Pac teams must include both Oregon and Washington. Only then can anybody else, even ASU and Utah, be of value to help the ACC. But if we can get that 4some, then Cal and Stanford make sense, and we even could manage taking Arizona. Those 7 could be a nice Pacific wing of the ACC. I would even take them and agree to make the name Atlantic & Pacific Coasts Conference. I think that would stabilize the ACC with more money and better TV exposure nationally.

The ACC is just in a bad spot. There are no easy adds right now. There's not an easily tappable mega market to grab. There's just strategic "maybes" out there. Adding UConn for instance (which I think they should do if at ALL possible) would be easy to justify when the network money is flush and ESPN won't blink at giving them a full share. But when costs are being trimmed, there's a lot more caution and there needs to be a clear and unequivocal immediate value.

Unless the ACC figures out a way that they can gain enough revenue to be able to absorb some sort term speculative plays for the sake of overall strength (UConn, Stanford, Cal, etc), I cant see much to add right now as badly as I want to
There is NO way in Hell that UConn could help the ACC at all. UConn football is nothing even in New England. We already have a total New England dud. Another could kill the ACC. For sure, it woukdmamp up the FSU and Clemson desire to leave ASAP.

With no possibility of landing Oregon and Washington means that the ACC's only move now with taking is to drop dead weights Wake and BC.

Too bad ACC didn't have the foresight or balls to try and poach the Big Ten

Add PSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland and get to 20.

Put Pitt, BC, VaTech, and Cuse with those schools and you have a north and south division (sorry VaTech)

I'm sure if that happened those schools and markets would add enough value to counter whatever the current Big Ten and SEC offer.

Too bad ACC didn't have the foresight or balls to try and poach the Big Ten

Add PSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland and get to 20.

Put Pitt, BC, VaTech, and Cuse with those schools and you have a north and south division (sorry VaTech)

I'm sure if that happened those schools and markets would add enough value to counter whatever the current Big Ten and SEC offer.
Why would the Big 10 teams leave just for the chance to counter what they are already getting in the current Big 10?

With no possibility of landing Oregon and Washington means that the ACC's only move now with taking is to drop dead weights Wake and BC.
If you do that now you are just rewarding FSUs bs behavior. Maybe it's a down the road thing who knows though.

ESPN is Disney's money making machine right now. The layoffs are in line with Disney practices to reduce staff and keep costs lower. Finally, ESPN owns half of the ACCN and SECN. They have a very loud opinion in any transaction affecting either conference.

It *was*. There is a reason why Iger is bringing back Staggs and Mayer and it’s not bc ESPN is good as is.

The talent layoffs were always coming. But ESPN isn’t an endless source of money and has been trending the bad direction now.

Eventually all this nonsense is going to destroy college sports. Young me would shocked hitter little Schlitz are given by old me

Edit hitter should be "how"

I had to leave it this way because I deserve abuse for it

Last edited:
About 75% of the newer on air ESPN people suck, and another 10-15% are barely decent. They should all be replaced.

The talent layoffs and change has been coming for a while. It was way overdue.

Not saying I agree with all the choices, but it’s been coming.

Interesting that state politicos will leave Oregon State and WSU hanging In the wind. Don’t think that would happen in NC or Virginia

Happened in Oklahoma too.

I doubt Warner could pull of that miracle again if UVA were to get in invite somewhere.

North Carolina would be more complicated because at a minimum it's 3 schools involved. Not sure anyone there really cares what happens to Wake, but 4 if they do.

I doubt Warner could pull of that miracle again if UVA were to get in invite somewhere.

North Carolina would be more complicated because at a minimum it's 3 schools involved. Not sure anyone there really cares what happens to Wake, but 4 if they do.

2 Bad Commissioners in a row killed the ACC. When Texas and Oklahoma moved something should have been done.
Sitting around exploring possible options killed the Big East.
The same thing just killed the ACC, someone with marketing experience like our AD should have replaced Swofford about 5 years ago.

Why would the Big 10 teams leave just for the chance to counter what they are already getting in the current Big 10?
It was poorly worded. I didn't mean counter as equal.

I meant counter as in they'd get more from that conference and set up than current offerings.

It appears that the B1G will add UW, OU, Stanford and Cal to complete a 6 team western division. They have Minn, Wisky, Neb, Iowa, illinois and NW for a plains division, Then they have Purdue, IU, MSU, Michigan and OSU in the Great Lakes division. Notre Dame would fit there to fill that out which leaves the east where they currently have PSU, Maryland and Rutgers. They would need 3 more teams to fill that division.

And Umass?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom