ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 187 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I'm a proud alum but lumping us under the academic oriented schools seems like our PR spin. Only in the world of college athletics does Rice, SMU, Stanford and Cal give two thoughts about us academically.
SU needs to work with NYS and get Upstate and ESF back under SU oversight as two state supported institutions. Like what Cornell has.

Look back into that VA teaching hospital too and ramp up the STEM too

A bit strange, but true: SU has played Stanford just once in the revenue sports.
Never in football. And just once in hoops.
  • A 69-93 victory in the NIT Season Tip-Off at MSG in Nov. 2011 (Johnny Dawkins was Stanford HC).

This was early in the 30-1 regular season year. An early test.

Not saying I totally support this but...
If these powerful schools retain a guaranteed spot in the playoff...this would be a good consolation prize.

Might even convince Nova to add Football and bring in Georgetown and St John's for BB
So back to the old Big East before it all fell apart? Basketball schools without football programs. Nova to get to the FBS level has to spend money it doesn't have.

What about Houston [UH]? Like the 4th biggest population city in the US, great hoops program, sleeping giant football program, partner for SMU.
They're in the new Big 12.

Yeah, I mean I get that middle age dudes remember their success in the early 1980s. Aside from that I don’t really get it.

They are in the Dallas market. That’s all I got. And adding 3 more teams makes it harder for the disgruntled bunch to dissolve the GOR

They are one of the very few private schools that are a cultural, competitive and financial fit. They would open up a major tv market and expand recruiting exposure in Texas. They have financial wherewithal ((and political clout) that SU can only dream about . They have more potential to resurrect past greatness than at least half the current ACC, including Miami.
One of our board gurus said that taking SMU suddenly boosts the ACCN carriage rate in DFW from $.03 per subscriber to $1.01 per subscriber. I could easily be wrong, but I think that would be for both cable and streaming. For many with cable, the ACCN is part of a premium sports package they're already getting.

I'd wait on the Houston market. Rice is great academics wise but athletics wise they suck and have a small fanbase

Better to wait and grab TCU or Baylor in 2029.

Great in baseball.

Nice stadium, too [as you know] -- but yeah, subpar for both revenue generating sports.

So back to the old Big East before it all fell apart? Basketball schools without football programs. Nova to get to the FBS level has to spend money it doesn't have.
826...this was in response to going more Magnolia League

Look at my comments in that vane

The league would be the smallest guy at the Big Boy table but if it is still guaranteed a playoff spot it might be a way for academically minded athletes to compete at a rather high level.

Just Spit Ballin as I think this is our last resort

I would rather be part of a reconstituted ACC that the monstrosity that some call the B12. Few rivalries or history, lots of schools I have no interest in visiting or watching play.

ACC II might not be bad at all. So many variables.

But I think it is likely the conference survives and will be a third option for Syracuse (besides the B12 and football independence/BE for Olympic sports).

It will be interesting to see how paying players fits in.

The SEC I think all but Vandy would be fine with it. Which makes Vandy a potential long term ACC add.

The B1G there a lot of question marks as to who may or may not stay.

The ACC will be interesting as well. Does that keep Notre Dame, UNC, UVA in the ACC? Paying players might be what keeps the ACC together, outside of FSU for sure, Clemson/Miami/Louisville likely, and maybe VA Tech.

Which could make the ACC...

Notre Dame, BC, SU, Pitt
UVA, UNC, NC State, Duke
Vandy, Wake, GA Tech, Tulane
SMU, Rice, Stanford, Cal

They're in the new Big 12.

I think what was lost in all this madness was that UCF, BYU, Houston and Cincy were added to the Big 12 to actually get them to 12 after Texas/Oklahoma left.

Those 4 schools might end up being the biggest winners in expansion (along with Rutgers & Maryland).

I'd wait on the Houston market. Rice is great academics wise but athletics wise they suck and have a small fanbase

I think TCU would be pointless if you have SMU.

Baylor some schools won't want because of religious affiliation. Which might make Houston more attractive.

But if you need a 2nd Texas school, IMO Texas Tech is nest due to the size of the school and the on field/court success.

Wazzu is left in the cold despite having somewhat of a football revival. They built new facilities, hired a name coach and produced some ranked teams. Bottom line is that the football world did not change their image of them.
Is this relevant to Cuse football? If our football team improve before the ACC implosion will anyone care?

Last edited:
I can't see FSU getting the votes for the B1G. And even if they did, it would be at a reduced share. I think the same applies to the SEC in regards to votes and share. So FSU would be paying the ACC a ton of money so they can make the same amount of money? Or they can wait 10 years and actually have it be a money maker.

I just don't see where they can go right now.

If they do leave I wouldn't mind the ACC pulling a St Louis Spirits on them. Tell them they can leave for $450M instead of $600M but the ACC gets a 7th of FSU's conference revenue for perpetuity. They seem desperate enough to accept.

If there is some kind of general plan to get into TX, it should nit be done now, not even 1 step. U unless that is required fiscally now. SMU added will not only not make FSU and Clemson sigh in relief, but will push them harder towards the door even if it brigs more money to the league. I think the only real value in having SMU, even with its many rich alums would use NIL to buy all kinds of players if SMU were back in a Major conference, is pared with TCU - two teams in the DFW TV market that have played fopoptball more than 100 times against each other.

And then go big in TX with Baylor and TTU and possibly Houston. To keep in regionally, Ok St has a huge number of alums living in TX and has great facilities for most sports thanks to T Boone Pickens money. A southwest branch of the ACC makes much more sense in every way than wasting time on Cal and Stanford.

Of course, I still say drop Wake and BC and replace that pair with WVU and Cincy. If all surviving Power leagues are going to be huge, then that 14 is the best we can do in EST, and 6 member SW group would be a very nice addition.

I think TCU would be pointless if you have SMU.

Baylor some schools won't want because of religious affiliation. Which might make Houston more attractive.

But if you need a 2nd Texas school, IMO Texas Tech is nest due to the size of the school and the on field/court success.
Hot, old rivalries always make good sports TV, and TCU-SMU is hot, and everybody in DFW who cares at all about college sports knows it.

SU needs to work with NYS and get Upstate and ESF back under SU oversight as two state supported institutions. Like what Cornell has.

Look back into that VA teaching hospital too and ramp up the STEM too
I cannot agree with you more Mark. Our rep is fading. Academically and athletically. When I was on the Hill we were lumped in academically with the BC's and USC's of the world. Academics matter also - even to the B10. They certainly matter to me and to my Dad as alums.

Hot, old rivalries always make good sports TV, and TCU-SMU is hot, and everybody in DFW who cares at all about college sports knows it.

I have never watched a TCU-SMU game and I would bet 99.9% of the country is the same.

TCU adds no new market, they add no new State, they have a small fanbase.

I cannot agree with you more Mark. Our rep is fading. Academically and athletically. When I was on the Hill we were lumped in academically with the BC's and USC's of the world. Academics matter also - even to the B10. They certainly matter to me and to my Dad as alums.
Don’t worry we are the #1 party school.

IMO only, I think Clemson is toast once Dabo is gone.

Agree with your take.
Not toast but yes they could slide back a rung. 80K fans in the stands says they'll still be a player

It has a really nice campus and is a popular school for fairly bright upper middle class kids along the east coast

Not toast but yes they could slide back a rung. 80K fans in the stands says they'll still be a player

It has a really nice campus and is a popular school for fairly bright upper middle class kids along the east coast

Yeah, that's what I should have said. Not some basement-dweller, but solid, not elite team.

Surprised a school like Memphis hasn't been mentioned as a potential expansion team. Football and basketball have been good. Regionally makes sense
Memphis is a dangerous city and the school academic wise is not that great

On the plus side it is a great weekend get away, good air travel and a bridge to SMU. Sports in the Big 2 aports are solid and the Liberty Bowl is being modernized and the BB is played in an NBA arena.

The west makes sense if you bridge it with the Midwest. It’s what would have allowed the PAC to still be a conference had they done it themselves. The only way to differentiate is to have a presence in markets/timezones the SEC and B1G aren’t in.

That’s the way the ACC collectively should be looking at this. It’s not just about preserving a P5 seat it’s about surviving as a conference at all.
If we add Stanford and Cal

The ACC should look at adding either SDSU or UNLV to go with SMU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom