ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 184 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Does anyone else have a feeling that USC will become the Miami of the B1G? Miami was a feared FB power, until they moved to the ACC. Miami has only played in 1 ACC Championship game ever, in 2017, and was trounced by Clemson, 38-3. And they were in the "easy" Coastal division all that time.

Would take SMU. Dallas/FW will be the third largest metro area in the country in ten years.

Tons of money. Tons.

Add Stanford and Cal as well.

FSU can go. They go the SEC, they are mid. Same with the B1G. They’re part of the reason the ACC is second tier.

Think of Clemson without Dabo? Betting the house? Anyone?
The Dabo point is strong. Clemson fans act like they have this elite history. When Dabo leaves they sink. Fast.

Rutgers doesn’t have the backing SMU does.

It’s also in NJ.
You completely missed the sarcasm. Nobody claimed Rutgers was a better choice. The comment was in response to a specific comment regarding SMU becoming a good P5 team if given time. That’s it, nothing more.

Besides, with my historical disdain towards Rutgers it should be clear that I in no way support Rutgers unless they agree to dump their entire athletics department and pay back the student fees, etc.

Last edited:

Apologies if it has been posted but it’s really that simple

Not simple at all. If we break up all the conferences how will Oregon and Rutgers play their yearly rivalry game. We need these conferences, who are deeply rooted in history and tradition, to survive. CFB would be unrecognizable if conferences didn’t exist…….

You completely missed the sarcasm. Nobody claimed Rutgers was a better choice. The comment was in response to a specific comment regarding SMU becoming a good P5 team if given time. That’s it, nothing more.

Besides, with my historical disdain towards Rutgers it should be clear that I in no way support Rutgers unless they agree to dump their entire athletics department and pay back the student fees, etc.

Public apology, good sir.

Public apology, good sir.
Not necessary, you are a good, passionate Orange fan and I enjoy your comments. I was making a wisecrack referencing Rutgers perpetual “we are improving, we just need time” mantra. Obviously, I failed to garner the chuckle.

I probably should have used the “official” site sarcasm FoNt.

I do not remember seeing anything. Where did you see this reported or is this inside information?

Only thing I saw was this on Friday that fired me up because it was already too late.

“The ACC was reportedly considering adding five-to-seven schools from the Pac-12 before the Big Ten and Big 12 swooped in and put the Pac-12 on life support.

Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports reported ACC officials "were scheduled to meet" Friday night to further discuss the conference's expansion plans after the Big Ten added Oregon and Washington and the Big 12 accepted Arizona State, Arizona and Utah as new members.”

I did not see any other reports about ACC speaking with PAC teams.
Oregon and Washington were dying to go to the B1G. But the feeling was not mutual. Then at the last minute the Big Ten "re-engaged". Maybe the offer was raised. That was enough for the 2 Northwest schools. They accepted quickly.

In a statement put out in the past day or so, the WSU president said he was "shocked" on Friday, as he was sure that the PAC-9 was signing up for their TV deal that day. The ASU president said the same thing--that league members were sitting down Friday morning to accept the deal, but 2 members did not show up. (Guess who!)

I flashed back to seven years ago and the saga of Mark Coyle. He was scheduled to attend a meeting of ACC AD's. He didn't show because he was in Minneapolis being introduced as the new Minnesota AD. Blindsided the whole SU athletics department. That is likely how the PAC group felt when UO and UW left them hanging.

The point is, once the B1G came calling, UO and UW were gone. And once they were gone the rest of the league crumbled. Nothing the ACC could have done about it.

Last edited:
Look, I need to take a break from this stuff. But if you are trying to talk yourselves into this being a positive development. Just know, I have not seen any positive talk from any national media today. Every prominent media member thinks the ACC is nuts even discussing these potential moves. They think the ACC is a joke. So not only did we hurt ourselves in actual expansion, but now the ACC comes off as a laughing stock adding programs left for dead.

Oregon and Washington were dying to go to the B1G. Bud the feeling was not mutual. Then at the last minute the Big Ten "re-engaged". Maybe the offer was raised. That was enough for the 2 Northwest schools. They accepted quickly.

In a statement put out in the past day or so, the WSU president said he was "shocked" on Friday, as he was sure that the PAC-9 was signing up for their TV deal that day. The ASU president said the same thing--that league members we sitting down Friday morning to accept the teal, but 2 members did not show up. (Guess who!)

I flashed back to seven years ago and the saga of Mark Coyle. He was scheduled to attend a meeting of ACC AD's. He didn't show because he was in Minneapolis being introduced as the new Minnesota AD. Blindsided the whole SU athletics department. That is likely how the PAC group felt when UO and UW left them hanging.

The point is, once the B1G came calling, UO and UW were gone. And once they were gone the rest of the league crumbled. Nothing the ACC could have done about it.
Nothing the ACC could have done about it? It’s been everywhere the past 9 months how the PACs media deal was non existent and there was no details available anywhere. The schools were not hearing any values being discussed. There was smoke everywhere. Big 12 obviously saw the writing on the wall. Guess what the Big 12 didn’t do? They didn’t sit around and decide to gather to discuss expansion after the fact. They did this proactively and had a plan for when the PAC deal fell apart that everyone had discussed for months.

Not having foresight and the inability to cultivate a proactive plan is doing nothing. And that’s exactly what the ACC did.

This is so true. Conferences are being set up solely based on a sport (football) that plays 12 games a season playing once a week. Yet every other sport the conference effects plays many more games and more times a week.

Wow, I’m at a loss. The ACC is just so inept. I really had high hopes for Phillips. Thought he was a great hire, but the vision of him and the ACC leaders have been abysmal.

You add 2 teams on the West Coast that were left at the curb by the Big10 and Big 12? It made sense if there was a small pod out there with traveling partners. At this point, it makes 0 sense.

People keep saying the schools that went to Big12 and Big10 didn’t want the ACC? Have you been paying attention? The first report of ACC actually meeting to discuss taking 6-7 PAC schools was on Friday afternoon when everyone was already committing to everyone!!!

The ACC once again had no foresight and was behind the 8 ball. Now, they feel desperate and they are going to add teams just to add teams. This will never work. And SMU? This is all a sick joke. SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma. Big10 adds Houston, UC, UCF, BYU. Then Big 10 adds USC, UCLA. Then Big 12 works hard continuously and finally snags Colorado. Big 10 grabs UW and UO when they beg because of the bad contract. So Big 12 then responds and grabs UA, ASU, Utah.

ACC finally decides to call a meeting and discuss expansion. LETS GRAB THE LEFTOVERS!!! 14 teams off the board, now is the time to go fishing!!!!

This is college sports. We aren’t the IVY league. We are not here to celebrate and give money for the acedemic side of things. This isn’t an Academic Decathalon. It’s high major sports and the ACC continues to do things small and slow. This conference is on life support and there is no one to blame but itself and its lack of foresight. Imo the ACC looks even worse with these reports and if they do go ahead and add these teams. It would have been better if they just sat out and said this was the plan, and look to the expand in 2031 when the Big12 contract hits the market. There is a very good chance the Big12 will not sign a good contract. No big time programs and all the networks will be looking to get SEC and Big 10. The money will dry up and the Big12 should be ripe for the picking.
Your points are good but they are not fact based.
First the ACC has been actively looking for about 2 years.
Second and this is the salient point, the ACC cant do anything without support and agreement from its media partner ESPN which passed on the PAC when it was in the drivers seat once the LA market was lost.
If the ACC can pick up the media markets tied to Cal, Stanford and SMU in an accretive transaction it is absolutely a good move.
As to making additional moves in 2031 im in complete agreement with you and believe that will happen as by then ESPN will be in a much better financial position. Remember without buy in from ESPN the ACC cant do anything.
ESPN and its Parent company are going through a massive restructuring, shedding cost, looking to sell assets and enter into strategic partnerships.
When corporations are in the middle of this process it is extremely difficult and potentially harmful to do anything but cost cut.
I find it encouraging that the ACC is potentially in position to add three great academic/athletic schools and their media markets given the current position our media partner is in. Very encouraging as it points to a well thought out accretive transaction.

sutomcat has mentioned it a couple times in this thread. But below is a screen shot of projections through 2031. ACC will have a higher contract amount per team the entire Big 12 contract. Not to mention what the ACC network fees could have garnered in more markets would have raised that more.

Obviously we do not know what will happen in 2031. It’s possible Big12 signs a bigger contract. I just don’t see how that’s possible with both SEC and Big 10 coming due and no big time “flagship” programs in Big 12.

Big 10 expires - 2030
SEC expires - 2034 (signed this ESPN contact 4 years early)
Big 12 - 2031

View attachment 229997
Please stop with the facts:)

Look, I need to take a break from this stuff. But if you are trying to talk yourselves into this being a positive development. Just know, I have not seen any positive talk from any national media today. Every prominent media member thinks the ACC is nuts even discussing these potential moves. They think the ACC is a joke. So not only did we hurt ourselves in actual expansion, but now the ACC comes off as a laughing stock adding programs left for dead.
No they dont.

Please stop with the facts:)
I’m less concerned about the Big 12’s contract competitively and more concerned about the B1G competitively targeting prime ACC schools offering greener pastures which results in a chain reaction of other schools leaving to the SEC because ACC product becomes diluted.

Because the rich teams don’t want to share, Chip. They have an advantage and won’t do what’s best for all. “It just means more”

There are a lot of posters who seem to think the ACC should add teams so it looks like we are doing something while the projected $ added by these teams doesn’t outweigh the cost of travel.

It’s simple. There’s no move to make that is a big swing.

The VA and NC politicians will stay out of it if Tech and NCSU have soft places to land, i.e. whichever superconference doesn't get UVa and UNC gets Tech and NCSU..
Everything being relatively equal on the financial side, I am sticking to my assertion that UVa and UNC would choose the SEC over the B1G. (and I hope it never comes to that, even as we approach 2036)

I may be wrong, but it won't be because the Wahoos are proximate to or have a rivalry with Maryland. They could not give 2 ships (<-with a "t") about the Terps.

Last edited:
Everything being relatively equal on the financial side, I am sticking to my assertion that UVa and UNC would choose the SEC over the B1G. (and I hope it never comes to that, even as we approach 2036)

I may be wrong, but it won't be because they are proximate to or have a rivalry with Maryland. They could not give 2 ships (<-with a "t") about the Terps.
We’re never going to be the SEC. Grab St John’s Villanova UConn and Gonzaga before B12 does. Protect basketball and renew old rivalries. Agree to add Uconn football in three years. Won’t cost all that much for Basketball only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom