ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 199 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

So it appears Syracuse is a YES Vote for Cal, Stanford, and SMU

While no official Vote has been taken (because you don't call for a vote unless you know the outcome of it), 4 schools are against it (FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA) and that would shoot this down. So it appears that Cal, Stanford, and SMU to the ACC is DOA

I was also listening to a BIG 10 podcast yesterday and they said when the Big 10 does go to 20, it won't be west coast teams it will be 2 ACC teams. And they said it won't be FSU/Clemson as they are SEC schools, so this would make sense if UNC/UVA have had backroom talks with the Big 10 and there is something brewing there.

These 4 schools are going to bolt at their earliest convenience. I also think FSU does better than Clemson who again in my opinion drops a significant tier once Dabo rides on.

Ok so long term the ACC needs to add 4 schools. The question is who is added.

Ok so long term the ACC needs to add 4 schools. The question is who is added.
“Long term” is likely 7-10 years from now, since that’s when the financial impact of the GoR gets small enough to make conference hopping palatable for UNC, UVA, FSU and Clemson.

It’s hardly worth speculating what happens to the ACC then, since it’s very possible the whole thing disintegrates.

If the B1G and SEC want to become 24-32 team leagues then the ACC has more schools that’ll be candidates.

Like I keep saying, I have a strong hunch that SU’s choice from years now will be between joining the Big 12 holding conference, or joining/forming a northeastern regional league and going indie for football.

While no official Vote has been taken (because you don't call for a vote unless you know the outcome of it), 4 schools are against it (FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA) and that would shoot this down. So it appears that Cal, Stanford, and SMU to the ACC is DOA

I was also listening to a BIG 10 podcast yesterday and they said when the Big 10 does go to 20, it won't be west coast teams it will be 2 ACC teams. And they said it won't be FSU/Clemson as they are SEC schools, so this would make sense if UNC/UVA have had backroom talks with the Big 10 and there is something brewing there.

"Virginia positioning itself well"

Sounds like pre-season coach-speak.

I'm thinking that the negotiations for voting in new members is being used as leverage by the 4 teams who have SEC/B1G. offers to allow them to decrease the amount to exit their GOR.

The GOR is unbreakable. But if those traitor schools do try to leave the conference, they’re all gonna pay through the teeth in exit fees and lose their media rights for the next decade. I can’t imagine the Big 10 or SEC wants to get involved with that legal mess or open themselves up to tortious interference.

Last edited:
FSU and Clemson would be wise to stay in the ACC and be the big dogs. That’s what Oregon was supposedly aiming for with the PAC 12 once USC and UCLA bolted. They thought they could be the PAC 12 big dogs and make the playoffs most years, but then the TV deal was bad and the conference collapsed. These schools like Clemson and FSU are overly concerned with revenue gaps (with perceived rivals from other conferences) instead of focusing on staying competitive. Money doesn’t solve all your problems. Despite their athletic department riches, FSU has failed to dominate the ACC for nearly a decade now. They’re going to get totally lost in the SEC if they try to join that conference. They’ll never win championships there and the fans will be apoplectic. It makes zero sense to go to these bloated conferences but schools are mind-numbingly focused on the money over, you know, actual winning, not placing a travel burden on student athletes, and maintaining rivalries and fan interest.

These 4 schools are going to bolt at their earliest convenience. I also think FSU does better than Clemson who again in my opinion drops a significant tier once Dabo rides on.
Clemson will be fine as long as Dabo is there. Long term I think both suck if they end up in the Big or SEC.

FSU and Clemson would be wise to stay in the ACC and be the big dogs. That’s what Oregon was supposedly aiming for with the PAC 12 once USC and UCLA bolted. They thought they could be the PAC 12 big dogs and make the playoffs most years, but then the TV deal was bad and the conference collapsed. These schools like Clemson and FSU are overly concerned with revenue gaps (with perceived rivals from other conferences) instead of focusing on staying competitive. Money doesn’t solve all your problems. Despite their athletic department riches, FSU has failed to dominate the ACC for nearly a decade now. They’re going to get totally lost in the SEC if they try to join that conference. They’ll never win championships there and the fans will be apoplectic. It makes zero sense to go to these bloated conferences but schools are mind-numbingly focused on the money over, you know, actual winning, not placing a travel burden on student athletes, and maintaining rivalries and fan interest.
Just look at Auburn for the last decade. Buckets of money and it didn't do them well. SEC is a meatgrinder and all the money in the world doesn't make you more competitive/better than other schools.

This is actually not an insane post. Mora has been a miracle worker.
He really has been. I never thought I'd see UConn in a bowl game so fast. I get that the schedule is weak but he is building something. Problem for UConn is that Mora will bolt the first chance he gets.

He really has been. I never thought I'd see UConn in a bowl game so fast. I get that the schedule is weak but he is building something. Problem for UConn is that Mora will bolt the first chance he gets.
NC State beat UConn 41-10 in Raleigh last year but they only beat East Carolina by 1 on the road to open the season.

Crazier things have happened. It would be good for UConn if the game was playing in a driving rain and hail storm. With winds over 50 mph.

You just answered why the ACC will not add UConn in your own post.
"Adding mediocre football teams are not going to move the needle."
I think it's also a counter productive chess move in the future if we do end up having to hunt a landing spot in the BIG 12 or BIG 10. Why build up a near peer geographic program we might have to compete with later on to save our own skin?

Life rafts full. Let them float on their door and die.

Don't think the "implosion" of rights will necessarily happen, but once all schools are judged on how much money fans will pay to subscribe to their games there will be a reshuffling.

And at that point, especially with the P2 and friends removing the Men's Basketball post season from the NCAA in 2032 when those rights are up, a subscription in Feb and March will be as valuable as a subscription in October. It's all subscribers and revenue as a commodity not a sport.

Why this isn't being leveraged vs. the drive the bus conversation seems to be a strategic mistake from the University.

To me UVA leaving the ACC is ridiculous. Their football program is one of the worst draws in the ACC. I get they have great Academics, but they’ll be Rutgers 2.0 in that league.
Thinking about it, you do need door mats for easy wins for so I guess it makes sense to have FCS level competition in the conference so long as it bring in a new market

Just look at Auburn for the last decade. Buckets of money and it didn't do them well. SEC is a meatgrinder and all the money in the world doesn't make you more competitive/better than other schools.
Great example. I think conference expansion may reverse once the TV money flatlines or plateaus in the next few years (it’s already happening). Fans want to compete for and win championships. That’s all that matters and a lot harder to do in these bloated conferences. The ACC would be wise to back channel with Penn State and try to sell their administration on coming in and being one of the top dogs in the ACC along with FSU and Clemson. More money doesn’t always guarantee winning (see: Texas, Auburn, FSU, Nebraska, etc), and with so many premier programs in just two conferences, major football schools are getting lost in the shuffle and are struggling to win big. The sales pitch should be: Penn State would be back playing old rivals on the East Coast, they’ll be no crazy West Coast trips for all their Olympic sports teams, it’ll be easier to make the playoffs and conference title game not having to deal with Ohio State, Michigan, etc., and since they’ll be playing some southern schools, it’ll be easier to pull in recruits from those states. Oh, and the ACC TV contract will get a serious increase, bringing it closer to the Big 10.

Last edited:

Have to think that JW knows exactly what’s going on here. I think it’s all about positioning one’s self for the next round of expansion.

To me UVA leaving the ACC is ridiculous. Their football program is one of the worst draws in the ACC. I get they have great Academics, but they’ll be Rutgers 2.0 in that league.

Since no in-state kids can get into UVa anymore those B1G schools will want all the kids out of VA and the recruits that come with them.

Well, I still think this group of UNC, UVA, Clemson & FSU's commitment (long term) to the ACC is "stronger than oak." ;);)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom