ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 186 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Forget Stanford and Cal. The ACC should look to the Big 12. Kansas, Oklahoma State, Cincy and West Virginia. The travel isn't insane either; a flight from Stillwater to Raleigh is 2.5 hours.

If they wanted to get into Texas they could look at Baylor or the others; Houston, Texas Tech, TCU.

Good mix of football and basketball in mostly good markets and there's value in that. Doesn't prevent the inevitable breakup but it's better than nothing.

All those schools are under a GOR right now and not moveable.

Can I ask why the fascination with SMU? I don’t know anything about the school. But from afar it strikes me as a small-ish private school that likely doesn’t have a large fan base. I get that it’s in Dallas, but I also assume there are far more UT, aTm and Oklahoma fans in Dallas than SMU.
The Pony Express is not walking through that door.

Yeah, I mean I get that middle age dudes remember their success in the early 1980s. Aside from that I don’t really get it.

Yeah, I mean I get that middle age dudes remember their success in the early 1980s. Aside from that I don’t really get it.

Has to be the TVs and recruiting area. can't think of anything else.

They are in the Dallas market. That’s all I got. And adding 3 more teams makes it harder for the disgruntled bunch to dissolve the GOR

Aw A
Has to be the TVs and recruiting area. can't think of anything else.
The dumb, super rich kids in my son’s private high school out here in Zona all seem to gravitate to SMU. It’s supposed to be a country club and very easy. Kids get coddled - rich mom and dad are happy. I’m told it’s the kind of campus where BMW’s are the starter cars.

That’s all I got re SMU.

There was an ACC merger proposal presented to the PAC 12 schools in the same meeting where the Apple deal was presented.

That means the ACC literally made a proactive formal offer to the PAC 12 before anyone left.

I don’t know how many times this can be repeated before I chalk up not believing it as willful ignorance.
Where is this exactly located? Because I have seen no mention of this at all. I would be happy to say I’m wrong.

These were the last options given to everyone the morning of. No mention of ACC merger.

Go back and look at every article ever written about potential merger. Everyone always said it made sense but there was never actual real discussions about it and it was never brought up at this meeting at this meeting.

Thamel reported there were some talks, but they were never substantive. There was never a real or firm offer. It was always just talk.

I have yet to see any firm/concrete offer that was extended or offered to the PAC.

Another note on the value of Cal - it has triple the alumni base compared to Syracuse - and its alumni are very affluent - and national in scope. The kind advertisers want to attract.

While its football is as bad or worse than ours - it definitely is a brand - far better than most of the schools in the B12. IMO.
True but dive deeper

How many are hardcore sports fans?

Can I ask why the fascination with SMU? I don’t know anything about the school. But from afar it strikes me as a small-ish private school that likely doesn’t have a large fan base. I get that it’s in Dallas, but I also assume there are far more UT, aTm and Oklahoma fans in Dallas than SMU.

Long term they seem like a poor add. They get the ACC into the Dallas market and the ACCN into Texas. I rather see the ACC add Texas Tech and whomever makes the best sense from TCU/Baylor/Houston long term using 2029's data. Adding SMU would seem to be giving up a B12 raid.

The only way it makes sense is if the ACC is looking to be a national academic minded conference.

They are one of the very few private schools that are a cultural, competitive and financial fit. They would open up a major tv market and expand recruiting exposure in Texas. They have financial wherewithal ((and political clout) that SU can only dream about . They have more potential to resurrect past greatness than at least half the current ACC, including Miami.

They are in the Dallas market. That’s all I got. And adding 3 more teams makes it harder for the disgruntled bunch to dissolve the GOR

What about Houston [UH]? Like the 4th biggest population city in the US, great hoops program, sleeping giant football program, partner for SMU.

The Streaming bubble is also bursting. A lot of this big money may be gone in a decade. Then what do these nonsensical conferences do?
They cry to Congress to bail them out

The American Way ;-)

Where is this exactly located? Because I have seen no mention of this at all. I would be happy to say I’m wrong.

These were the last options given to everyone the morning of. No mention of ACC merger.

Go back and look at every article ever written about potential merger. Everyone always said it made sense but there was never actual real discussions about it and it was never brought up at this meeting at this meeting.

Thamel reported there were some talks, but they were never substantive. There was never a real or firm offer. It was always just talk.

I have yet to see any firm/concrete offer that was extended or offered to the PAC.
FWIW, some of the people responding in this thread, maybe even the very poster you are responding to, actually do this kind of stuff for a living.

TCU-ish?

You are no better than the American Athletic with this bunch. You've become their peer.
Not saying I totally support this but...
If these powerful schools retain a guaranteed spot in the playoff...this would be a good consolation prize.

Might even convince Nova to add Football and bring in Georgetown and St John's for BB

So then just tossing it out there would Oregon St and Wazzu take 30-40 pct or less to form a western division then? The travel for just two west coast schools just seems asinine.

If the brought all four schools, then those schools would have the three games against each other, 2 home games with other ACC members and 2 away games with other ACC members, plus 1 more either way. It could work.

Not saying I totally support this but...
If these powerful schools retain a guaranteed spot in the playoff...this would be a good consolation prize.

Might even convince Nova to add Football and bring in Georgetown and St John's for BB
I would rather be part of a reconstituted ACC that the monstrosity that some call the B12. Few rivalries or history, lots of schools I have no interest in visiting or watching play.

ACC II might not be bad at all. So many variables.

But I think it is likely the conference survives and will be a third option for Syracuse (besides the B12 and football independence/BE for Olympic sports).

T
What about Houston [UH]? Like the 4th biggest population city in the US, great hoops program, sleeping giant football program, partner for SMU.
That would rock but that ship has sailed for the time being

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom