ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 268 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Does anyone care who wins the FCS? Is there ever a question if North Dakota State is the true D1 champ instead of the FBS champ? The same thing would apply to a new sub division of B18 and SEC teams. Their playoff will determine their champ. Even if the AP poll chose the FBS champ as #1, the P2 champ would say isn't that cute and not care. They got their NCAA trophy and got paid.

Does most of the talent (including coaching talent) end up in FBS or FCS? So if the B18 and SEC broke away into their own sub division, they would have all the talent (even worse than now). What kid or coach would want to be in the lower division (like with FCS vs FBS)?

Most likely they would go to 10 game conference schedules and 1-2 OOC vs the other conference. Then instead of an FCS game like they have now, they have one FBS cupcake game.

The left behind FBS teams would have no marquee Ws. Clemson can go undefeated but if their biggest Ws are FSU and BYU why would anyone think they are better than the P2 sub division champ. Same as with North Dakota State winning the FCS.

As to Part II
The B18 and SEC cannot dictate how the FBS playoff goes. The ACC, B12, and G5 need to agree to the system. It is why the G5 was thrown a bone in the new system. The B18 and SEC have all the power and will absolutely get a favorable outcome, but they cannot close out the rest of the FBS. The PAC going away isn't going to change the playoff from 6 conference champs to 2.

I think they could push for more playoff teams and/or no auto Top 4 as conference champs. Maybe something like...

Top 3 conference champs make the Quarterfinals.
Next 3 conference champs and 3 best at larges make the 2nd Round.
Bottom 3 conference champs and 5 next best at larges are in the 1st Round.

That gives every conference champ a shot. There would be 8 at larges (only 6 currently) which will be mostly B18 and SEC teams.

For example...

QFs: UGA, Michigan, Clemson
2nd Round: K State, Tulane, Troy, TCU, Ohio State, Bama
1st Round: UTSA, Fresno State, Toledo, Tennessee, Utah, USC, Penn State, Washington

That would have yielded:
5 B18
3 SEC
3 B12
1 AAC, ACC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt

1st Round
10. Tennesse vs 17. Toledo
11. USC vs 16. Fresno State
12. Utah vs 15. UTSA
13. Penn State vs 14. Washington

2nd Round
4. TCU vs 13. Penn State
5. Ohio State vs 12. Utah
6. Bama vs 11. USC
7. K State vs 10. Tennessee
8. Tulane vs 9. Troy

QF
1. UGA vs 8. Tulane
2. Michigan vs 7. K State
3. Clemson vs 6. Bama
4. TCU vs 5. Ohio State

SF
1. UGA vs 5. Ohio State
2. Michigan vs 6. Bama

CG
1. UGA vs 6. Bama

All the CG game money goes to the SEC. All the SF money is split between the SEC and B18.
I like it, but all that work just to end up with the same 4 teams, more of less, that we get every year. The occasional upset this would give fans would be marvelous, however.

I think this is a no win situation, all of this is football and $$ motivated, eventually these schools will get full shares, and they don’t bring in enough $$$ to justify it. Now maybe something in the works to stream or add TV revenue and this will be more understandable, but as of now I think it’s just a bandaid. Further more no other conference has an off number of teams? Notre Dame ain’t joining you would think there has to be another west coast or Mountain west area school they should add to help with travel.
They actually do bring in enough to justify it. Between the cable adds and the additional base ESPN pay they more than pay for themselves. This is an accretive deal.

They actually do bring in enough to justify it. Between the cable adds and the additional base ESPN pay they more than pay for themselves. This is an accretive deal.
Does this additional money include added ACCN subscriptions? I haven't seen that directly noted.

They actually do bring in enough to justify it. Between the cable adds and the additional base ESPN pay they more than pay for them
The most I have seen any projections is an extra 3 million a year per school per year, once you factor in travel and how it hurts Olympic sports not sure it it make financial sense. This does nothing to appease FSU or Clemson, the gap in still way to much. Now if it was an extra 10 million per school then so be it.

If it means added revenue while we wait out the inevitable dismantling in 10 years or so, then so be it. But as someone said, I hope the ACC financial wizards haven't given loopholes to FSU, Clemson, and the others who've been itching to leave. I have no faith in the conference HQ- they're constantly reactive after the fact, and appear flatfooted while isht is happening around them.

I think this is a no win situation, all of this is football and $$ motivated, eventually these schools will get full shares, and they don’t bring in enough $$$ to justify it. Now maybe something in the works to stream or add TV revenue and this will be more understandable, but as of now I think it’s just a bandaid. Further more no other conference has an off number of teams? Notre Dame ain’t joining you would think there has to be another west coast or Mountain west area school they should add to help with travel.
The college football world will see more changes before any of these schools gets a full share. Nice short term money grab by existing ACC schools but I don't see how this keeps SU relevant on the next spin of the dial.

It will be more than that and grow over time. Adding Dallas and the Bay area is a plus. My sense is the first of a few moves that will be made.
This isn’t a back and forth I promise, but why do u think it will be more than that? Adding those markets are awesome I agree but why would ESPN need to pay the ACC more when they already have such a sweet heart contract. This most definitely will get ESPN more money but not sure that funnels down to the 14 teams.

This isn’t a back and forth I promise, but why do u think it will be more than that? Adding those markets are awesome I agree but why would ESPN need to pay the ACC more when they already have such a sweet heart contract. This most definitely will get ESPN more money but not sure that funnels down to the 14 teams.
The agreement is based on a formula. Those markets move the needle.

Does this vote of taking on more schools open up the entire GoR contract or allow the conference to add more years to the whole thing?

Just a little concerned that the schools that have showed doubt in the ACC may use their needed votes as leverage to chip away at the strength of the GoR.
No. Any school that joins the ACC must sign the same GOR all current ACC schools have already signed. The GOR should not be affected in any way.

It's been previously reported in this thread that the per subscriber charge for the ACCN is higher in a state with an ACC team. Given the current state of cable TV, however, ESPN may only be able to get that in the Bay & Dallas areas rather than the whole states of California & Texas. I'd think some of greater revenue generated by the ACCN would benefit the ACC schools.

The most I have seen any projections is an extra 3 million a year per school per year, once you factor in travel and how it hurts Olympic sports not sure it it make financial sense. This does nothing to appease FSU or Clemson, the gap in still way to much. Now if it was an extra 10 million per school then so be it.
Lol. We now have armchair expert posters weighing in on speculative financials and confidently asserting that the deal shouldn’t be made. Why don’t you leave the details to the professionals and the people running the conference who actually have all the particulars and knowledge of the deal to add these three teams?

If Notre Dame wants this to happen they should give the ACC a 6th game. Which will also make ESPN happy. With 17 full members that means ND plays everyone home and away every 6 years. There will be 2 extra games to be played over those 6 years which you can allow ND to chose who they play. It can be one school (so 4x over 6 years) or two schools (both 3x over 6 years).

With 17 it is a bit hard to schedule, but with the 6 ND games you can prevent late season bye weeks. As to the conference schedule I think you need to go 4 + 4/4/4 rotated. Which means you play non perm rivals home and away over 6 years. So for SU it would mean 2 California trips in 6 years, and one Texas trip.

The perm rivals I would go with the below. That protects every series played over 57x except Duke vs UVA (70x). Which makes up for games lost under the current format.

BC- SU, Pitt, Miami, Stanford (add Stanford)
Clemson- Wake, NC State, GA Tech, FSU (add Wake)
Duke- UNC, Wake, GA Tech, NC State (add GA Tech)
FSU- Miami, Clemson, SU, Louisville (add Louisville)
GA Tech- Duke, Clemson, UVA, Cal (adding Duke, UVA, Cal and losing Louisville, Wake)
Louisville- Miami, VA Tech, FSU, SMU (adding VA Tech, FSU, SMU and losing GA Tech, UVA)
Miami- FSU, BC, Louisville, SMU (add SMU)
UNC- UVA, Wake, Duke, NC State (add Wake)
NC State- Wake, UNC, Clemson, Duke (add Wake)
Pitt- SU, BC, VA Tech, Cal (add Cal)
SU- Pitt, BC, VA Tech, FSU (add VA Tech)
UVA- UNC, VA Tech, GA Tech, Stanford (add GA Tech, Stanford and lose Louisville)
VA Tech- UVA, Pitt, SU, Louisville (add SU, Louisville and lose Wake)
Wake- NC State, UNC, Duke, Clemson (add NC State, UNC, Clemson and lose GA Tech, VA Tech)
Cal- Stanford, SMU, GA Tech, Pitt
SMU- Cal, Stanford, Louisville, Miami
Stanford- Cal, SMU, BC, UVA

Going to bump this as what I would like to see. If I have time I will list the rivalry games at 50 and over that will not be played, as well as the current amounts for the above.

Those teams will create additional revenue for the ACC Network, which is co-owned by the conference.

Lol. We now have armchair expert posters weighing in on speculative financials and confidently asserting that the deal shouldn’t be made. Why don’t you leave the details to the professionals and the people running the conference who actually have all the particulars and knowledge of the deal to add these three teams?
That’s literally all a fan board is for. If we police talking about this we might as well make sure no one talks about game decisions, time management, dome improvements, movement of games and the like because hey, we’re not D1 coaches on the sidelines or in the board rooms.

Sources being some a$$hat from FSU. "Officials working on how to divide pool". Pathetic. How about we take FSUs added share and give it to Clemson for that one added vote needed and tell FSU to go shut up and sit in the corner and oh we needed one more team for a pod FSU, so we are partnering you with the new schools. Be sure to sign up for frequent flier.

Some options (I like lists):
Super 2 Breakaway
1. In-conference playoffs with champions playing for the title
2. Top teams (#TBD) set up cross conference tournament, open with something like B1G#1 vs SEC#4, etc.
3. Just seed top # of teams across the two conferences into a bracket
ISSUES: Who are they going to play in the regular season? In-conference only?
Could the outsiders develop a playoff that competes for attention or casts doubt on "True" National Champion?

Form a new NCAA Division above D-1
1. Super 2 Champs are the only ones to get a autobid. Rest are at-large (mostly Super 2s and a couple tokens from lesser conferences).
2. Same as above, but a 3rd conference champ also gets an autobid (likely a merged ACC/B12 or the last survivor).
3. No autobids. Again, most of playoff lineup will be Super 2, plus whoever the hot outsiders are that crack the rankings in a given season.
ISSUE: How would the selection system vary from the current one?
If anything, the breakaway will be to take football out of the NCAA so that the players don't have to attend class. They'll still be the Alabama Crimson Tide and Ohio State Buckeyes, but the name will be used under license to a team owner. The argument will be put forward that they've gone a long way toward title IX compliance because the 85-scholarships/100+ roster spots for football are now gone. Separation will come at a cost, losing records for teams used to winning. As I have posted before, which Week 10 game will draw the bigger audience - 2-7 Alabama v. 3-6 Texas or 9-0 UVa v. 8-1 Pitt?

No matter what the future holds, the teams in the Bowl Subdivision want NCAA HQ to continue to have their present connection to football - none, so they get to keep all the money and none goes to the NCAA.

Does this additional money include added ACCN subscriptions? I haven't seen that directly noted.
The number of new ACCN subscriptions will be minimal. The big thing is that there are a lot of people in Texas and California who already get the ACCN and will be paying more for it. The argument that no one in California and Texas (or anywhere else, for that matter) cares about those teams is irrelevant. The ACCN is either part of the basic package or bundled into a premium sports package. People do not subscribe to it as a stand-alone. The current contract Disney has with the cable and stream providers regarding the ACCN has two prices, a higher price for ACC states and a lower one for non-ACC states. Metro areas do not matter, so someone in NYC is paying the same for the ACCN as someone in CNY. The day that "Calford" and SMU join the ACC is the day that the cost of the ACCN goes up in the entirety of California and Texas by ~$1 per subscriber.

Last edited:

Yeah, IMO, it's pretty obvious that Clemson is as much as a, let's just say, culprit here as FSU is. They are just doing it in a more snake-like approach vs. their counterpart, FSU's lion's roar tact. There's no doubt, IMO, about that, Clemson is as unhappy and untrustworthy as FSU is in all of this, wearing their inferior complex when it comes to how they've been treated over the years by kingpin UNC and the tarheel state, etc.

FSU and Clemson will land some top talent out of Cali and Texas. That's a huge upside for them.

Our insiders seem to be hinting at that Clemson and FSU will be leave the conference by summer of next year at the latest...
Interesting. Is the belief predicated on a new approach not necessarily being discussed? Certainly if they want to cut big checks that's one path. They can try litigation but I don't think that is something to hang out hope for, so what is the premise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom