ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 228 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Regarding SMU, Texas and A&M aren’t walking through the door unfortunately. SMU has the potential to be #3 in Texas and get back to where they were before the death penalty was applied. They have the money supporting them to make it happen. Personally, I would rather have WVU and Cincinnati but that ship has sailed for several years. If the ACC vision is to get Texas Tech, Houston, or TCU or some combination from the B12, then SMU makes sense. If we want an immediate cash flow fix, it makes some sense. In 10 years, this could all change anyway. Just my random thoughts
The death penalty was 40 years ago, where has all that money been being spent for the last 30+ years? Honest question because TCU built up a powerhouse in the G5, and so did Houston. What has stopped SMU from doing it other than they just might not be capable.

Honestly, looking at SMUs history they were really only good for 4 years before the death penalty. Prior to that they were a run of the mill team.

The death penalty was 40 years ago, where has all that money been being spent for the last 30+ years? Honest question because TCU built up a powerhouse in the G5, and so did Houston. What has stopped SMU from doing it other than they just might not be capable.

Honestly, looking at SMUs history they were really only good for 4 years before the death penalty. Prior to that they were a run of the mill team.
NIL has changed for one. Personally, if we do get SMU, I want another Texas team added too at some point.

NIL has changed for one
That’s certainly fair, but not sure I would bank on that being the savior if it hasn’t already started producing high tier players. The rules are only going to get stricter as we move forward and the big boys see their advantage start to shrink

That’s certainly fair, but not sure I would bank on that being the savior if it hasn’t already started producing high tier players. The rules are only going to get stricter as we move forward and the big boys see their advantage start to shrink
The SMU play is all about potential and/or immediate cash flow fix. They are on an island which isn’t good overall IMO. If we somehow do add SMU, need to add Texas Tech and/or Houston or even Baylor as well down the road.

Last edited:
How would any of those adds stop that possibility though? Adding a tier 4 Texas team because it happens to be the Dallas area, even though it has limited, if any, interest from the area doesn’t scream “win market share.” It’s a desperation move. Could it work? Maybe. I’m not saying don’t add them, I’m just saying don’t act like they are GOOD additions. They’re not. They don’t improve the ACCs position, they just don’t make it actively worse.
The Big 12 GOR will expire before the likelihood of teams leaving the ACC happens. That’s the battle. I think the ACC is more attractive to the Big 12 teams it needs to target already having a beachhead established in the Midwest and West than not. It shows a commitment to being a coast to coast conference which is what the ACC will need to become to survive long term.

Otherwise you’re looking at merger scenarios with the Big 12 or the Big 12 collapsing the ACC outright.

I’m not sure why everyone thinks Texas Tech would be a good addition. They don’t carry Texas much more than Rice. They will never achieve UT or TAMU status. Houston is in a large metro, Lubbock is the 10th largest city in Texas, its metro is half that of Syracuse. TTU has been a paper tiger, with few significant victories.

Their fan base is not what many people think. Once they leave Lubbock, they are not rabid or significantly wild. Nor are they wealthy, like all of the others.

Lubbock is far from everyone else. And from everything else.

Baylor is in Waco, not too far from they DFW metro.
TCU is in Fort Worth.
SMU is in Dallas.

All three have more money.

If you want state school status then Houston is the choice after UT and TAMU. At best, TTU is the events best option in Texas.

Can we stop the TTU as a valuable target talk?

So, word was ACC was going to meet yesterday for a formal vote. No tweets, no news, so I suspect that did not happen.

ACC met Friday and no vote was held but progress was made-concessions were promised. Possible vote forthcoming as early as Sarurday possibly Monday. Cal-Stanford only two schools seriously discussed but there was an option to take all 4 of the remnants

I’m not sure why everyone thinks Texas Tech would be a good addition. They don’t carry Texas much more than Rice. They will never achieve UT or TAMU status. Houston is in a large metro, Lubbock is the 10th largest city in Texas, its metro is half that of Syracuse. TTU has been a paper tiger, with few significant victories.

Their fan base is not what many people think. Once they leave Lubbock, they are not rabid or significantly wild. Nor are they wealthy, like all of the others.

TCU is in Fort Worth.
SMU is in Dallas.

If you want state school status then Houston is the choice after UT and TAMU. At best, TTU is the events best option in Texas.

IF we add SMU, given what you stated, the ACC needs to figure out a way to add Houston as well then down the road. SMU by themselves on a island isn’t good long term IMO.

ACC met Friday and no vote was held but progress was made-concessions were promised. Possible vote forthcoming as early as Sarurday possibly Monday. Cal-Stanford only two schools seriously discussed but there was an option to take all 4 of the remnants
No SMU?

Honestly I’m too old to care either and I actually don’t. The what if game is fun to kick around though. At this point if it collapses I’m cool with a hoop only school back in the big east. And lax is my favorite anyway.

But when I see some of these schools mentioned I laugh. None of us should care that SMU has money and rich alums and how the ACC would allow them to build a great program. That’s junk it doesn’t help us at all. Good for them, not us. Adding them does nothing to help the ACC.
That's incorrect. The ACC Network carriage fee for every new state added goes up from $.03 per subscriber to $1.01 per. Adding California and Texas is a big deal.

So, word was ACC was going to meet yesterday for a formal vote. No tweets, no news, so I suspect that did not happen.
a prior tweet sent last night and copied into this thread said progress was made and discussions are continuing with a vote possible today or Monday

I didn't either until one of our board gurus mentioned it. Even if no one outside the Bay Area watches Stanford and Cal on the ACCN, they're still paying for it. Same holds true for SMU and their half of DFW.
Is that increase for the DMA or the entire state? If entire state, holy cow. I assume DMA.

TCU is in Fort Worth.
SMU is in Dallas.

They have the largest current fanbase which might matter with streaming. Do all their alumni stay in Lubbock?

Houston has the potential to pass them. TCU and Baylor are smaller private schools and don’t add new markets.

They have been decent in the AAC and have been hamstrung being in the AAC.

They bought a BBall team out of nowhere. They could do similar in a P4 FB conference.

Is that increase for the DMA or the entire state? If entire state, holy cow. I assume DMA.
From what I'm seeing on a bunch of message boards, it's the whole state.

Now what seems to be the subtext here, FSU and Clemson won't have a problem with bringing in Cal and Stanford (maybe SMU as well) as long as they get a bigger cut of the increased payout to the ACC than everyone else gets.

Now what seems to be the subtext here, FSU and Clemson won't have a problem with bringing in Cal and Stanford (maybe SMU as well) as long as they get a bigger cut of the increased payout to the ACC than everyone else gets.
This gets back to sutomcats financial speculation then as well as there was some financial hurdle that was being worked out. ESPN has to be happy as they are getting what about half of the increase then too. For the entire state of Texas and California, that is no small change.

NIL has changed for one. Personally, if we do get SMU, I want another Texas team added too at some point.
NIL is not going to change SMUs fortunes. It's going to take a true investment by the university to get that ship turned around. They've had June Jones and Sonny Dykes. Jones started off well and finished poorly. Dykes looked to be building something and gets poached by the cross town rival likely due to conference affiliation and finances. If SMU has high rollers, they couldn't pony up what Dykes wanted.

Since 2013, Florida State and Clemson have won championships. Outside of Ohio State, the SEC has won the other titles. I know we live in what have you done for me lately society, but saying FSU hasn't produced is ridiculous. If FSU hasn't done anything, what the hell has Syracuse done?
This is not a comparison of Syracuse and FSU.

Presumably a bigger cut would be based on performance.

That's how it would be termed. "Everybody" would be eligible to get it, but they're the only ones who qualify right now.

I hope so. That would be fair.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like FSU is interested in "fair" right now. Although they've been only .500 over the past 6 seasons, they're touting last year's 10-3 and this year's pre-season ranking to prove they are back to the glory days of Bobby Bowden. And that their powerhouse status earns them more, regardless of on-the-field results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom