ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 229 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Do people in Dallas actually give a crap about SMU football though? Dallas is a pro town. The Cowboys rule everything in that area. Yes I know - the ACCN would be added to cable/streaming packages in the area leading to additional subscription dollars. But if nobody in the area actually watches the network, what value is it actually bringing? Asking honestly, because this whole process is still so confusing.

Do people in Dallas actually give a crap about SMU football though? Dallas is a pro town. The Cowboys rule everything in that area. Yes I know - the ACCN would be added to cable/streaming packages in the area leading to additional subscription dollars. But if nobody in the area actually watches the network, what value is it actually bringing? Asking honestly, because this whole process is still so confusing.
They do care
And they will be very competitive if they become part of the ACC

I didn't either until one of our board gurus mentioned it. Even if no one outside the Bay Area watches Stanford and Cal on the ACCN, they're still paying for it. Same holds true for SMU and their half of DFW.
And if they like exciting football, the ACC has a lot of teams that throw the ball around.

This is not a comparison of Syracuse and FSU.
No, I'm pointing out to board members who say FSU is behaving like a petulant child that they've done their part for the conference. They went CFP in its first season coming off of that championship. Outside of Clemson, they are the only ones who have the right to behave that way.

That's incorrect. The ACC Network carriage fee for every new state added goes up from $.03 per subscriber to $1.01 per. Adding California and Texas is a big deal.

I didn’t know that and it would obviously change things but I’m skeptical.

NIL is not going to change SMUs fortunes. It's going to take a true investment by the university to get that ship turned around. They've had June Jones and Sonny Dykes. Jones started off well and finished poorly. Dykes looked to be building something and gets poached by the cross town rival likely due to conference affiliation and finances. If SMU has high rollers, they couldn't pony up what Dykes wanted.

This article is from last year but the money is there to get players. Dykes leaving to coach in a P5 isn't a good indication that SMU cannot have success.

$36k per player

No, I'm pointing out to board members who say FSU is behaving like a petulant child that they've done their part for the conference. They went CFP in its first season coming off of that championship. Outside of Clemson, they are the only ones who have the right to behave that way.
That was in 2013, they have as many 10 win seasons in the last 5 years as Syracuse has. Yes right now they are obviously on the way back up bigtime, but they still need to shut up, they aren’t and haven’t been Clemson since Winston left

a prior tweet sent last night and copied into this thread said progress was made and discussions are continuing with a vote possible today or Monday

Thanks. Been trying to read everything but must have missed that.

Presumably a bigger cut would be based on performance.
FSU does not want bigger cuts based on performance. They feel this is totally unfair.

They want far more because they are FSU. They paid a consultant who told them they deserve far more than anyone else, and dammit, they are going to get it or they will hold expansion up and screw the rest of the conference out of $5-10 million a year per year per school.

Personally, I think FSU should either agree to expansion or get booted out of the conference.

They cheat more than anyone, they treat the rest of the conference like dirt and only care about themselves. They need to decide if they want to be in a conference. If they don’t, kick them out now.

I don’t think so. I think the issue is FSU and maybe others are not happy getting an extra $6-10 million a year if everyone else in the league also gets that amount.

I expect the Seminoles (and maybe others) are saying they deserve double or triple or some other ridiculous multiplier because they paid a consultant to say they are worth more than the other teams.

FSU doesn’t understand what a league is. They really should go independent and prove to everyone what their true value is.
Exactly.

2013 is eons ago in the sports world. Syracuse basketball was on its way to its 3rd 30 win season in 4 years. Now look at us. The reason the conference is looked at as being inferior is because they haven’t held their weight since at least 2016. A good comparison is SU in basketball and them in football.

Agreed SU isnt complaing like a petulant child

Well...

If someone gives you NFL box tickets on the 20 yard line, you certainly don't complain that they're not on the 40 or 50. SU was given a gift of a lifetime with the ACC invite back a decade or so ago. There is no way in hell they're going to act in anyway but incredibly grateful, especially as a private institution and this being all about football, where SU has been generally putrid for well over two decades, etc.

IMO, if SU could stay in a conference long term (at its current $$$ payout) where it only gets payout increases through the years at the cost of inflation type rates, etc., they'd be 'dancin in the streets' in perpetuity.

Last edited:
They have not done Jack dick for the conference. Take that schlitz some place else. Jimbo had a few good seasons a decade ago. Before that go back early 2000s for some success. 1990s they were seriousliy good. Otherwise all the years in between either paper tiger or stunk. Listen if you want to use every post to howl at the moon about the ACC and Syracuse have at it. That said FSU doesn't deserve ANY SPECIAL TREATMENT AT ALL. Hard stop.

They have not done Jack dick for the conference. Take that schlitz some place else. Jimbo had a few good seasons a decade ago. Before that go back early 2000s for some success. 1990s they were seriousliy good. Otherwise all the years in between either paper tiger or stunk. Listen if you want to use every post to howl at the moon about the ACC and Syracuse have at it. That said FSU doesn't deserve ANY SPECIAL TREATMENT AT ALL. Hard stop.
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. Go through this thread. I never said they deserve special treatment. What I did say is that they've done their part for the ACC and pointed out their success. That is why they believe they deserve more. Clemson and FSU are the only things this league has when it comes to football until Miami gets their act together.

To the person who said 10 years is eons ago, no it isn't. For the elite programs, it might feel that way. For everyone else, they would ride that championship until they can't anymore. Most sports fans would trade a decade of being middling if it meant a championship. No one cares about good seasons if you don't win at the end.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. Go through this thread. I never said they deserve special treatment. What I did say is that they've done their part for the ACC and pointed out their success. That is why they believe they deserve more. Clemson and FSU are the only things this league has when it comes to football until Miami gets their act together.

To the person who said 10 years is eons ago, no it isn't. For the elite programs, it might feel that way. For everyone else, they would ride that championship until they can't anymore. Most sports fans would trade a decade of being middling if it meant a championship. No one cares about good seasons if you don't win at the end.
You stated that they have done their part for the conference in context of behaving like a petulant child having been earned, which was related to being paid more. So actually my comprehension is just fine. Ten years ago is a long time. No one is hanging hats on a single thing FSU has done. The team in the ACC with recent success is Clemson, that's it. Hell if I was commish I would buy Clemson's vote and then tell FSU to shut the hell up and send them packing to the west coast every year. There are very simply ways you conduct business and the way FSU has approached it is not the way you do it.

I don’t think so. I think the issue is FSU and maybe others are not happy getting an extra $6-10 million a year if everyone else in the league also gets that amount.

I expect the Seminoles (and maybe others) are saying they deserve double or triple or some other ridiculous multiplier because they paid a consultant to say they are worth more than the other teams.

FSU doesn’t understand what a league is. They really should go independent and prove to everyone what their true value is.
FSU does not want bigger cuts based on performance. They feel this is totally unfair.

They want far more because they are FSU. They paid a consultant who told them they deserve far more than anyone else, and dammit, they are going to get it or they will hold expansion up and screw the rest of the conference out of $5-10 million a year per year per school.

Personally, I think FSU should either agree to expansion or get booted out of the conference.

They cheat more than anyone, they treat the rest of the conference like dirt and only care about themselves. They need to decide if they want to be in a conference. If they don’t, kick them out now.
Kicking them out is probably what they want. I would do the opposite and hold them here until the GOR is up or pay through the nose to get out of it. One school can’t hold back expansion by themselves.

Just speculation based on the duration they said they would forgo revenue coincides with the B1G's media deal. Seemed like a really long period to not get a draw at all. Or, it could be what Tomcat said.
I have no issues if both want to forgo yearly payments until 2030...if they want to leave for the B1G just pay $120M

SMU is leapfrogging TCU in their own market?
Interesting question
TCU is Fort Worth
SMU is Dallas
TCU right now has the upperhand.
SMU could make strides but it'll be tough to even pull even.

Interesting question
TCU is Fort Worth
SMU is Dallas
TCU right now has the upperhand.
SMU could make strides but it'll be tough to even pull even.

They had a great season last year and were fun to watch but the previous 6 seasons they were 26-28 in the B12. It will be interesting to see how they do this year, especially without Duggan. They also lost their RB and WR.

SMU "passing" TCU would be more like Utah passing BYU and not like USF passing FSU. People are making the task out to be a too big a deal.

No one has the "right" to behave that way. Not one conference has survived when unequal revenue sharing is introduced. It's stupid and egotistical for FSU to prey on a hamstrung conference by making outlandish demands- it's just not helping. Bottom line, they can leave now and pay the price as mandated, or accept that that's not possible at the moment, and stf up about it. But to suggest as they have, that everyone should kowtow to them is ludicrous. At the very least, show some class, act like Clemson and UNC, and not spout off at every opportunity. JMHO

The Big 12 GOR will expire before the likelihood of teams leaving the ACC happens. That’s the battle. I think the ACC is more attractive to the Big 12 teams it needs to target already having a beachhead established in the Midwest and West than not. It shows a commitment to being a coast to coast conference which is what the ACC will need to become to survive long term.

Otherwise you’re looking at merger scenarios with the Big 12 or the Big 12 collapsing the ACC outright.
This is exactly right.

The last thing I want is more southern schools. SMU does nothing for me and them paying their way in doesn't seem like a sustainable long-term strategy.
Who would you add that is available?
The last thing I want is more southern schools. SMU does nothing for me and them paying their way in doesn't seem like a sustainable long-term strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom