ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 158 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

As usual, Twitter chauvinists are saying transfer.

The Olympic and non revenue generating sports haven't mattered in this conversation for decades now. It's why football needs to be its own separate entity while the other sports can play in regional based leagues.
This is the best idea I've heard yet.

Does adding WVU to ACC improve our tv deal?

Would they want to stay in big12 or jump if offered? They are the only team out there that I think adds a name brand in football.

My sympathies, you will now have to travel to Lubbock to support your lady hoopsters. Rest assured , your support will likely be sufficient as Texas Blech has little support, even in Texas.
I barely go to games, and did not renew my ticket this season. Too easy to buy at last minute.

The next play here is that one conference will start to align the mega teams and break away from the nonsense of these also rans altogether. If they keep it in one big 25-30 team league it will start to look like a relegated soccer model. The cultural fits don’t matter anymore. Ohio state, Clemson, Georgia, Bama, Michigan, FSU will all be together soon.
Seems like the most likely end game. Why does tOSU want to share money with Northwestern and Maryland? The greed here knows no end, so I imagine we’re a TV deal cycle or two away from this kind of consolidation.

But one nitpick, it’s not anything like relegation. That involves teams being able to play their way up. This is a cartel, where a privileged group is locked in for perpetuity.

The Olympic and non revenue generating sports haven't mattered in this conversation for decades now. It's why football needs to be its own separate entity while the other sports can play in regional based leagues.
Isn't it the conferences themselves that force all of their teams together in all sports they offer? I don't think there's any NCAA mandate.

For non-revenues in the mega conferences, could they divide themselves into separate geographical Leagues (not divisions)? Put the minimum # of teams in each league for an auto-qualify to the NCAAs and benefit from multiple berths under the larger umbrella, assuming revenue is generated once you get to the televised championship stage.

Add Cal, Stanford, SDSU

Break a broom stick in half and tell Oreg ST and Wash St to fight over the last seat.

Move on.

Next targets would be ND and WVU.

Seems like the most likely end game. Why does tOSU want to share money with Northwestern and Maryland? The greed here knows no end, so I imagine we’re a TV deal cycle or two away from this kind of consolidation.

But one nitpick, it’s not anything like relegation. That involves teams being able to play their way up. This is a cartel, where a privileged group is locked in for perpetuity.
I was just saying relegated model “if” they keep alignment with some also rans. But the rev split will make it impossible so it will never happen. I was just thinking that some schools like Bama go through pretty long droughts and I could see a mega league rotating weakness out

Syracuse probably passes Miami in football viewership if we just string together two or three winning seasons.

CNY casuals were coming in droves. We’re a sports town thats been disserviced by a pompous tone deaf University

I’m a firm believer that disparate revenue sharing of that degree would doom the ACC fast. There could be performance incentives at the margins. But to have a system with a discrepancy of tens of millions from top to bottom is an awful, awful, awful idea.

The B1G did just this with Maryland/Rutgers/Nebraska and will continue it now with Oregon and Washington at a much higher degree. There's got to be a goldilocks area of sharing where it's not as drastic as the twitter/X example but it keeps the FSUs and Clemsons happy.

You can’t add cal and Stanford by themselves as it makes no sense logistically. ND is never coming guys just give it up
Fine, I’m also A-OK with staying as is.

The next play here is that one conference will start to align the mega teams and break away from the nonsense of these also rans altogether. If they keep it in one big 25-30 team league it will start to look like a relegated soccer model. The cultural fits don’t matter anymore. Ohio state, Clemson, Georgia, Bama, Michigan, FSU will all be together soon.
Backed by Saudi money, perfect. Btw I think this was tried in European soccer and there was such a public outcry it fell apart fast.

relevant to the graph you shared.
And yet, where is the conference based? Which state is over-represented? Who has been making the decisions?

Backed by Saudi money, perfect. Btw I think this was tried in European soccer and there was such a public outcry it fell apart fast.
There is an inevitability to it

Do they get their first or does the NFL see the opportunity to create a second tier league using the USFL and XFL as it's foundation?

So far I know NFL has discussed international leagues to date but not a second tier league...

The European soccer version had quite a few different reasons for failing. Plus it was consolidating teams from other pro leagues as opposed to amateur. Now as for the success/outcomes ultimately being the same.. entirely reasonable.

I’m not so sure. I am becoming of the opinion that the ultimate play is to just split off football and basketball with their own collection of teams. Then allow new leagues to develop for non-revenue Olympic sports. I don’t think they care how many teams are in the new $$$ league as long as it’s half of what currently exist. Bigger pie. Bigger cut. More $$$. Fans be damned. And Olympic sports can die a horrible death. They don’t care.

B1G has a great strategy. They keep growing bigger then they can pick up the biggest pieces of other conferences. PAC12 is more vulnerable than ACC. But after B1G picked up biggest PAC12 pieces. The bigger and better B1G can lure best ACC schools to B1G.

Exactly this

The B1G did just this with Maryland/Rutgers/Nebraska and will continue it now with Oregon and Washington at a much higher degree. There's got to be a goldilocks area of sharing where it's not as drastic as the twitter/X example but it keeps the FSUs and Clemsons happy.
But those are examples of schools joining mid-deal. That’s completely different than allocating revenue by random performance standards.

And let’s be real, FSU and Clempson will never be happy until they’re in the SEC.

B1G has a great strategy. They keep growing bigger then they can pick up the biggest pieces of other conferences. PAC12 is more vulnerable than ACC. But after B1G picked up biggest PAC12 pieces. The bigger and better B1G can lure best ACC schools to B1G.
And then kick out the dregs and cull the conference to their liking

I’m not so sure. I am becoming of the opinion that the ultimate play is to just split off football and basketball with their own collection of teams. Then allow new leagues to develop for non-revenue Olympic sports. I don’t think they care how many teams are in the new $$$ league as long as it’s half of what currently exist. Bigger pie. Bigger cut. More $$$. Fans be damned. And Olympic sports can die a horrible death. They don’t care.
I haven’t fully thought through it but the non profit aspects of schools and title ix will play a role here at some point

I was just saying relegated model “if” they keep alignment with some also rans. But the rev split will make it impossible so it will never happen. I was just thinking that some schools like Bama go through pretty long droughts and I could see a mega league rotating weakness out
They’ll never rotate anyone out if there’s a 30-something team super league. Just like the NFL doesn’t rotate out the Lions or whatever. It’s a cartel.

Well the way the dominos might fall it will end up looking just like it does in soccer across the globe even if not how it was conceptualized. Prep programs will essentially become like the junior academy teams and all the mega conference teams are basically a U-20 with good branding.

The leftovers after could organize or just become irrelevant and major sports undertake a massive change in the wrong direction at all levels. The fallout I don't believe will be very pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom