ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 227 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

The ACC would allow them to program build but they don’t bring anything to the ACC table that be fits us. Doesn’t help long term imo. For kicks and giggles even if they deliver the Dallas market that’s 3 million TV homes. Temple would technically deliver more.

I’ve gotten too old to really care. I can see the logic, it’s a rich kid school (Temple isn’t ) that has the type of profile that fits. They can likely cast a net and get players. If not whatever …

I’ve gotten too old to really care. I can see the logic, it’s a rich kid school (Temple isn’t ) that has the type of profile that fits. They can likely cast a net and get players. If not whatever …

Honestly I’m too old to care either and I actually don’t. The what if game is fun to kick around though. At this point if it collapses I’m cool with a hoop only school back in the big east. And lax is my favorite anyway.

But when I see some of these schools mentioned I laugh. None of us should care that SMU has money and rich alums and how the ACC would allow them to build a great program. That’s junk it doesn’t help us at all. Good for them, not us. Adding them does nothing to help the ACC.

Last edited:
I absolutely think UConn is the play here. I think they are a definite target of the big 12, and I’d like to keep that conference out of the east coast.

They burnt too many bridges in the ACC. It would take a total collapse of the ACC for them to get in.

The ACC would allow them to program build but they don’t bring anything to the ACC table that be fits us. Doesn’t help long term imo. For kicks and giggles even if they deliver the Dallas market that’s 3 million TV homes. Temple would technically deliver more.
It would appear to me that the DFW metro area, which loves all things football about as much as I love Hoffman’s white natural casing snappy grillers should be a more welcome addition to the ACC through SMU than we may otherwise be led to believe. Whereas the PHL market, where I also lived and worked for 5 years could care less about its local college affiliations a very large proportion of the time, Texas is a complete polar opposite in its promotion of any football product whatsoever at any age group and this culture will most probably never change.
It would also seem to this Syracuse native that the relationship of SMU and perhaps down the road Houston would both prove to be quite symbiotic over the course of a natural generation of growth for the ACC conference.
I believe that the financial backing and wherewithal for these institutions to be structurally sound apart from the minimum money guarantees of an ACC TV deal and the beyond incredible fertile football recruiting grounds would allow the seeds for growth potential to blossom exponentially as a western flank of the ACC and remain a continuous recruiting threat as the current #3 $$ generator of the NCAA conferences. With rising tides floating all boats, that could only and obviously help Syracuse and the ACC with recruiting Texas as well. I truly believe that if Houston or SMU were routinely challenging for the CFP versus A&M or UT languishing as a middle of the road SEC player, that it would become a more significant thorn to the SEC over time and bring even more fans to the ACC because everyone loves a winner. :)
Remember that the University of Houston convincingly snatched Dana Holgorsen from P5 WV just a few years ago and has not looked back since despite being in a much more modest AAC conference until just now.
Also in my opinion, I would not hesitate to consider Tulane and UCF as conference members as well as they come available. Someone else may have a better idea of the college enrollments at UCF than I do compared to other FL universities but as I recall, UCF may have the largest enrollment of college students in the state of Florida. If we are playing the long game here, this would provide another nice benefit to the ACC over time for several reasons like recruiting, bowl tie ins, and more visibility over the course of time which in my opinion could dwarf the accomplishments of Florida State hands down within again, the next generation.
As I just happened to look up just a few minutes ago, feel free to take a look at the 2022 Census Bureau populations link of the top few metro areas below. According to these projections, it would appear to me that DFW will pass the Chicago metropolitan statistical area in population in about 6 years and Houston should do the same within 10 years. When I was born, 10% of the US resided in New York State and these signs of the times only show that the tectonic plates of continuous US migration does not appear to be abating any time soon.
In the same way that the BIG may covet some of our southern teams, we should already be planning to do an an around into Texas now as a precursor to our future stability and conference vision whether other teams consider leaving or not. There will be definitely more than enough football fanatics, recruits and dollars to go around and we all might just be surprised at how powerful the newcomers might be representing the ACC conference over time against any other conference competition.

i could not love you more GIF by Bee Gees

Maybe the sticking point is CalStan not wanting to sign the GOR. That's why they are willing to forgo revenue.

Maybe the sticking point is CalStan not wanting to sign the GOR. That's why they are willing to forgo revenue.
Speculation on your part? Source?

Not arguing with you, I simply have not hear such.

I don’t think so. I think the issue is FSU and maybe others are not happy getting an extra $6-10 million a year if everyone else in the league also gets that amount.

I expect the Seminoles (and maybe others) are saying they deserve double or triple or some other ridiculous multiplier because they paid a consultant to say they are worth more than the other teams.

FSU doesn’t understand what a league is. They really should go independent and prove to everyone what their true value is.

I don’t think so. I think the issue is FSU and maybe others are not happy getting an extra $6-10 million a year if everyone else in the league also gets that amount.

I expect the Seminoles (and maybe others) are saying they deserve double or triple or some other ridiculous multiplier because they paid a consultant to say they are worth more than the other teams.

FSU doesn’t understand what a league is. They really should go independent and prove to everyone what their true value is.
The bad blood FSU is creating ensures that the league isn't going to give an inch if they want to leave.

Speculation on your part? Source?

Not arguing with you, I simply have not hear such.
Just speculation based on the duration they said they would forgo revenue coincides with the B1G's media deal. Seemed like a really long period to not get a draw at all. Or, it could be what Tomcat said.

Geographically Tulane works. They are also in the preseason Top 25. When we played them down there a few years back, I think we had more fans than they did so eyeballs could be a problem in a pro town. Good roadie though.
They were 2-10 they year before that. And about .500 for the 5 years before that which was their “upswing.”

There really needs to be a distinction between “desperation” and “good” adds. None of the available options are good, they’re all desperation adds. They don’t add any stability outside of additional votes, the conference still loses most of its value if Clemson and FSU leave. The BIG12 is the ACC after clemson and FSU leave, no football powers but someone will come out on top every year because that’s how it works. BIG12 fans and analysts will call it “parity” everyone else will see it for what it is, a lack of top level talent. Once in a blue moon they’ll strike gold and get someone to final four or championship game of CFP but the BIG and SEC will still be in a far better position.

Ironically, FSU believes they will get in the SEC or B1G while both conferences pay all schools equally.*

*Yes, the B1G has a buy-in for the network, but once paid for, the share is equal.

They were 2-10 they year before that. And about .500 for the 5 years before that which was their “upswing.”

There really needs to be a distinction between “desperation” and “good” adds. None of the available options are good, they’re all desperation adds. They don’t add any stability outside of additional votes, the conference still loses most of its value if Clemson and FSU leave. The BIG12 is the ACC after clemson and FSU leave, no football powers but someone will come out on top every year because that’s how it works. BIG12 fans and analysts will call it “parity” everyone else will see it for what it is, a lack of top level talent. Once in a blue moon they’ll strike gold and get someone to final four or championship game of CFP but the BIG and SEC will still be in a far better position.
At this point it’s positioning the ACC to not be cannibalized by the Big 12 once a few teams like Clemson or FSU leave. The ACC leadership needs to be thinking 10 years down the road and what they’re capable of doing with schools/markets, not what necessarily exists right now.

The bad blood FSU is creating ensures that the league isn't going to give an inch if they want to leave.
FSU (and this is pretty well chronicled) has one of the most dysfunctional report structures in college sports. Go give a good read to how Jimbo’s tenure there deteriorated behind the scenes. It was a power struggle between the HC and the head of the booster association, who is ranked ahead of the Athletics Director. Now add in their university board and their president and you can see and smell the overwrought ego and hubris.

If I am the SEC/UF, exactly none of this is endearing me to the notion of FSU in that league (as unlikely as that already is). If I am the B18, similar feelings. Why sign on to invite these tense slapdiikks.

They’re digging a hole even deeper for themselves.

At this point it’s positioning the ACC to not be cannibalized by the Big 12 once a few teams like Clemson or FSU leave. The ACC leadership needs to be thinking 10 years down the road and what they’re capable of doing with schools/markets, not what necessarily exists right now.
How would any of those adds stop that possibility though? Adding a tier 4 Texas team because it happens to be the Dallas area, even though it has limited, if any, interest from the area doesn’t scream “win market share.” It’s a desperation move. Could it work? Maybe. I’m not saying don’t add them, I’m just saying don’t act like they are GOOD additions. They’re not. They don’t improve the ACCs position, they just don’t make it actively worse.

Honestly I’m too old to care either and I actually don’t. The what if game is fun to kick around though. At this point if it collapses I’m cool with a hoop only school back in the big east. And lax is my favorite anyway.

But when I see some of these schools mentioned I laugh. None of us should care that SMU has money and rich alums and how the ACC would allow them to build a great program. That’s junk it doesn’t help us at all. Good for them, not us. Adding them does nothing to help the ACC.

We've been here a long time. Yeah titles in lax and hoop are really the golden goose now. Football still has to earn.

I'd much rather play privates and publics that aren't everyone gets in free in that sport.

How would any of those adds stop that possibility though? Adding a tier 4 Texas team because it happens to be the Dallas area, even though it has limited, if any, interest from the area doesn’t scream “win market share.” It’s a desperation move. Could it work? Maybe. I’m not saying don’t add them, I’m just saying don’t act like they are GOOD additions. They’re not. They don’t improve the ACCs position, they just don’t make it actively worse.
Regarding SMU, Texas and A&M aren’t walking through the door unfortunately. SMU has the potential to be #3 in Texas and get back to where they were before the death penalty was applied. They have the money supporting them to make it happen. Personally, I would rather have WVU and Cincinnati but that ship has sailed for several years. If the ACC vision is to get Texas Tech, Houston, or TCU or some combination from the B12, then SMU makes sense. If we want an immediate cash flow fix, it makes some sense. In 10 years, this could all change anyway. Just my random thoughts

Regarding SMU, Texas and A&M aren’t walking through the door unfortunately. SMU has the potential to be #3 in Texas and get back to where they were before the death penalty was applied. They have the money supporting them to make it happen. Personally, I would rather have WVU and Cincinnati but that ship has sailed for several years. If the ACC vision is to get Texas Tech, Houston, or TCU or some combination from the B12, then SMU makes sense. If we want an immediate cash flow fix, it makes some sense. In 10 years, this could all change anyway. Just my random thoughts
SMU is leapfrogging TCU in their own market?

So, word was ACC was going to meet yesterday for a formal vote. No tweets, no news, so I suspect that did not happen.

Yup. Before we joined the ACC, FSU, Clemson, Miami and maybe UNC were supposed to carry the conference. Well, other than Clemson, none of those teams have done squat. So start producing. If you want to make money, win some games. Improve the position of the conference or shut up.
Since 2013, Florida State and Clemson have won championships. Outside of Ohio State, the SEC has won the other titles. I know we live in what have you done for me lately society, but saying FSU hasn't produced is ridiculous. If FSU hasn't done anything, what the hell has Syracuse done?

So, word was ACC was going to meet yesterday for a formal vote. No tweets, no news, so I suspect that did not happen.
I suspect they met but didn’t vote as the 4 hold outs want some concessions like financial as stated previously by sutomcat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom