ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 319 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Even when BC is great, their support is tepid. UMASS is the state flagship university of Massachusetts which is a state with more than 6 million residents. So, yea, I think if UMASS were to get on a real upswing they would have a much larger following than BC ever would. Can Don Brown get them there, maybe, they are close to being good if they can get their starting QB back on the field,
That isn't true though. They had a packed stadium and huge national interest and press when they were good.

I’ve been wondering the same thing for months. I mean good academic schools. Athletics are underwhelming. All I can see is location - kind of like the B17 adding Buttgers for their location.
Football is underwhelming. They just won a basketball title in 2019. They have a great overall athletic department.

UMass is fkkkked unless the state starts funding them like a flagship FBS football school. They have half-assed every step of this process and are running out of time to be taken seriously.

There are plenty of people who will care if they have a respectable football and/or basketball product but that will only happen if the AD is funded as it needs to be. That starts with major renovations to the football stadium. They are getting better about paying coaches and giving them a decent assistant pool but that has to be the start, not the finish.

I am hopeless about it until I have a reason not to be but it's far from impossible. Very frustrating as one of the rare recent alums who cares deeply.

It won't be a major conference but if the MAC or AAC comes calling for them to join all-sports the answer has to be yes before they hang up the phone. No reason to even consider saying no.
If Phommachahn hadn't gotten hurt would probably be 4-1 right now, bad break for them.

If memory serves there’s some type of law with NFL and college football having to play opposite one another.
There’s a college football game on espn today at the same time the NFL game is on Amazon

Swaim's record on this and everything else he attempts to post on speaks for itself.

September 2023:

August 2023:

April 2023:
”The unhappiness within the league stems from the ACC’s current media rights deal which is locked in through 2036.”.… Weren’t FSU and UNC the ones that pushed for the conference tv deal to be made in unfavorable conditions when it was done? Now they are crying about their deal?

If memory serves there’s some type of law with NFL and college football having to play opposite one another.
The present NFL exists because of an exemption from the antitrust laws Congress gave it. If they made any sort of motion toward playing on Saturdays between Labor Day weekend and the weekend after Thanksgiving, Congress would move very swiftly to end the exemption and open them up to being dissolved under antitrust laws.

The present NFL exists because of an exemption from the antitrust laws Congress gave it. If they made any sort of motion toward playing on Saturdays between Labor Day weekend and the weekend after Thanksgiving, Congress would move very swiftly to end the exemption and open them up to being dissolved under antitrust laws.
that makes sense

I'm not a lawyer but I play one on the internet.
That is no doubt part of a good legal defense. It's not the lawsuit filed against the ACC by a few teams that those few teams need to worry about it. It's the lawsuit filed against them by the ACC that would be their problem! That would likely occur in NC too, the site of ACC headquarters. (I'm not a lawyer even though I was once admitted to law school.) With regard to malicious rumors, it sounds like "the Dude of West Virginia" all over again.

One other thing - remember the old saying, something like psychotics live in a castle in the clouds and psychiatrists collect the rent? This is true for litigants and lawyers too. An aggrieved party may want to go to court in a civil lawsuit - the case may not be as strong as the litigant thinks but the lawyer will still receive fees (absent loss in a tort - personal injury or death - case), millions of $$ in the potential subject case of which we speak. (It might go all the way to the US Supreme Court and suppose they rule against the litigants?) Of course a law firm would want to "represent" the schools! Just think of the money! A very famous and very rich lawyer in South Florida (even has a law school named after himself) who was a family friend of my wife and mother in law once told my wife "a lawyer is only good for themself".

One last thing - who are these 7 teams that want to destroy the ACC (their home) for the "good" of just 3 others? This would be like crabs in a barrel. That one crab will be pulled back by the others. Twelve teams voted for 3 new members for good reasons: to bring in more $$$ and strengthen the conference. I just don't see it.

Last edited:
UVA. That may seem to you like saying Stanford brings Stanford, but UVA is a state flagship, in a not small state that has wealth and produces a goodly amount of talent.

UVA is worth a good deal.
Sadly the civil war continues for way too many. I was on vacation in Florida almost 10 years ago, not too long after SU joined the ACC. Went kayaking on a group tour at a preserve. We had SU shirts on and they paired us (my husband and myself) up with a father/adult daughter couple. Exchanged pleasantries at first. Then the father started on a mini tirade how SU, BC, Pitt etc didn’t belong in the ACC. Huh - wondered where this came from - strange. He said he was a Duke professor for over 15 years, his daughter, was a Duke alum and current grad student. Funny because when I asked him where he was from - Indiana - I asked him if he felt welcomed when he started if his attitude was prevalent at Duke about non southerners. Ignored it except for saying southerners and midwesterners had much in common. I was shocked at his dismissive, insulting attitude from out of the blue. (His daughter was quiet)He went off how we weren’t Atlantic nor coastal like all the other teams. I told him Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, new member Louisville (who he strangely didn’t mention) were almost just as far if not further west but he said Virginia and Georgia’s boundaries were on the Atlantic though but he wasn’t happy when I reminded him that New York was too. (Obviously not a geography professor) He said he thought it would end up breaking up the conference because other conference members were even more upset than Duke. We purposely drifted away for the rest of that 2 hour trip. He made it clear that northerners weren’t welcome in the ACC. Had hoped that he was just some random Duke snob weirdo but all this current stuff makes me wonder.

I don’t want this to become a political debate. If so I’ll move it. It was just a true story that all these conference threats brought it all back to me.

If you think this political BS is going to fly on the football board, keep it up.

You'll be watching this thread with no input ability.

Not a threat - just a fact. You've been around long enough to know the rules.

FWIW, I took his post more comedic in nature than an actual, literal political discussion on this football board.

IMO, it's just unreal how so many here take themselves so seriously at times, even when it seemingly appears obvious that it's simply a moment of lightening/amusement...nothing else. Perhaps poor taste, but actual political banter, I don't think so.

Sadly the civil war continues for way too many. I was on vacation in Florida almost 10 years ago, not too long after SU joined the ACC. Went kayaking on a group tour at a preserve. We had SU shirts on and they paired us (my husband and myself) up with a father/adult daughter couple. Exchanged pleasantries at first. Then the father started on a mini tirade how SU, BC, Pitt etc didn’t belong in the ACC. Huh - wondered where this came from - strange. He said he was a Duke professor for over 15 years, his daughter, was a Duke alum and current grad student. Funny because when I asked him where he was from - Indiana - I asked him if he felt welcomed when he started if his attitude was prevalent at Duke about non southerners. Ignored it. He said southerners and midwesterners had much in common. I was shocked at his dismissive, insulting attitude from out of the blue. (His daughter was quiet)He went off how we weren’t Atlantic nor coastal like all the other teams. I told him Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, new member Louisville (who he strangely didn’t mention) were almost just as far if not further west but he said Virginia and Georgia’s boundaries were on the Atlantic though but he wasn’t happy when I reminded him that New York was too. (Obviously not a geography professor) He said he thought it would end up breaking up the conference because other conference members were even more upset than Duke. We purposely drifted away for the rest of that 2 hour trip. He made it clear that northerners weren’t welcome in the ACC. Had hoped that he was just some random Duke snob weirdo but all this current stuff makes me wonder.
Southern hospitality is the biggest lie.

I got a good dig in to an Ole Miss fan who came up to me and my friends at the Mandalay Bay sports book the day the news story of us leaving the Big East broke. He was a heavyset older man wearing an Ole Miss polo that was clinging for its life and he just chanted SEC in our faces. Told him that an Ole Miss fan bragging about the SEC is like a DePaul fan bragging about the Big East. I thought it was funny. It didn't register to him.

You may be on to how we can get Disney to actually pay us better: change name to Bi Coastal, and then emphasize all things bi-sexual. Disney will slobber all over us.

Anybody think Dino would help out by coaching in nice mini skirt and blonde wig?

This feels like a post by someone unsure about themselves more than anything else. Very weird post.

Sadly the civil war continues for way too many. I was on vacation in Florida almost 10 years ago, not too long after SU joined the ACC. Went kayaking on a group tour at a preserve. We had SU shirts on and they paired us (my husband and myself) up with a father/adult daughter couple. Exchanged pleasantries at first. Then the father started on a mini tirade how SU, BC, Pitt etc didn’t belong in the ACC. Huh - wondered where this came from - strange. He said he was a Duke professor for over 15 years, his daughter, was a Duke alum and current grad student. Funny because when I asked him where he was from - Indiana - I asked him if he felt welcomed when he started if his attitude was prevalent at Duke about non southerners. Ignored it. He said southerners and midwesterners had much in common. I was shocked at his dismissive, insulting attitude from out of the blue. (His daughter was quiet)He went off how we weren’t Atlantic nor coastal like all the other teams. I told him Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, new member Louisville (who he strangely didn’t mention) were almost just as far if not further west but he said Virginia and Georgia’s boundaries were on the Atlantic though but he wasn’t happy when I reminded him that New York was too. (Obviously not a geography professor) He said he thought it would end up breaking up the conference because other conference members were even more upset than Duke. We purposely drifted away for the rest of that 2 hour trip. He made it clear that northerners weren’t welcome in the ACC. Had hoped that he was just some random Duke snob weirdo but all this current stuff makes me wonder.

I don’t want this to become a political debate. If so I’ll move it. It was just a true story that all these conference threats brought it all back to me.
Those folks want to go back to the regional ACC prior to 1990 when with some difficulty FSU was admitted. You may not know this but several schools (Duke was one, maybe UNC or Wake another) voted against the move initially but later the conference made the vote unanimous as it would insure its survival against the SEC. The SEC would have admitted FSU but Bowden saw an easier path to the NC and basketball $$$ at that time was greater than FB $$$. The SEC was severely pi**ed as they thought they would put FSU in the SE conference and then "shut them up". We (and Miami) were making too much noise in the SE. UF stopped playing Miami supposedly because of the difficulty of their SEC schedule. The real reason is that Miami was beating them like a drum. I always heard that UF, UGa, Kentucky, and S Carolina had a pact to vote against FSU, Ga Tech, UL, and Clemson. They don't need them as they are already in those states and they do not want to help their in-state rivals with recruiting or $$$.

That guy you met was living in the past. Those days are gone forever. We have arrived at 1959's "Airplane Conference" idea.

Last edited:
Even when BC is great, their support is tepid. UMASS is the state flagship university of Massachusetts which is a state with more than 6 million residents. So, yea, I think if UMASS were to get on a real upswing they would have a much larger following than BC ever would. Can Don Brown get them there, maybe, they are close to being good if they can get their starting QB back on the field,
Umass is in Amherst. People in the Eastern half of the state think that is hicksville. B.C. is still in Boston. And when they were good, people in the state cared a lot.

Sadly the civil war continues for way too many. I was on vacation in Florida almost 10 years ago, not too long after SU joined the ACC. Went kayaking on a group tour at a preserve. We had SU shirts on and they paired us (my husband and myself) up with a father/adult daughter couple. Exchanged pleasantries at first. Then the father started on a mini tirade how SU, BC, Pitt etc didn’t belong in the ACC. Huh - wondered where this came from - strange. He said he was a Duke professor for over 15 years, his daughter, was a Duke alum and current grad student. Funny because when I asked him where he was from - Indiana - I asked him if he felt welcomed when he started if his attitude was prevalent at Duke about non southerners. Ignored it except for saying southerners and midwesterners had much in common. I was shocked at his dismissive, insulting attitude from out of the blue. (His daughter was quiet)He went off how we weren’t Atlantic nor coastal like all the other teams. I told him Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, new member Louisville (who he strangely didn’t mention) were almost just as far if not further west but he said Virginia and Georgia’s boundaries were on the Atlantic though but he wasn’t happy when I reminded him that New York was too. (Obviously not a geography professor) He said he thought it would end up breaking up the conference because other conference members were even more upset than Duke. We purposely drifted away for the rest of that 2 hour trip. He made it clear that northerners weren’t welcome in the ACC. Had hoped that he was just some random Duke snob weirdo but all this current stuff makes me wonder.

This man was paid to educate young people.

”The unhappiness within the league stems from the ACC’s current media rights deal which is locked in through 2036.”.… Weren’t FSU and UNC the ones that pushed for the conference tv deal to be made in unfavorable conditions when it was done? Now they are crying about their deal?
Yes.

FSU is perennially unhappy about money. Back in 2012, they wanted more money immediately and ESPN said sure, you can get a minor increase if you sign up for a longer time.

The contract was extended again in 2016 to again get a small increase in fees (and the ACC Network).

FSU, also perennially stupid, pushed these through and screwed the whole conference for 20 more years.

Huh? 2+7+7=16 You're the 17th team and you don't play yourself.
it doesn’t work like that. If you go ahead and mock this out giving everyone 2 perms and then give everyone either SU or BC, Pitt or Louisville, UVA or VA Tech, UNV or NC State, Duke or Wake, Clemson or GA Tech, FSU or Miami, Stanford or Cal you will end up with 9 games for everyone except UNC who will have 8 in 2024 and NC State who will have 8 in 2025.

2x7/7 is mathematically impossible given 17 teams.

it doesn’t work like that. If you go ahead and mock this out giving everyone 2 perms and then give everyone either SU or BC, Pitt or Louisville, UVA or VA Tech, UNV or NC State, Duke or Wake, Clemson or GA Tech, FSU or Miami, Stanford or Cal you will end up with 9 games for everyone except UNC who will have 8 in 2024 and NC State who will have 8 in 2025.

2x7/7 is mathematically impossible given 17 teams.
Simplest way to see this is by considering that every game requires two participants. If 17 teams each play 9 games that's 153 participant games. That's 76 games with two teams and one participant with no opponent. The math doesn't work no matter how you try to spin it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom