ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 300 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Good article talking about what has been going on for the past 30 days.

From the article:
However, while there was some momentum in the endeavor, the ACC found itself behind a rival Power Five conference: the Big 12, which had both geography and time on its side. Commissioner Brett Yormark had been pursuing the Arizona schools and Utah for months and had held intense discussions with Arizona specifically.
ACC reactive as always. They wanted the Arizona schools and Utah as well but they were late to the game. This time it might work in their favor because they got "stuck" with SMU which is actually going to help them a lot in the next round by forcing them into Texas. I'm hoping the next round is to add Houston, Utah, Arizona/Arizona State, and possibly SDSU.

The major population centers driving the economy nationwide are on the East and West Coast and in Texas. If you get more specific, you'd highlight NYC, the Bay Area, SoCal, and Houston/Dallas/Austin. The ACC has a chance to be the only conference representing all of them, and that's not nothing and does lead to some potential to help schools who previously haven't had power conference access build themselves up.

They also have the chance to do so while splitting into divisions that are geographically reasonable, making them look pretty sane. Of course, if it works, they'll probably just get poached an extra time or two.

From the article:

ACC reactive as always. They wanted the Arizona schools and Utah as well but they were late to the game. This time it might work in their favor because they got "stuck" with SMU which is actually going to help them a lot in the next round by forcing them into Texas. I'm hoping the next round is to add Houston, Utah, Arizona/Arizona State, and possibly SDSU.

The major population centers driving the economy nationwide are on the East and West Coast and in Texas. If you get more specific, you'd highlight NYC, the Bay Area, SoCal, and Houston/Dallas/Austin. The ACC has a chance to be the only conference representing all of them, and that's not nothing and does lead to some potential to help schools who previously haven't had power conference access build themselves up.

They also have the chance to do so while splitting into divisions that are geographically reasonable, making them look pretty sane. Of course, if it works, they'll probably just get poached an extra time or two.
Man my kid is a sophomore at Arizona. We were both so secretly hoping that would have happened.

From the article:

So because of the longer GOR and not having a geographical advantage the ACC was reactive?

A few questions:

1- How do you know if those schools had any real interest/desire with joining the ACC? Could it not have been where it was always the B12 they preferred?

2- Why would those schools change UNC/FSU/Clemsons mind long term?

3- If the GOR was ending sooner the ACC would be much worse off. If those programs like the "lease" being shorter then it's still only a rental where they seek to move anyways is it not?

The ACC was late to the game in missing the opportunity of adding the more regional options the B12 gathered. That's where you can argue there was definitely a miss. But these other Pac 12 schools - I don't see it.

I absolutely see the court part happening. Adding schools 3,000 miles away provided them the ammunition. UNC’s statement last night will be their opening argument.
Nonsense. The GOR is airtight. FSU and UNC are going nowhere unless they give up their home TV rights for the next decade and pay massive exit fees. They got a half mil lying around.

Boy they better have infamous "silent verbal" although how hilarious would it be is FSU somehow got out next year and wasn't offered a an SEC or Big 10 invite...now that's my dream scenario :):)
They have large fund-raising fan clubs like we could only have in our dreams.

You dont live over 10 years with anything terminal. The ACC is going to survive and actually be in a very strong third position when the dust settles. Strap it on NYC boy its Wagons Ho!
Not a week should go by over those 10 years that the ACC doesn't stress to Baylor and TCU that they'd be better off joining.

Not a week should go by over those 10 years that the ACC doesn't stress to Baylor and TCU that they'd be better off joining.
I think we'll see Baylor in the ACC in the future.

I don't really buy that. Placating the schools currently carrying the conference in FB isn't a bad thing either this is all about football after all. Stanford and Cal don't sign agreements with the Mountain West that bind them there for life and don't let them jump once an invite comes up you could have added them at any point same with SMU.
We aren't really placating any one team is only a portion of the extra money is going to the incentive pool while the rest is being shared equally

From the article:

replace Houston with TCU or Baylor

I don't really buy that. Placating the schools currently carrying the conference in FB isn't a bad thing either this is all about football after all. Stanford and Cal don't sign agreements with the Mountain West that bind them there for life and don't let them jump once an invite comes up you could have added them at any point same with SMU.
You lost me at "Placating the schools currently carrying the conference isn't a bad thing". You really can't be that serious or oblivious. Those teams you want to kiss @$$ with are sabotaging the conference, are 100 percent leaving no matter anything we do if they get an invite and only one team of the group of three has done anything in the last 10 years at national champion level. FSU and UNC are paper tigers at best. I mean really man, I can't believe you actually believe what you said.

You lost me at "Placating the schools currently carrying the conference isn't a bad thing". You really can't be that serious or oblivious. Those teams you want to kiss @$$ with are sabotaging the conference, are 100 percent leaving no matter anything we do if they get an invite and only one team of the group of three has done anything in the last 10 years at national champion level. FSU and UNC are paper tigers at best. I mean really man, I can't believe you actually believe what you said.
If we just let them have the Sudetenland and Rhineland they'll stop...

So because of the longer GOR and not having a geographical advantage the ACC was reactive?

A few questions:

1- How do you know if those schools had any real interest/desire with joining the ACC? Could it not have been where it was always the B12 they preferred?

2- Why would those schools change UNC/FSU/Clemsons mind long term?

3- If the GOR was ending sooner the ACC would be much worse off. If those programs like the "lease" being shorter then it's still only a rental where they seek to move anyways is it not?

The ACC was late to the game in missing the opportunity of adding the more regional options the B12 gathered. That's where you can argue there was definitely a miss. But these other Pac 12 schools - I don't see it.

Not one pac12 team was a miss. They weren’t coming and as I’m sure you remember while others have amnesia, the ASU AD laughed about coming to the ACC and called out SU as his example.

As you may know, the Mexican food in Tucson is unbelievable.
Oh my lord yes. All of the food is. I've even had some amazing Italian food there which makes no sense.

We are heading backl at the end of Sept for parents weekend and to watch Arizona v Washington. And eating a lot.

The ranked schools generating buzz for the conference and keeping us #3 on the pecking order which we absolutely were with OU and Texas leaving the Big 12? Who's actually left the ACC again? The Big 12 can lose those schools but is better than the ACC because they added BYU?

If those 3 leave find the next best options you can likely raid the Big 12. This is just desperate and now makes us complicit in the geographic nonsense.

How did taking Notre Dame in during covid as a full member for a year go for the ACC again? How does this possibly help?

Oh my lord yes. All of the food is. I've even had some amazing Italian food there which makes no sense.

We are heading backl at the end of Sept for parents weekend and to watch Arizona v Washington. And eating a lot.
Bear down

The ranked schools generating buzz for the conference and keeping us #3 on the pecking order which we absolutely were with OU and Texas leaving the Big 12? Who's actually left the ACC again? The Big 12 can lose those schools but is better than the ACC because they added BYU?

If those 3 leave find the next best options you can likely raid the Big 12. This is just desperate and now makes us complicit in the geographic nonsense.

How did taking Notre Dame in during covid as a full member for a year go for the ACC again? How does this possibly help?
Get some sleep Frankie its been a big day.

Not one pac12 team was a miss. They weren’t coming and as I’m sure you remember while others have amnesia, the ASU AD laughed about coming to the ACC and called out SU as his example.
Makes no sense. The ASU Prez would rather play Kansas St and Iowa State and not real football powers like FSU, Miami and Clemson? Sorry, the Big 12 is a big step down from the ACC. Also, Maybe he’s not aware that WVU is like 90 miles from Pittsburgh. And Central Florida and Cincy are also eastern time zone teams.

Raiders were the only NFL franchise that tarped off part of their stadium. Virtually every NFL team sells out every game and has a long ST waiting list.

A's have awful attendance.

Stanford can't even sell out the ND and USC games.
Some areas, I dare say most, can't afford two teams in the same sport. The Boston Braves had to leave Boston. The Philly A's had to leave Phil. The St Louis Browns had to leave St Louis. The Bay area can't afford two teams in the same sport playing there. Neither could Boston, Philly and St louis. Hell, the Dodgers and Giants left NY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom