ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 156 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Me and a few others have been arguing for a west coast expansion to the ACC for months but many dismissed the idea and our concerns about the Big 12 outflanking the ACC as the third best conference. Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, ASU and Utah made a ton of sense. Now the Big 10 outplays us and pounces on adding UW and UO (for now) and the sorry Big 12 outflanks the ACC again. The ACC leadership and school presidents are a bunch of fools and have been behind the 8-ball for over a year.
All Coast Conference was the play. The Tobacco Road Mafia has been reactive thinking that 2036 will be enough to keep the lights on. All it takes is 8 schools to say, we're done. Who knows what conversations are being had right now?

It's very silly that you have to play all the same teams in every sport. The sabres play Montreal and the bulls play Kansas City and no one cares even though it's the same people rooting for both teams

Softball players flying thousands of miles is idiotic, who cares if it makes sense for the football team

Flyover state residents now get to take West coast vacations and invade those stadiums. You think when Nebraska visits the Rose Bowl they won't have more fans there than UCLA?

This is going to KILL the West coast schools their fans are going to absolutely hate it and thats for football not the non revenue sports.

Seems like some have claimed it will be three conferences of twenty four teams each. I’d like to think we would be included in those 72 teams. I’m impressed at how the Big 12 after almost dying twice has rose from the dead yet again. ACC should consider adding Penn State and some Big 12 teams
7uuaoy.jpg

USF has the potential to rise up in the B10…… you’re cut off.

Who will have an easier time going 8-4? The middle and bottom of the B18 is weak. The middle of the SEC is still high quality.

GT with SEC or BT money? No telling what it could become once again, because GA has more talent than all the northeastern states combined.
But... everyone has money.

If GT is going to get its act together it would be in the ACC.

I bet they get good again once the UGA program cools off but no idea when/if that happens.

It wasn’t a stroke of genius. At the time, BIG had last pick and ended up with Rutgers. Rutgers would’ve jumped into the sinking Titanic if it had the offer. Snooki is no genius.

Syracuse, Pitt had already been selected by ACC. BIG wasn’t going to take a couch burning institution like WVU or a school that doesn’t believe in academics like Louisville.

Moreover, it wasn't even an option for Cuse to wait it out for a B1G invite. As soon as the ACC mentioned they were exploring expanding, Cuse was at the top of the short list due to the 2003 expansion drama and how close they were.

Would Cuse have been better in the B1G? Sure - but that's such a huge revisionist statement. We were always bound for the ACC.

I don’t personally think that’s a factor for Clemson. No other schools has stayed in their current conference or chose one conference over another b/c the path to winning was easier. Every school that has joined the B10 or SEC recently has made their path to winning at a high level even more difficult. Clemson has been to National championships and beaten SEC teams. I don’t think they’re picking the B10 over the SEC because the path might be easier.
You are probably right. All these Pac 12 teams moving has made it considerably harder on them for success in wins and losses. They are looking at the $.

BC dominated this trash league in football for 6-7 years. They won 10 games every year until Clemson got good.

UNC and Miami being perennial frauds and always losing 6 games is what crippled the league.
What?!

BC, in their first 5 years in the ACC (through 2009), went 6-2 once and 5-3 4 times. They have not been above .500 since. That's hardly domination.

Last edited:
Who will have an easier time going 8-4? The middle and bottom of the B18 is weak. The middle of the SEC is still high quality.

USF can go 8-4 and nobody cares. FSU has largely been terrible for a decade and they still average over 2 million viewers a game. USF avgs ~ 500k.

Ok, you’re officially done. Not sure why I responded.

Everyone gets caught up on the question of money vs athletic success, when it's painfully obvious that moolah is the only issue on the table.
Watching all this is like watching a fever take hold- I mean tradition, geography, loyalty, student's wellbeing, all of that goes out the window...for a few dollars more.
When the fever breaks, we'll see what colleges have wrought w/ these moves.
Personally, baseball lost me years ago. My love for all things SU is eternal, so I'll keep watching when we're involved. But honestly, this makes my remaining a college football fan especially, an unlikely task. I feel like I'm at that moment in a relationship when you realize that a breakup is inevitable. You start to withdraw a little every day, until it finally happens. -sigh-

Last edited:
You are probably right. All these Pac 12 teams moving has made it considerably harder on them for success in wins and losses. They are looking at the $.

Either way, there’s one thing I know about expansion. Nobody knows what’s going to happen next or when. And when one thing happens in a way nobody expected it then leads to more moves nobody expected.

GT with SEC or BT money? No telling what it could become once again, because GA has more talent than all the northeastern states combined.
GT with ACC money and Georgia recruits haven’t made them successful in the ACC so far, why would more money (but equal to everyone they’re playing) and harder competition make them any more successful?

The sad part is these schools don’t care 1 iota about athletes in the Olympic and non-revenue sports. Be damned, fly across the country for a weekend softball series in Michigan in April in 40 degree weather and you'll like it.
It is going to really stink when teams travel 3000 miles and the game gets canceled due to bad weather.

What a mess the ‘adults’ have made for the athletes.

Why would Duke and GT be ahead of Syracuse? Duke has a trash football brand and GT hasn’t been relevant for as long as Syracuse. Syracuses fan base is much larger than GT and doesn’t butt up against the much more lucrative Georgia brand. Picking up GT doesn’t win you any additional market share and interest.
TV Viewership in ACC from 2015 til 2022 is ranked in the following:

ND(3.5M), Clemson, FSU, Miami, Louisville, VPI(1.0M) all average 7 figures in that order.
UNC(800k), Pitt, NC State, Cuse(650k), GT, UVA(544k) all average over 500k in that order.
Wake(435k), BC, and Duke(320k) round out the bottom.

It's very silly that you have to play all the same teams in every sport. The sabres play Montreal and the bills play Kansas City and no one cares even though it's the same people rooting for both teams

Softball players flying thousands of miles is idiotic, who cares if it makes sense for the football team
Bingo. It’d be a million times better for college athletics if schools aligned themselves by sport. Have big ol’ nonsensical mega-leagues for football, and let everything else be geographically and culturally relevant.

Syracuse’s slow decline in virtually every measurable - academics and athletics - over the last 25 years couldn’t have been less timely.

Rutgers is beating us. Objectively. Their move to the B10 was a stroke of genius and a miracle.

Awful time. Hate that the P12 is gone also - that’s very sad.
We are a brand. We will be fine. We are in the top half of the ACC in eyeballs. It’s some of the legacy ACC schools that might need to be worried.

They’d be a doormat.

I don’t know how people can look at the paltry on field results of schools that have switched leagues for the money and still think that all it takes is money to be good.

USF can go 8-4 and nobody cares. FSU has largely been terrible for a decade and they still average over 2 million viewers a game. USF avgs ~ 500k.

USF has averaged about 350k viewers since 2015. Last year they were brutal and drew 81k/game. Hahaha

In the SEC FSU would be relegated to Tier 3 TV.

We are a brand. We will be fine. We are in the top half of the ACC in eyeballs. It’s some of the legacy ACC schools that might need to be worried.
10th in Football viewership since 2015. 6th last year.

USF has averaged about 350k viewers since 2015. Last year they were brutal and drew 81k/game. Hahaha

I was trying to be nice and used the results I saw from 2021 lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom